HVAC system conversion to servos!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

HVAC system conversion to servos!

Post by SirFoxx »

Converted the hvac system in my tercel to use servos! As a heads up, the lovely radio wiring was done by the previous owner haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBqqyH_ ... e=youtu.be
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Re: HVAC system conversion to servos!

Post by SirFoxx »

I know there isn't much interest, but I figured I'll upload some pictures of the controller. I'm super unhappy with the paint I picked. I thought it was matte black, but it was actually glossy.

For the people who haven't watched the video..

I converted my HVAC controls to use rc servos. When I got the car, all of the HVAC cables were seized, but the levers moved. However, when you move the lever, it actually is bending it. So, that left me with a temp range of warm to warm, and barely any vent control.

Voltage regulator is mounted to the bottom. It's set to 7.5v due to servo limits.

Arduino Uno is a programmable microcontroller. It reads the button inputs, and tells the servos to move within the user set limits.

Red and blue buttons are for the temp servo, green and orange are for vent direction servo.

Toggle switch is for coolant valve.

I'm reusing the AC button and blower motor switch.

The only HVAC control that is still cable operated is the recirc door. I always have mine on recirc, so it doesn't really need a servo.

For those saying "well, this is a first gen tercel, it won't work on a second gen tercel!" I'm like, 99% sure the HVAC system is identical between the two generations. Just like the drivetrain is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Keegan,

Thank you for the video and pics. My older son was in a robotics club (FIRST tech challenge) for two years in HS, so I have a limited knowledge of the components, etc. I assume you wrote a basic program for limit control. Did you use Android studio and JAVA programming? The home position is basically your first line of code, setting the servos to a start position?

We never got into the coding as much as my son wanted, the fellow leading the group found it easier to program himself, and we usually concentrated on the robot engineering to accomplish whatever that years challenge tasks were. Nice work, let us know how it holds up after you're back on the road please. I drove one year without much heat before deciding to clean/service/repair my system, it works much better now. I was going to link that discussion but I had a lot of photos that have been blurred by the "Photobucket Plague". If I can find the time, I will see if I can get away from the links and clean that thread up.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 am Keegan,

Thank you for the video and pics. My older son was in a robotics club (FIRST tech challenge) for two years in HS, so I have a limited knowledge of the components, etc. I assume you wrote a basic program for limit control. Did you use Android studio and JAVA programming? The home position is basically your first line of code, setting the servos to a start position?
So, the arduino uses C++. I have very little knowledge when it comes to programming. I found 80% of the code needed in a youtube video demonstrating servo functionality with buttons. From there, I had to add a few lines saying "if servo_x is past 120*, then stop".

I do not fully understand how RC servos work. However, their position can be read from the arduino, and when they receive power and are connected to the arduino / control signal source, they auto home to 90*. I have no code written for setting the home position.
We never got into the coding as much as my son wanted, the fellow leading the group found it easier to program himself, and we usually concentrated on the robot engineering to accomplish whatever that years challenge tasks were. Nice work, let us know how it holds up after you're back on the road please. I drove one year without much heat before deciding to clean/service/repair my system, it works much better now. I was going to link that discussion but I had a lot of photos that have been blurred by the "Photobucket Plague". If I can find the time, I will see if I can get away from the links and clean that thread up.

Chris
I'm hoping the servos stay in place. I'm not happy with how I have them mounted, but seem to be doing okay. However, only time will tell....

As for the photo bucket images, download the pictures, upload them to imgur, and replace the links in your article. It'll be time consuming, but itll be worth the effort. Orrrr, you could upload the pictures directly to the site, but I belive there is an 8mb per image limit, and non-users won't be able to view the pictures.
Aguila
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel sr5 hatchback

Post by Aguila »

Have you ever had an issue when turning on the a/c and smell fuel come in through the vent I am having that issue and cannot find no fuel line leak nothing.
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Post by Erikwi »

smell like what?
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

Aguila wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:06 pm Have you ever had an issue when turning on the a/c and smell fuel come in through the vent I am having that issue and cannot find no fuel line leak nothing.
Erikwi wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 pm smell like what?
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Post by Erikwi »

no. my ac had a leak when i tried to convert it. but no fuel smell.
now i have to take the compressor apart to change its internal o rings. not ones on top,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8ZqIEWDsA

near the end you can see it bubbling.
im so not looking forward to it.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Aguila wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:06 pm Have you ever had an issue when turning on the a/c and smell fuel come in through the vent I am having that issue and cannot find no fuel line leak nothing.
I would suspect either running rich (check the AAP diaphragm) or a problem with the evap system, eg a plugged charcoal canister, or the vent hose that goes to the charcoal can has come off of it, something like that.