Another rescued T4WD

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Another rescued T4WD

Post by MrWrench »

Found this 1983 a few days ago. Managed to pick it up today. It's unfortunately missing the seats, the clinometer and has a bad transmission. The body is fairly solid and the engine looks really clean. It's a non power steering, non AC car.

Car originally came from Oregon and has a Oregon title. Unfortunately it was already filled out so I'm likely going to have to do a surety bond to get it legal.
IMG_20200522_162727.jpg
IMG_20200522_203552.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Another rescued T4WD

Post by dlb »

Ooooh, I love manual steering and no AC. Tiny, anemic engines like these really benefit from not having those extra duties. I got a manual steering and no AC 1991 corolla wagon recenty (2wd, mind you) and my first tank was 36 mpg and the second was 39 mpg. I couldn't believe it. Being a fuel economy miser, I was on cloud 9 after getting 39.

What's that brown stripe above the black rub strip? It looks like someone glued another rub strip or decorative strip to the car.

What's your plan for the car, parts or restore?
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Re: Another rescued T4WD

Post by MrWrench »

Well, the honest answer for the part out or restore question is both. Haha.
I'm going to swap a few of the parts and pieces that are nicer than the ones on the 86 to help my "restoration" of that car along.
I would ideally like to find a trans for it, get it installed with a new clutch. Put the slightly tattered interior from the other 83 field car find in it, go through the brakes and get her road worthy and sell it for $500 to a future or returning enthusiast for it to live on!
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.