Big Boys Don't Cry - Or Do They?

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Big Boys Don't Cry - Or Do They?

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Greetings All. For my first post, I'll jump right in and make a fool of myself.

Yesterday (9/18/2020), I learned that my cherished 1985 Tercel SR5 AWD wagon would no longer pass Pennsylvania State Safety Inspection, because of rust and rot in portions of the frame rail and various mount points. It is still quite drive-able and solid on the road. Unfortunately, for me, I have not the knowledge, equipment, or means to fix it, if it can be fixed.

Having been disabled, for over 30 years, gathering the strength and funds to maintain my Tercel has been challenging, to say the least. Now, I am at another crossroads (no pun intended - but it works). Here are some of the options that I thought of and welcome other suggestions.

1) Through this group (and other sources) I could learn of off-road trails/courses in eastern Pennsylvania where my Tercel and I could play, though I would have to trailer it, after 9/30/2020. It would be fun to drive a beginner's trail at least once, before letting my Tercel go.

2) I could find a buyer who has the ability and means to show my Tercel some new adventures.

3) I could sell it for salvage.

4) Just keep it and let my estate dispose of it.

I never imaged having to let go of my Tercel, before it reached 300,000 miles - I just assumed it would outlive me.
~
TercelFront.jpg
TercelTop.jpg
TercelLeft.jpg
TercelRight.jpg
TercelBack.jpg
TercelBackSeat.jpg
TercelFrontSeat.jpg
TercelGuages.jpg
TercelDash.jpg
TercelEngine.jpg
(thought I should add a shot of the engine compartment)
~
Like other Tercel enthusiasts, I acquired numerous spare parts, in my attempt to use as many original Toyota parts as possible, which I should sell to people who would truly appreciate them.

I could use some suggestions on how to determine what my Tercel (and spare parts) would be worth, if I were to sell them, as I wrestle with how much my Tercel is worth to me and what its realistic market value would be.

Suggestions for any drive-able trails in eastern PA would be worth considering.

This is all new to me, so any input on how to deal with my "loss" would be appreciated.

I don't know if "big boys" cry or not but this is a heart-breaker for me. Thanks for being here. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ALiveSR5 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: Big Boys Don't Cry - Or Do They?

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

That looks too clean! I don't know about Pennsylvania inspections, but some places you can find an independent shop who will pass it in exchange for a little "monetary motivation."
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:32 pm That looks too clean! I don't know about Pennsylvania inspections, but some places you can find an independent shop who will pass it in exchange for a little "monetary motivation."
Yeah. The guys at the independent shop that I have been using for years, and who are buddies with my brother, have been letting some minor stuff slide for years, then I would do the fix(es) myself. I was shown the rust/rot, while my Tercel was on the lift - I did not see it before.

They probably could have let it slide one more time, since I only put a few hundred miles on it a year, but the mechanic would be putting his driver's license and inspection certification on the line (and maybe his job). I do not know if the failure was reported to the state or who else to take it too for a second opinion.

For private property or off-road trail use, my Tercel would probably be fine, especially for someone who has the means to reinforce any weak spots.

Thank you for your suggestion.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

wow, that does seem like a shame. I don't know enough about frame rust but I assume with the right skills, anything is possible -- could someone theoretically reinforce the frame? And would that pass inspection? If so, maybe you can find someone who can do the work and keep the car on the road for a while yet.

Otherwise, I guess it would end up being one of the nicest parts cars anyone ever owned.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

dlb wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm wow, that does seem like a shame. I don't know enough about frame rust but I assume with the right skills, anything is possible -- could someone theoretically reinforce the frame? And would that pass inspection? If so, maybe you can find someone who can do the work and keep the car on the road for a while yet.

Otherwise, I guess it would end up being one of the nicest parts cars anyone ever owned.
Someone suggested that I get antique tags, which makes the car exempt from safety inspection and emissions testing. At least I would be able to drive it once a week, not that anyone would keep track.

I simply do not have the means to pay someone skilled enough to reinforce the frame. The body shop guys that I talked with said there was no way to tell the extent of rust, until repair work was started.

If it is not practical for me to keep, perhaps someone could get some enjoyment out of it, while it is still fairly well intact, though.

Thanks for the suggestion.
~
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Post by Kozuto_98 »

Man, that's a shame. Your wagon is so much cleaner than mine.
The frame can for sure be reinforced/remade, but it's like you've said it could be costly, especially because of not knowing how far in the damage goes.
I wish I was more knowledgeable on how Pennsylvania handles inspections. If I had to base it off NS inspections any frame or major rust is generally
a no no.

I would suggest searching around your area for a place that would be able to give either a better/more concrete price of the repair,
or maybe seeing what it would cost to have new frame made up from metal stock and welded in.

Part of the frame in my 87 wagon needed to be cut out and remade due to rust, so what I did was buy some 18 gauge steel from a junk furnace oil
tank and build the frame area from scratch. That costed me about 100 bucks Canadian after buying the metal, welding wire, paint, and undercoat spray. I understand your situation, so maybe if you have some friends or family members that might be able to do this for you that might help.

I wish you the best of luck!
Giving up amazing cars like these can be hard.
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Thanks, Kozuto_98, that is a pretty creative idea. I do not have any family, friends, or funds to rely on, for this kind of project. Though, I believe that doing what you suggested would likely work well, for beefing up my Tercel. I like the idea.
~
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

too bad about the inspection, but you left off two other options:

1) you could sell it out of state where they do not have those kinds of inspections. I do not know how extensive the rust, if it is really a safety hazard or if the shop is just worried about their own liability (safest thing they can do with any old car is say it is unsafe, no matter). I have seen tercels not pass east coast states safety inspection because of stupid torn dust boot (no any kind of hazard at all). But if it is not so bad a big hazard and there are not big holes through the floor, in Washington state a Tercel in that condition would sell for $3000.

2) as stated, have it licensed as a vintage/collectors vehicle. most states have this option, usually costs far less to registered, but typically they limit the miles driven to 1200 miles a year (varies by state, some are 2500 miles/year). this is intended to allow you to drive it to car shows each month, but not to use a daily commuting car. I knew someone in Nevada who had three T4wd each with collector plates, he would just rotate out all three as his driver and kept the mileage low. If you do not drive much, it is actually a reasonable thing to do, again assuming you do not have a real serious safety hazard with your car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Petros wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:44 pm welcome to the forum!

too bad about the inspection, but you left off two other options:
Thanks for the welcome, Petros!

Your points are right on target.

I believe that my Tercel is still safe enough to drive on the roads and I feel comfortable enough with its condition to drive it. Now that I know about the rust-out problem, it would be nice to get it fixed, while it still may be possible. Also, it is something that I would want a potential buyer to know about, so they know what they are getting. It would be great if I could get $3,000 and I believe that it could be driven from PA to WA, without any issues.

In PA, the antique license would allow me to drive it once per week, for any purpose - I am not into car shows or parades and such. The insurance company, however, imposes additional restrictions.

At this point, because of my age, declining health, and lack of funds, selling the Tercel to someone who truly appreciates how amazingly awesome they are and could have some enjoyable adventures with it, makes the most sense.

I could then try to sell all of the spare parts that I have, to help cover some of my health care expenses.

As difficult as it is to let go of such a great car in the condition that it is in, I suppose that I have to be practical and let it go.

I appreciate your insights. Now I have to start finding places to post it for sale.
~
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

ALiveSR5 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:51 am Now I have to start finding places to post it for sale.
I think this forum is one of the best places for finding a good home for it.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I agree with David. Parts of Missouri are still pretty hillbilly (I believe in a good way). I’ve put 60k miles on the Rusty Frog and it wouldn’t have passed many safety inspections elsewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

dlb wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:23 am
ALiveSR5 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:51 am Now I have to start finding places to post it for sale.
I think this forum is one of the best places for finding a good home for it.
That has been my impression, so far. Too bad that I did not learn about you folks sooner, so I could share in some playtime. :)
~
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

NWMO wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:42 am I agree with David. Parts of Missouri are still pretty hillbilly (I believe in a good way). I’ve put 60k miles on the Rusty Frog and it wouldn’t have passed many safety inspections elsewhere.
Mine is not even close to being that bad, yet. That is why I believe that someone with the knowledge, equipment, and skills could readily reinforce the frame/body areas, as needed.

I am sure that there is somebody out there who could do what I cannot.

I must say, it looks like that you have done a really nice job rebuilding those frame rail sections.
~
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I’m not good at pretty, but it’s usually stout.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi ALive, Don't sell it! I would be reaching out to Toyota clubs, forums and tradeschools who might be able to recoommend someone like a student or retiree that needs extra work. Remember it doesn't have to be beautiful as its under side like NWMO mentioned and if you can manage the prep work yours self of cutting and grinding and painting up the area beforehand. The historic plates tags are a great idea as well. My Vanagon is on them with 90 days a year. that makes it fine for most weekends. My Father has an electric bike for his mobility as an option to driving in good weather. good luck mate!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms