4AGE Rally Tercel

Post about yourself, your car, or your projects in here, share pictures of your car, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 4AGE Rally Tercel

Post by Petros » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:49 pm

that is just great! nice work.

what else is in your class? and what are the rules, allowed mods, etc? what sort of track is it, road coarse or dirt track, or what?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)

Chard
My tercel:: 84' tercel sr5 4wd supercharged, 87' Tercel4wd 4age RTR Rallycross

Post by Chard » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm

Petros wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:49 pm
that is just great! nice work.

what else is in your class? and what are the rules, allowed mods, etc? what sort of track is it, road coarse or dirt track, or what?
Thanks!
I'm in 'modified all wheel drive' which allows pretty much anything. The engine swap put me into modified before i did anything else. The course setup is similar to scca autocross but instead of cones in a parking lot, they are in a field. The course is different each event and Its cumulative time for the day. This last event we had 5 laps in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. Usually we get more but there was lot of drivers and lots of breakdowns and tire de-beads that slowed stuff down. I pretty much stay in first gear, a little into second on the "straits". You can look at the list, any of the cars that say MA are in my class.
-Chard

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:01 pm

that means you beat out a lot of much newer, modified Subarus? all with bigger engines too. Nice going!

I bet you had a lot of people scratching their heads at your Tercel4wd! most of the other drivers are likely younger than the Tercel too.

what would you compete against if you still had the stock engine? are some limited mods allowed in the class with a stock engine? it has only 62 hp stock, it would not be competitive without a few tweeks, if allowed.

The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:43 am

There are only three or so classes in SCCA Rallycross, so you get pitted against just about anything. As I recall the classes are more based around the level of modification than vehicle capability.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987.5 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:57 pm

back when I worked for several racers in the 1980'd (including one professional team), the SCCA has some rather baffling and confusing rules for mods in the various classes. just one mod over, like say a header, put you into the same category as fully built race cars that were not even street legal. it was I think one of the reasons it fell by the way side; it either had to be stock, or "modified" with a limited number of mods allowed, like tires, or a full race car.

the Miata club has one of the best handicap systems I have seen, they allow any and all mods to run together, they have a long list of mods with points for each one. You pick and choose which mods you want, add up the points, and your score puts you into one of 4 or 5 classes. This allowed lightly modified cars that were street legal, to compete with other cars with different, but the same level of mods done, that may not be street legal. it is a brilliant system, what ever you brought you can run in one of the classes.

Chard
My tercel:: 84' tercel sr5 4wd supercharged, 87' Tercel4wd 4age RTR Rallycross

Post by Chard » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Petros wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:01 pm
that means you beat out a lot of much newer, modified Subarus? all with bigger engines too. Nice going!

I bet you had a lot of people scratching their heads at your Tercel4wd! most of the other drivers are likely younger than the Tercel too.

what would you compete against if you still had the stock engine? are some limited mods allowed in the class with a stock engine? it has only 62 hp stock, it would not be competitive without a few tweeks, if allowed.
Thanks. I had a good day and didn't hit any cones (2 second penalty) or missed gates (10 second penalty). On a different day I could easily be middle of the pack. A couple of the other drivers made some mistakes that set them back.

SCCA Rallycross has 9 classes. FWD, RWD, or AWD and then either stock, prepared, or modified in each of those. Stock allows very minimal modifications, a few more with prepared, and almost unlimited with modified. I don't think the T4 would be competive in stock or prepared. They are the most competitive classes. The MA cars in our region aren't all that modified. I think one Subaru just has a slightly different sized motor swapped in but thats it. So sometimes it's a catch all for odd ball cars. Against a good driver I should still lose to most newer stock subarus (especially turbo cars). The differecnt course configurations and conditions sometimes favor different car setups. Lightness is our advantage in the old toyotas. All three of the old toyotas on our team are around 2000lb. So we are 1000lb lighter than lots of the competition.
-Chard

HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Post by HomeSkool » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Really great read! Love reading anything I can on the 4age swaps! Great great job!