Tercel Rear Seat Shoulder Belt

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Tercel Rear Seat Shoulder Belt

Post by ALiveSR5 »

When I got my Tercel SR5, it only had rear seat lap belts. However, we needed to strap in a child safety seat and knew that later we would want/need our child strapped in with a shoulder seat belt, in the back seat.

If I recall correctly, I inquired about shoulder seat belts at our local Toyota dealership and was surprised to learn that they actually existed, so I ordered one for each side.

When they finally arrived, I told the parts counter person that the colors did not match. He told me that they were the last 2 in the entire world - I did not complain about the mismatched color anymore. :lol:

As it turned out, the Tercel had the bolt mount for the shoulder belt already built in the body - all I had to do was cut a bolt hole through the side panel.
~
TercelSeatBelt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Tercel Rear Seat Shoulder Belt

Post by dlb »

One of my t4's had these. 5th pic down here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9426
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi ALive. Yes, in Australia we had mandatory inertia reel belts in the back of all Tercels (Tercel 4wd Wagon was the only vehicle of the range offered here) so I imagine the tooling would have been to expensive to change for USA so they just covered the holes. they also came with a neat little hook to put them out of the way when not in use. I sent a set to member Archinstl (who has since passed away) from Australia to the US ten years ago but I don't think he ended up fitting them.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

dlb wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:32 pm One of my t4's had these. 5th pic down here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9426
It looks like that over the years you have discovered many or most of the Tercel secrets. Found some gems, you have.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Mattel wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:48 pm Hi ALive. Yes, in Australia we had mandatory inertia reel belts in the back of all Tercels (Tercel 4wd Wagon was the only vehicle of the range offered here) so I imagine the tooling would have been to expensive to change for USA so they just covered the holes. they also came with a neat little hook to put them out of the way when not in use. I sent a set to member Archinstl (who has since passed away) from Australia to the US ten years ago but I don't think he ended up fitting them.
That's interesting! I would not have guessed that there were so many small variants, based on where the same model vehicle was sold. It is also interesting how popular the Tercel is/was world-wide. Pretty cool!
~
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

different countries have different requirements, the USA did not require rear shoulder belts when these cars were imported, but other countries did. that may have been the last NEW set of rear belts available, but I am sure there are many sitting in wrecking yards where they required rear shoulder belts, if only you can get someone to find a set, remove them and ship them to you. likely you could rig some aftermarket rear seat belts with a shoulder harness, but that would take some fabrication of brackets and such.

I never have people in the back seat very often, perhaps once or twice a year, so I am not worried too much about it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Petros, I imagine all the brackets are already there (perhaps by looking under the back seat would be easiest) it's probably just the fastners you would need. Knowing Toyota - belts from a similar vintage Corolla or Camry from that vintage would probably just bolt straight in.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Mattel wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 am I imagine all the brackets are already there (perhaps by looking under the back seat would be easiest) it's probably just the fastners you would need.
the mounts are there under the trim, I have seen it, but if you are going to install after market seat belts, that are available, you would not just need the bolts, but you may need a simple braket to make it hang properly.

But as I pointed out, I do not need them anymore more since I very rarely have anyone in the back seat any more. my children are all grown and gone, and not too many people I know are willing to let be borrow their children to ride around in the back of my car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)