4AGE Rally Tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: 4AGE Rally Tercel

Post by SirFoxx »

Petros wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 pm I think there should be a number of heat shields when the exhaust is on that side of the engine bay: fuel lines (or reroute), starter, steering u-joints, as well as the distributor. a header wrap should get most of it, and perhaps help keep the engine noise low.

the head pipe has to snake around the steering shaft and the rack, the distributor, and the starter motor (and the related wire bundles).
I agree with this haha. The bundle of wires that are near the starter on mine are definitely melted a little from it snagging the down pipe. However, literally everyone i talk to says to absolutely avoid header wrap. It supposedly holds moisture in and it will destroy the pipe. Theres a place near me that will do ceramic coating for a super reasonable rate. I may look into that as I am rebuilding my 7age currently, and will use the same exact header chard has.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have a stainless header that I was going to adapt (cut up and reroute the lower half, bought it off ebay, it is for the Corolla GTS), so not so sure trapped moisture will be a problem. seems to me that with the exhaust heat, any moisture that would get inside the warp should just evaporate out. Perhaps putting some wraps of heavy wire before you put on the wrap may help provide an escape route for any trapped moisture.

the heat shields seem the best alternative, though that will be more work to accomplish than just wrapping the header.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

The problem with wrap on mild steel headers is that they hold the heat in the pipes instead of releasing it to the engine bay. While this is good for the engine bay, the corrosion rate of steel increases sharply with temperature, and the wrap let's in oxygen to allow that to happen. Stainless will do that too, but at much lower rates. Ceramic coatings also hold in the heat, but they keep air away from the steel, which is why headers will last a lot longer with ceramic coating.
Chard
My tercel:: 84' tercel sr5 4wd supercharged, 87' Tercel4wd 4age RTR Rallycross

Post by Chard »

I'm not too worried about rust on the stainless. And the secondary runner is easy and cheap to make so I'll probably rap that too, keeping heat in the pipes for performance of the exhaust system.

On another note. Here are some tow hooks I made that go into the bumper mount locations.
20191114_180839.jpg
20191112_170631.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chard
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Looking good, I assume you are going to run w/o a rear bumper?
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Chard

Post by Chard »

NWMO wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 am Looking good, I assume you are going to run w/o a rear bumper?
Yea, I'll be running without them. Pulling weight from the easiest places first. The rear doesn't look bad without it, but I need to replace the front bumper with something lighter. As far as weight savings I eventually want to finish removing sound deadening material (dry ice method), make a composite hood, strip the doors, and replace all the glass I can with Poly-carbonate.
-Chard
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Chard wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 am ..I need to replace the front bumper with something lighter. A... make a composite hood, ..

I had been thinking of making molds for fiberglass front fenders and the hood, both for weight savings and because I can make both for more clearance, the hood to clear the 4age intake manifold, and the fenders to allow a bit more flair to accommodate larger wheels and tires. And because there are many on this form who have to fight rusting fenders. might be able to sell a few pairs, if I can make them cheap enough for those on this forum. :lol:

I also thought about making a fiberglass front bumper, most to save weight, but also to make it more trim and attractive, more like the Euro/JMD style. Mattel sent me a link to an ad on Alibaba (chinese ebay-like site) for a "performance" fiber glass front end/bumper replacement. not a bad price, but shipping would have been high, and as I recall, it was more for the sedan, so it would mounted higher than the 4wd bumper. still, might save a lot of work building a new bumper replacement, where I just had to alter the mounts.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 pm
Chard wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 am ..I need to replace the front bumper with something lighter. A... make a composite hood, ..

