4AGE Rally Tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 4AGE Rally Tercel

Post by Petros »

that is just great! nice work.

what else is in your class? and what are the rules, allowed mods, etc? what sort of track is it, road coarse or dirt track, or what?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Chard
My tercel:: 84' tercel sr5 4wd supercharged, 87' Tercel4wd 4age RTR Rallycross

Post by Chard »

Petros wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:49 pm that is just great! nice work.

what else is in your class? and what are the rules, allowed mods, etc? what sort of track is it, road coarse or dirt track, or what?
Thanks!
I'm in 'modified all wheel drive' which allows pretty much anything. The engine swap put me into modified before i did anything else. The course setup is similar to scca autocross but instead of cones in a parking lot, they are in a field. The course is different each event and Its cumulative time for the day. This last event we had 5 laps in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. Usually we get more but there was lot of drivers and lots of breakdowns and tire de-beads that slowed stuff down. I pretty much stay in first gear, a little into second on the "straits". You can look at the list, any of the cars that say MA are in my class.
-Chard
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that means you beat out a lot of much newer, modified Subarus? all with bigger engines too. Nice going!

I bet you had a lot of people scratching their heads at your Tercel4wd! most of the other drivers are likely younger than the Tercel too.

what would you compete against if you still had the stock engine? are some limited mods allowed in the class with a stock engine? it has only 62 hp stock, it would not be competitive without a few tweeks, if allowed.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

There are only three or so classes in SCCA Rallycross, so you get pitted against just about anything. As I recall the classes are more based around the level of modification than vehicle capability.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

back when I worked for several racers in the 1980'd (including one professional team), the SCCA has some rather baffling and confusing rules for mods in the various classes. just one mod over, like say a header, put you into the same category as fully built race cars that were not even street legal. it was I think one of the reasons it fell by the way side; it either had to be stock, or "modified" with a limited number of mods allowed, like tires, or a full race car.

the Miata club has one of the best handicap systems I have seen, they allow any and all mods to run together, they have a long list of mods with points for each one. You pick and choose which mods you want, add up the points, and your score puts you into one of 4 or 5 classes. This allowed lightly modified cars that were street legal, to compete with other cars with different, but the same level of mods done, that may not be street legal. it is a brilliant system, what ever you brought you can run in one of the classes.
Chard

Post by Chard »

Petros wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:01 pm that means you beat out a lot of much newer, modified Subarus? all with bigger engines too. Nice going!

I bet you had a lot of people scratching their heads at your Tercel4wd! most of the other drivers are likely younger than the Tercel too.

what would you compete against if you still had the stock engine? are some limited mods allowed in the class with a stock engine? it has only 62 hp stock, it would not be competitive without a few tweeks, if allowed.
Thanks. I had a good day and didn't hit any cones (2 second penalty) or missed gates (10 second penalty). On a different day I could easily be middle of the pack. A couple of the other drivers made some mistakes that set them back.

SCCA Rallycross has 9 classes. FWD, RWD, or AWD and then either stock, prepared, or modified in each of those. Stock allows very minimal modifications, a few more with prepared, and almost unlimited with modified. I don't think the T4 would be competive in stock or prepared. They are the most competitive classes. The MA cars in our region aren't all that modified. I think one Subaru just has a slightly different sized motor swapped in but thats it. So sometimes it's a catch all for odd ball cars. Against a good driver I should still lose to most newer stock subarus (especially turbo cars). The differecnt course configurations and conditions sometimes favor different car setups. Lightness is our advantage in the old toyotas. All three of the old toyotas on our team are around 2000lb. So we are 1000lb lighter than lots of the competition.
-Chard
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Post by HomeSkool »

Really great read! Love reading anything I can on the 4age swaps! Great great job!
Chard

Post by Chard »

Getting lighter! About 19lb less for each rear door.
20200125_155206.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chard
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Chard,

Lighter yes, but what keeps the dust out?? 😲😬
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Chard

Post by Chard »

NWMO wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 pm Chard,

Lighter yes, but what keeps the dust out?? 😲😬
I'll be installing polycarbonate to replace the glass.
-Chard
Chard

Post by Chard »

I finished stripping the doors. Removed almost 100lb including the rear glass. So almost 150 if you include the twin wall poly hatch (still need to add a clear piece of lexan to that). I cut more twin wall for the rear windows and I'll use 1/8" lexan for the fronts with slider vents. It looks like a green house but that stuff is feather light and really strong. Also much cheaper than polycarbonate sheets. I cant wait to weigh this thing. If the T4s truely do start at around 2260lb I might be getting close to 1900lb. (Bumpers, interior, ac system, doors/windows, aluminum racing seat).
20200208_234004.jpg
20200211_213524.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chard
Chard

Post by Chard »

Polyurethane bushings are all delivered, as well as carrier bearing for drive shaft. So those will go in next. Hopefully even light and stiffer for next racing season. Still need to dry ice the sound deadening out, so i can stitch weld the chassis. Hoping to make a carbon hood this summer. After that I'll experiment with front struts. Ive got a full set from an mr2 to work with. Also need a break upgrade at some point. I've got the MR2 parts to do it.
-Chard
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there is a better strut you can use with minimal modification, the corolla GTS (RWD) or the Corolla All-trac front struts are larger diameter, with a similar height and wheel travel, are larger dia (same strut for both cars, they might come in other cars too, but not sure which). you will have to swap out the upper strut mount (you can use in fact the MR2 front upper strut mounts), and using the corral springs may give you some height since the corolla is heavier. It should all bolt up. the only other minor issue is the lower strut mount bolts are 10mm shank dia on the Tercel, and 12mm on the larger strut. I think the tercel steering knuckle can be drilled over size, or you can use these hat shaped washers that allow you to use the smaller through bolt dia. I have a pair of these struts in my garage I got from a wrecking yard by have not mounted them yet. forum member Synth Design has installed them and found he liked the ride height.

how good does dry ice work on the sound deadening insulation? seems a heat gun and putty knife might be the way to go, but I have not tried to remove any.
Chard

Post by Chard »

Petros wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:14 pm there is a better strut you can use with minimal modification, the corolla GTS (RWD) or the Corolla All-trac front struts are larger diameter, with a similar height and wheel travel, are larger dia (same strut for both cars, they might come in other cars too, but not sure which). you will have to swap out the upper strut mount (you can use in fact the MR2 front upper strut mounts), and using the corral springs may give you some height since the corolla is heavier. It should all bolt up. the only other minor issue is the lower strut mount bolts are 10mm shank dia on the Tercel, and 12mm on the larger strut. I think the tercel steering knuckle can be drilled over size, or you can use these hat shaped washers that allow you to use the smaller through bolt dia. I have a pair of these struts in my garage I got from a wrecking yard by have not mounted them yet. forum member Synth Design has installed them and found he liked the ride height.

how good does dry ice work on the sound deadening insulation? seems a heat gun and putty knife might be the way to go, but I have not tried to remove any.
Petros, Thanks for the info on the struts.

Ive only seen videos of the dry ice method and it seems to work great. You smash it up and mix in isopropyl alchohol to make a snowy slurry. Pack it on in one area at a time and it pops it off. Or makes it easy to chip off. I've heard the heat gun and putty knife method is a sticky messy nightmare.
-Chard
YakSr5
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 lifted

Post by YakSr5 »

My car weighed in at 2300 lbs