Hello from Vermont! New member with transmission fluid questions.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mntnrunner516
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel SR5. 2" lift, weber car conversion

Hello from Vermont! New member with transmission fluid questions.

Post by Mntnrunner516 »

Hey y'all. I'm Brian from Vermont. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 1984 Tercel SR5 in blue. It originally came from Oregon, than Connecticut, than Vermont. The good news is that the car is in sound mechanical shape. As it's starting to get warm enough to work on it, I am wondering what the procedure is for a transmission fluid change and what brand y'all would recommend. Really excited to be here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Hello from Vermont! New member with transmission fluid questions.

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

lots of good information on keeping your Tercel on the road is available in the archives, what ever you need to know, is somewhere in the archives.

doing gear oil changes in the trans is the best way to keep it working. see the links below for good info. most important you get all of the new oil back into it before you put it back on the road (not so easy, 4.1 quarts in transaxle). see the links below for good info:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11654&p=88448&hilit=gear+oil#p88448

some good general maintenance and inspection recommendations are here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2398&p=30752&hilit=gear+oil#p30752
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Don't forget to check the rubber shifter boot also.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

An important part when draining the oil is to take out the transfer case crossover plug, it's the 19mm head bolt on the bottom, near the back of the transmission. This will let all of the oil in the transfer case drain out as well. When filling, put that bolt in 2 turns or so because that's how oil gets back into the transfer case.
The manual says to fill from the plug that's impossible to access in the transmission tunnel. I find it much easier to jack up the left side of the car as high as I can get it, then fill from the differential plug. It's considerably easier to access.