I had been thinking of making molds for fiberglass front fenders and the hood, both for weight savings and because I can make both for more clearance, the hood to clear the 4age intake manifold, and the fenders to allow a bit more flair to accommodate larger wheels and tires. And because there are many on this form who have to fight rusting fenders. might be able to sell a few pairs, if I can make them cheap enough for those on this forum. :lol:

I also thought about making a fiberglass front bumper, most to save weight, but also to make it more trim and attractive, more like the Euro/JMD style. Mattel sent me a link to an ad on Alibaba (chinese ebay-like site) for a "performance" fiber glass front end/bumper replacement. not a bad price, but shipping would have been high, and as I recall, it was more for the sedan, so it would mounted higher than the 4wd bumper. still, might save a lot of work building a new bumper replacement, where I just had to alter the mounts.
Could you not cling wrap a stock fender and use that as a mold? I've been thinking of doing the same, I have a spare fender thats in pretty good shape I was thinking of using. Since its a spare if the process goes catastrophically wrong, I wouldn't be too choked.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 am Could you not cling wrap a stock fender and use that as a mold? I've been thinking of doing the same, I have a spare fender thats in pretty good shape I was thinking of using. Since its a spare if the process goes catastrophically wrong, I wouldn't be too choked.
yes, that is one way to do it. you will have to go over it and polish it smooth, check for any small dents, etc. you would want to prop it up in a wood frame so it holds its shape. The mold has to make strudy as well, lots of stiffeners, etc..

even than, there is a lot of trimming and sanding on the final product.

something that saves the steps of making a mold for the bumper for example, is to hot glue foam sheet or blocks right on the car where you want the new bumper. Carve and sand it to the desired shape, than put fiberglass over it. remove it from the car, trim and add a proper mount on the back, leave the foam core in place, and use it as you made it.

You can do that method to make fender flare: glue on foam sheets to the outside of the fender, carve to desired shape, than glass over it. when cured you remove the foam/glass flair, cut out the old fender lip, and than bond, or screw on, the flair to the remaining fender you just made. that would also avoid you having to make matching fender mounting holes, since you are just attaching a new flair to the old fender.
Chard

Post by Chard »

I just got done with 25 miles of break-in driving without any issues. I'm not getting on it much until its broken in, but it pulls hard after 4500! These heat shields work great. The back sides of them were only warm to the touch after the drive. I think the distributer and master cylinder are safe even without the heat rap.
20191116_161041.jpg
20191116_161031.jpg
Had to cut some more clearance in the hood. The exhaust manifold hit the hood but didnt stop it from closing. It used to have the fwd intake manifold so i had to cut more room for the throttle linkage with the rwd intake. I cant wait to make a new lightweght hood...
20191116_170212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chard
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

seems if you can drop the engine about an inch or so the hood would not need any holes in it. lowering front diff when you lower the engine will affect the clearance, but OTOH, it would also lower the angle on the CV joints, which should improve the CV joint life considerably. Make up for some of the lost center clearance with taller tires.

I think the heat shields look like all you should need from the pictures. what about the starter motor? and I can not see where the steering shaft comes though under that exh manifold, do you have a shield for the u-joint on the steering shaft? it may need one.

looks like a good set up.

I plan on using the RWD intake manifold on my set up. Some have used the transvers intake set up from the MR2, but that puts the intake right up against the fire wall. some tricky plumbing made it work, but looks rather a neusance, and not optimum for performance.
Chard

Post by Chard »

This is how I ended up having to route the exhaust
The first pipe had clearance issues with the cv shaft. Should be plenty far from the starter.
20191117_142317.jpg
I also built a light weight rear hatch and front bumper from twin wall polycarbonate. A cheap temporary solution. It's pretty tough stuff, so I should be able to plow some cones without worry.
20191120_215904.jpg
20191116_131332.jpg
-Chard
Chard

Post by Chard »

The car did great at the race last weekend and made it back on the trailer safe! I got first in my class and 9th overall amongst 38 drivers. A few subarus and a mini didnt survive the day, but all three of our vintage toyotas on team RTR made it to the end without breaking. The increase in power from the cams after about 4500 rpm is very noticeable. I ordered a bunch of poly bushings and hope to get the suspensioned tightened up before the next race in a couple weeks.
20191124_144819.jpg
20191127_154039.jpg
-Chard
Chard

Post by Chard »

facebook/instagram @rtrracingks for footage and updates about our team of old toyotas. The other two guys were racing at the top of there classes as well but made some costly errors on the course which added some penalty time and bumped them down.
-Chard
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Congrats, thanks for the update. I look forward to coming to observe sometime.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain