Big Boys Don't Cry - Or Do They?

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Re: Big Boys Don't Cry - Or Do They?

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Mattel wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:56 pm Hi ALive, Don't sell it! I would be reaching out to Toyota clubs, forums and tradeschools who might be able to recoommend someone like a student or retiree that needs extra work. Remember it doesn't have to be beautiful as its under side like NWMO mentioned and if you can manage the prep work yours self of cutting and grinding and painting up the area beforehand. The historic plates tags are a great idea as well. My Vanagon is on them with 90 days a year. that makes it fine for most weekends. My Father has an electric bike for his mobility as an option to driving in good weather. good luck mate!
I hear you :!: I did not have my camera, when the vehicle was on the lift. In a couple of days, I will try getting underneath to get some pictures to post, to get more specific suggestions.

The other consideration is health issues that keep me mostly home bound, so selling it to someone who can have some fun with it, rather than just seeing is sit, seems more "humane" to me.

Selling it is a hard thing to do but it needs to go to someone who has the ability to fix it and maintain it better than I am able - then go play.

I really appreciate your suggestions. :D
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

NWMO wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:42 am I agree with David. Parts of Missouri are still pretty hillbilly (I believe in a good way). I’ve put 60k miles on the Rusty Frog and it wouldn’t have passed many safety inspections elsewhere.
Below are two of the main spots that the inspection mechanic had issue with. Last year, the boss of the auto shop inspected my Tercel and passed it without question. Between last year's and this year's inspection, I only put 441 miles on the Tercel. So, the vehicle condition is essentially the same as it was last year, when it passed inspection. So, by brother, who is buddies with the auto shop owner, is going to try to get the boss to take another look, so maybe I can get a valid inspection sticker.
~
08LeftFrontFrame.jpg
13RightFrontFrameExhaust.jpg
~
Regardless, my sticking point is how to determine what a fair and reasonable value of the Tercel would be - I would like a win/win situation for a buyer and myself.

I have searched around this forum and the web to get a fair sense of value and, boy, it is confusing. The car is certainly drive-able (had it out for a nice drive, today, and filled the gas tank) but obviously will need some restoration.

It feels solid on the road and rides real nice - there are no shakes or shimmies or swaying - mechanically, the car is sound and seems safe to me.

I could really use input from members, here, on how critical the rust issue is, if members who restore Tercels are likely to be interested in my Tercel in its current condition, and how much I could reasonably expect to get for it.

Help with clarifying what to expect and how to proceed would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

I'm not sure on value or what you should do but I can assure you that the rust in your pictures are far from concerning to many of us on here. Several of my cars are considerably worse but I have not had any issues with them so far and I know people who run much more deteriorated cars (Ahem, NWMO). If you were to sell it, there would be several people who live in less structurally strict states that could drive it for many worry free years to come. My rough guess that around the Midwest it's probably a $1,200 to $1,500 car but prices are all over the place and sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right buyer, not the right price.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Yaut wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:24 pm I can assure you that the rust in your pictures are far from concerning to many of us on here.
:lol: Yes, NWMO posted pictures of his Rusty Frog. Apparently, in PA, pass/fail is up to the inspecting mechanic - I would have no problem driving it, otherwise. NWMO indicated that MO is one such "less structurally strict states" but no one from MO expressed an interest in buying it.

I also concluded that the rust would not be of concern to many on this forum. One member from PA, whose purchase of it is pending, has the means to patch it up. I also thought it to be worth $1,200 to $1,500 but factoring other issues, I was willing to accept $600 to $800, in PA. Finding the right buyer, not the price, is wise advice.

Thanks for your insights.
~
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

Good luck with the sale. If I didn't already have 3 everyday drivers and 3 parts cars, I would be very interested. Glad to hear it sounds like it will continue to be enjoyed!
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)