Fini - The Last Of A Long Line

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Fini - The Last Of A Long Line

Post by GLet71 »

I was looking through the site the other day, and I noticed two things: one, I was feeling nostalgic for the whole list of Tercels I once own, and two, now that I've sold off 'Ron', the last of my Tercels, I needed to update my profile pic.

So, in an absolute impulse, I made a determination I still needed to own a Tercel, promptly went to eBay, and came up with this...I'm proud to present 'Fini', currently not running, needs a bit of suspension work (maybe a Barto lift), but otherwise it's quite rust free!
IMG_20201018_160429.jpg
IMG_20201018_160455.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Fini - The Last Of A Long Line

Post by NWMO »

oooooohh, one of the rare French toyotas!

Any word from Ron? I can't remember if the new owner is online here (I thought he was) or the Facebook page? Careful with that nostalgia or the next one you buy may be a little larger :).

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Wow, Ron has moved on -- crazy. Where is the new owner located, Greg? I like the new wheels though, looks mint.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Glad you are still in the Tercel family Greg.

dlb, Ron is still in Nelson apparently, but I haven't spotted him yet.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

Yes, Ron is staying local, and Perry the parts car went with it. The guy who bought it is a total Toyota fanboy, has a terrific looking mid-80's 4Runner which is nearly as colourful...we were all happy to see it go to a good home, and even stayed close by!
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3-ZTpABC1Q

My roommate sent these in and let me choose one of them for my bday. I picked the purple one! For what they are, they're fairly detailed and have legit suspension haha
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Speaking of French Influence with the Tercel, There has been discussion that the Tercel Wagon was designed after the Renault 18 wagon and Renault 5. I can see the French influence in the design. Definatly a bit of Citroen Quirk to the design as well!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Mattel wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:39 pm Speaking of French Influence with the Tercel, There has been discussion that the Tercel Wagon was designed after the Renault 18 wagon and Renault 5. I can see the French influence in the design. Definatly a bit of Citroen Quirk to the design as well!
many of the early Japanese cars for export were patterned after successful European cars, the Nissan 1600/S2000 was like the MGB, the Nissan patrol and Toyota land cruiser was like the British Layland land cruiser, the old Datsun 510 was very similar to the BMW 1600 sedan, and so fourth. the mazda miata was very specifically designed as a "modern" lotus elan. I guess they felt the early quirky purely Japanese cars and trucks just looked too "asian" or something for the export market. Now those odd old Japanese cars with the bug eyes and big windows are collector's items.

never considered the Tercel4wd as looking like a European car, but now that you mention it, the Renault is reminiscent of the Tercel look. but much more useful and practical, and certainly better made than anything that ever came out of a french car factory.

Interesting however, all of the Japanese versions were much better built and more reliable than their European counterparts, and in the early days, much less costly too. perhaps that was why no one really took them as a serious threat in the 1960s and '70s, they looked like cheaper copies of the "real" things. but the Japanese had big plans, and of course, both the US and European makers can only blame themselves, at that time their quality and skill at innovation had sunk to a low. the US makers sold crappy unreliable cars, and japan makers beat them at their own game with better quality for less cost.

And as price of fuel kept rising, suddenly the economical Japanese cars looked like genius. Idiot management in the US companies made their the first attempts at economy cars in the USA: they were total disasters, the Gremlin, the Vega, the Pinto. someone should have taken the idiot management out and publicly executed them for stupidity. they thought that small meant cheaply made. both Europe and japan had highly sought after small cars that were not cheap. I still loath US made cars and trucks because they have and will never regain my trust, I have owned chrylers, GM and Ford trucks and vans. what poorly executed vehicles, I resented owning them, and working on them (often redsigning the fecal brain designs they screwed up, like in the ford passenger van, there was no way to defrost the windsheild and have the rear heater on at the same time, so people in the back freeze or you can not see out the windsheild!!!! easy fix by rearraning the on/off switches on the heater controls, the repeated failed chrysler engine mounts I redesigned and had a metal shop make me a good one that will not fail).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Maybe that explains some of my infatuation with our wagons (just recently acquired my 12th.) Prior to Tercels, I had a bunch of Renault LeCars (ie Renault 5's)- no comparison when it comes to reliability and parts availability. Don't know what I'll do when the world runs out of Tercel wagons...
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

My first car was a Renault 5L. Wicked gas mileage, but if there were four people in the car you had to get out and flip a lever to point the headlights down towards the roadway. Hilarious. Put lost of miles on that car. The engine was mounted backwards and the shifter went though the dash.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

IMGP6120.JPG
IMGP6124.JPG
Hey Fini,

Ready for a road trip, maybe a meet and greet! Also wondering if you have a source for parts. Lost my hatch off roading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Post by Erikwi »

i tried to get one but it got lost in the mail from japan.
sadly i could not find a us seller