1985 Tercel 4wd Restoration

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 1985 Tercel 4wd Restoration

Post by Mattel »

Great you got the cash but it's annoying that as the hit and run perpetrator is rich they won't have a mark against there name in the eyes of the law as they payed you out.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

cars-guy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 pm While the car was in paint for a couple weeks I took the time to clean up all of the parts that came off the car. The bumper frames got wire wheeled, stayed with rust converter and undercoated while the plastic got a thin coat of trim paint. The grill was cleaned and painted and the 4wd logos got touched up and the rest of the trim got cleaned. The mudflaps got the exposed metal support wire wheeled and coated, and in general every thing was cleaned, painted in some cases, rust proofed, and sprayed with Maxima SC1to protect it all and make it look new.

Great tip for installing gasketed windows. clean and spray a thick coat of SC1 on the gasket and let it sit for a day or two. It will soak into the rubber and soften it up plus its a very slippery coating and isn't potentially harmful to the rubber or paint like other lubricants. Apply it liberally again when you install the window and I swear it makes the gaskets pop right into place with little to no effort.

When I got the car back I just let it sit under a cover for 45 days to let the paint finish off gassing and then I cleaned it and applied mysterious science IE ceramic coat to the paint to protect it. Then I threw all the trim and every thing back on and here is the final result.

IMG_8870.JPGIMG_8869.JPG
Overall nice job but why is the rear garnish still gray? :o
K-Business
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

Great job! Thanks for bringing it back to life.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Just saw this post now. What an odyssey but wow, the car turned out sharp. Great work.
cars-guy
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by cars-guy »

So an update on the car. Forgot to take pictures of it but its a cool little mod. When I swapped the body panels over from my wrecked 84 to my 85 I had a problem. The antenna mounting had switched sides between those years. You'll notice in the photos the car doesn't have an antenna. I was going to cut a slot in the fender but I didn't have the tools and couldn't find some one to do it. I was also just eager to see the car with fresh paint.

What i did was get a little universal 4" shortie antenna for 6 bucks on amazon, stuck it on the mount, and then zip tied it sideways to the wiring harness under the fender. Put the fender liner back in and viola! I have decent radio reception (as good as i can get with the original head unit) and a nice and sleek looking body with no antenna or cut out. I wasn't sure if the antenna under the fender would work since it would be surrounded by metal but i guess antennas have gotten pretty good and theres enough of a gap in the wheel well to get reception.

So if you need to replace a fender but can only find one with the antenna on the wrong side, theres your solution. (and it makes the car look better imo)
IMG_9066.jpg
IMAG0195.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Dig your work dude!
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
cars-guy

Post by cars-guy »

Mattel wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:42 pm Great you got the cash but it's annoying that as the hit and run perpetrator is rich they won't have a mark against there name in the eyes of the law as they payed you out.
Thanks for the Compliment above. And don’t feel so bad, he’s still being charged because this isn’t his first dui. The da looked at the civil compromise and said, “that was nice you did that for that kid you hit, but you ain’t getting off that easy this time”
cars-guy

Post by cars-guy »

The exterior of the tercel is now finished. I managed to get my hands on a reproduction toyota sticker for the rear hatch. I didn't quite sand off the old sticker all the way even though I thought I did before paint. It pissed me off at first because after the car was painted you could still see a little outline of the sticker in the right light. Turned out to be useful because it made getting the perfect alignment and placement as easy as connect A to B for the new decal.
IMG_9892.jpg
IMG_9890.jpg
Theres not much left to do on this little car. It needs tie rods, a couple odd n ends for the interior (dome light covers, the rear hatch plastic trim, and the little trim piece that goes on top of the windshield for the headliner. If anyone has any of those id love to snag em so let me know) and id like to get the car on a lift so I can take care of the light surface rust before it gets worse and undercoat it. Maybe some day ill fix the tear in the drivers seat bolster. Other than that and basic servicing, this thing is just about finished

I also got the inclinometers from the old car mounted up and working. Heres some interior shots since i don't think I've ever posted it. I have a feeling the carpet has been replaced at some point too because its in way too good of shape, but then again so is the rest of the interior.
IMG_9894.jpg
IMG_9893.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

I have a dome light lens, I am planning on making a run to that junkyard I mentioned to you a few weeks back to get some parts. I'll grab the seat carpet holders and black speaker shelves for ya too!

May also have a black clinometer cover to trade?
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

MrWrench wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:45 am I have a dome light lens, I am planning on making a run to that junkyard I mentioned to you a few weeks back to get some parts. I'll grab the seat carpet holders and black speaker shelves for ya too!

Good on you Mr Wrench for helping a fellow Tercelian out!
cars-guy

Post by cars-guy »

MrWrench wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:45 am I have a dome light lens, I am planning on making a run to that junkyard I mentioned to you a few weeks back to get some parts. I'll grab the seat carpet holders and black speaker shelves for ya too!

Oh hell yes I’m so down. At first I didn’t recognize your account because I don’t think I’ve seen it on the forum yet 😂
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

[/quote]

Good on you Mr Wrench for helping a fellow Tercelian out!
[/quote]

Always happy to keep the Tercels on the road!
I have his old seats so we're trading parts back and forth. Haha.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
cars-guy

Post by cars-guy »

Well I’m happy to say the Tercel’s AC is working flawlessly now. I found a shop that was able to do an r134 conversion for pretty damn cheap compared to what other shops wanted. Looks like they did a damn good job too. All they did was replace a couple o rings, add the conversion kit, change the compressor oil, and fill it up with 134. He did say the low side pressure was a little higher than he would like to see so he pulled out just a little bit of refrigerant to bring it in check. The compressor is probably a tad worn from POs trying to run it without refrigerant so in a few years I’ll probably have to replace the compressor but for now, it blows ice cold.
19C1CE36-F0B0-4FDB-812C-AFA4A17015AB.jpeg
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Post by Erikwi »

nice
i tried to get my ac working but my shaft seal is leaking now i think because it leaked out.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

cars-guy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 pm When I got the car back I just let it sit under a cover for 45 days to let the paint finish off gassing and then I cleaned it and applied mysterious science IE ceramic coat to the paint to protect it. Then I threw all the trim and every thing back on and here is the final result.
Being relatively new to this group, I just found your post. What a story. I am glad that things worked out for you and that you got an even better T4 in the end, though you did have to do a lot of work - twice. :wink: Beautiful job :!:
Best wishes.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?