Foglights! now daytime pics!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Foglights! now daytime pics!

Post by thebigbread »

i havent really messed with my car in a while, so i just had to buy something :o
actually i saw these & walmart & thought they would be great to replace the stock lights. They are only 55W, but i believe Sylvania makes Silverstars to fit these (H3).

Wattage roundup:
headlights (high/low): 65/55
foglights: 55

so, combined = 240 high/220 low, yipee ki yay!

The lights themselves are about the same as the stock, but they leave about a inch on each side right/left. they are not actually mounted to the original mounts, but mounted [/i]on the bumper, but i plan to make a bracket to mount to the stock locations.

P.S. for those who wonder what will i do for front turn signals, i have already rewired the stock corner lights to use as turn signals.
Last edited by thebigbread on Tue May 08, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

looks really nice, how many watts is the bulb?
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Re: Foglights!

Post by thebigbread »

thebigbread wrote:

Wattage roundup:
headlights (high/low): 65/55
foglights: 55
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Interesting.
What kind of wiring did you do for load-carrying? Any wires getting "warm?"
How well did the fogs fit in the turn signal slots - perhaps a daylight photo? To make the turning intention more obvious, perhaps the 4WD among us could wire our pretty useless inside parking lights* in tandem with the corner lights as well - has anyone done this?
What is the brand of light to enable sourcing elsewhere (I have a thing about entering a Sleaze-Mart store...)?
Thanks!
Tom M.
*I noticed that two of the three photos in my '86 dealer brochure have these parking lenses tinted orange, matching the corners
- anyone have this setup?
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Interesting.
What kind of wiring did you do for load-carrying? Any wires getting "warm?"
How well did the fogs fit in the turn signal slots - perhaps a daylight photo? To make the turning intention more obvious, perhaps the 4WD among us could wire our pretty useless inside parking lights* in tandem with the corner lights as well - has anyone done this?
What is the brand of light to enable sourcing elsewhere (I have a thing about entering a Sleaze-Mart store...)?
Thanks!
Tom M.
*I noticed that two of the three photos in my '86 dealer brochure have these parking lenses tinted orange, matching the corners - anyone have this setup?
about the wiring-- it is not built "into" the tercel's wiring, it has a seperate fused wire going to the battery. in Other words, not the stock wiring. about fitting, there is about 1-1/4" inch of space between each the light & the bumper on each side. Autozone carries these, & they make a bigger, similar style, except it comes with a remote. Daylight photo? sure thing later tomorrow :D The brand is navigator, by pilot. Autozone carries them.

P.S. stock lights are still up for sale or trade. id hate to throw away them when someone else could use them.
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Re: Foglights! Now daytime pics added!

Post by thebigbread »

day pics added
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks - looks good!

Also a nice installation of the switch; I presume that came with the kit? Did you cut the dash boss with a Dremel tool?
For some reason I thought you used a relay to tie them into the regular switch so they were on whenever your headlights were on, regardless of the beam position. Apparently you control them with the illuminated switch "...only when I need them off-road, Officer." ?

Jts posted a very helpful link to foglight wiring when I was installing my backup light last December; the installation shown used a 3-position switch: always on (tied into either/both hi and lo beam circuits; always off; and manual override (tied into 12V from the ignition switch so you did not leave them on w/o the ignition being on). This seemed like a cool way to do it.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Thanks - looks good!

Also a nice installation of the switch; I presume that came with the kit? Did you cut the dash boss with a Dremel tool?
For some reason I though you used a relay to tie them into the regular switch so they were on whenever your headlights were on, regardless of the beam position. Apparently you control them with the illuminated switch "...only when I need them off-road, Officer." ?

Jts posted a very helpful link to foglight wiring when I was installing my backup light last December; the installation shown used a 3-position switch: always on (tied into either/both hi and lo beam circuits; always off; and manual override (tied into 12V from the ignition switch so you did not leave them on w/o the ignition being on). This seemed like a cool way to do it.
Tom M.
yes, the switch came with the kit, but i do not own a dremel, i used a small drill bit around the corners then cut it with a jigsaw.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Nice. I have a suggestion on the switch for anyone who may want to do a sorta stock looking install.

I used another defrost switch I picked up at the yard and 'modded' the little lens that has the defrost logo on it. Then wired the wires for the light and ran the wires from the switch down behind the dash. I haven't mounted the new lamps yet, but the switch fits perfectly below the other and looks as close to a stock foglamp switch as most of us will ever get. I'll put up some pics soon.

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Heyyy - Welcome Back - It's been a while - I guess the new kiddo has been taking up time - girl or boy?

Using the defrost switch is exactly what I have thought about using - just waiting for another member to get back to me with
the switch - glad to hear it works! I presume you are using it to trigger a relay to actually power the lights?

Good to hear ya! I'll be spending a lot of time in St. Chuck this Summer, gkidsitting and catsitting (different daughters...).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
graphiteblimp99
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984, Toyota, Tercel, SR 5, Push Guard, Fog Lights

Re: Foglights! now daytime pics!

Post by graphiteblimp99 »

What do you have as a blinker for the front, or do you not use one now?
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

graphiteblimp99 wrote:What do you have as a blinker for the front, or do you not use one now?
the side lights. Yellows up by the headlights.
graphiteblimp99
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984, Toyota, Tercel, SR 5, Push Guard, Fog Lights

Post by graphiteblimp99 »

Did you have to wire that or because I drive mine all the time I've never noticed that they blink?
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Nope, corner lights are not wired to blinkers- I've always thought that they should be though. I like the placement- on top of the bumper is just asking for a parking lot nerf to bust them up.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Highlander wrote:Nope, corner lights are not wired to blinkers- I've always thought that they should be though. I like the placement- on top of the bumper is just asking for a parking lot nerf to bust them up.

Yeh, he wired them up to blink, they dont do that factory.

I also agree that they should blink anyway, it just makes more sense that they should. The lower ones on mine get busted out in the sand ALL THE TIME. It's so annoying.