Supercharged Tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Chard
My tercel:: 84' tercel sr5 4wd supercharged, 87' Tercel4wd 4age RTR Rallycross

Supercharged Tercel

Post by Chard »

Hi everyone! I have been lurking the forum for a while but figured it was time to join the conversation and show off my fleet. This is one of my tercels. 1985 SR5. It has an amr500 with a suck-through setup with a weber 32/36. I tried to keep all accessories but eventually pulled the AC to add an oil cooler in that area. It wasnt working and pretty far down my list of projects. In retrospect I would have done things differently if i knew i were going to lose the AC anyway. But maybe I can make it all work together someday. I had to fabricate a bracket, tensioner, manifolds, use a UTV radiator, and relocate the PS reservoir.

It's making about 5psi max, and has lots more torque down low. Feels like a totally different car. And boy does it whine! The clutch was fading before the build and now it slips under high load boost pulling on the highway. I havent got it fully tuned or tidied up yet, its running rich. Been to busy with the 4age rally tercel. I've got a boost gauge and wideband. Gas mileage has surely gone down, but I'll check once it is tuned properly.

It has 14" steel wheels, snow tires, and cheap rubber spring boosters, and I think thats it. I hit a deer right after I got it, hense the blue hood. I'll post more about the build later. Probably when I pull the motor to replace the clutch. I'm thinking the Spec Stage 2. Hopefully its strong enough!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chard
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Supercharged Tercel

Post by Petros »

interesting set up, any idea how much power it might be producing?

I am not a fan of superchargers, nor turbo chargers either, for a daily driver. It greatly complicates the engine, usually increases maintenance, breakage, and reduces economy. I would rather get a higher performance naturally aspirated engine installed (but that usually adds more weight to the car).

that being said, they do have their place. what is it like to drive, does the engine behave differently?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Chard

Post by Chard »

Petros wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 pm interesting set up, any idea how much power it might be producing?

I am not a fan of superchargers, nor turbo chargers either, for a daily driver. It greatly complicates the engine, usually increases maintenance, breakage, and reduces economy. I would rather get a higher performance naturally aspirated engine installed (but that usually adds more weight to the car).

that being said, they do have their place. what is it like to drive, does the engine behave differently?
I'd say it's making about 50% more power. I don't know though, it's has been a while since I drove a stock 3ac now. I think some upgraded exhaust will help a lot.
It can get out of it's own way now, and feels much more comfortable on the road when going up hills and getting up to speed. And it has the wine of a roots supercharger! An engine swap would definitely be a more simple and reliable way to more power. If this was my daily I wouldn't have done it. It's more of a back roads cruiser, camper, and hobby car. I like to dive into things that I don't understand. I know a lot more about forced induction now. If this were sold in a kit, it would be a pretty easy way to power increase, as it's all bolt on after the fab work is done. Longevity, is yet to be determined, but 5psi isn't too crazy, I don't think.
-Chard
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Chard,

What part of Kansas are in?? I'm in Maryville, MO and will be going south on October 18th-19th for some hopeful fun in Mark Twain National Forest on the service roads (nothing extreme). I've got about 11,000 miles on my 4ac rebuild and it's better. Went with a regrind cam and it cruises down the highway much nicer, still doesn't like long hills. I didn't get a ticket, but did get pulled over for doing 74 mph in a 65 about a month ago. I was not paying close enough attention which wasn't a problem before the rebuild, because the only away over 70 was foot to the floor :).

Wow, nice work on the turbo set-up and P/S relocate, etc. My "forever" project is just in the dream stage, but will take some fabrication. I'm hoping to find a diesel engine and get it installed while keeping the 4wd. Ideally it would have better grunt and get better mpg.

Chris

PS - I see your location from one of your earlier posts, I need to get down and see your projects some time (less than 3 hrs away)! That's neighbors for us Tercel owners not in the upper NW.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Wow, this is a really cool project! I'd love to see some dyno numbers!
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Chard

Post by Chard »

This thing
20191215_113835.jpg
is a monster in the snow!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chard
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

I disagree with both of you on getting a more powerful naturally aspirated engine rather than just upgrading the existing engine! Besides a more powerful stock engine would be a lot more fun to drive because you would have the original thing and it would have a lot of whine to it
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

terceldude wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:16 pm I disagree with both of you on getting a more powerful naturally aspirated engine rather than just upgrading the existing engine! Besides a more powerful stock engine would be a lot more fun to drive because you would have the original thing and it would have a lot of whine to it
Besides, there's a company called Flatlander Racing and they will do killer nitrous porting for your engine and massive bore and stroke increases etc. You can Even upgrade the crankshaft and the camshaft to have more lift and take longer to push the pistons up and down thus, producing more power in the realm of torque
K-Business
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey terceldude,

I believe Chard was winning most of his SCCA races with this unit until about one year ago when he rolled it multiple times.

With enough $$ anything is possible, but economy of the build almost always comes into play. Keegan is running a custom turbo on his right now, but spends some time replacing exhaust manifold gaskets, as they keep burning up and failing.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:46 pm Hey terceldude,

I believe Chard was winning most of his SCCA races with this unit until about one year ago when he rolled it multiple times.

With enough $$ anything is possible, but economy of the build almost always comes into play. Keegan is running a custom turbo on his right now, but spends some time replacing exhaust manifold gaskets, as they keep burning up and failing.

Chris
hey now, i've only replaced one due to all of the exhaust bolts coming loose :P
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Sorry about that Keegan, I was thinking you had burned through more than one. You’ve been busy with some fun projects!

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

NWMO wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:46 pm Hey terceldude,

Chris
Yeah, you could be right, maybe 😉
K-Business
Cadendoo22
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota tercel sr5 4wd

Post by Cadendoo22 »

Chard wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:52 pm This thing20191215_113835.jpg is a monster in the snow!
I know this thread is dead but I really want to know more about this build. What ended up happening to it? I really want to do a similar setup and would love more information
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Cadendoo22 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 pm
Chard wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:52 pm This thing20191215_113835.jpg is a monster in the snow!
I know this thread is dead but I really want to know more about this build. What ended up happening to it? I really want to do a similar setup and would love more information
i believe he still has it.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I misspoke earlier, it was his rally car that got rolled. I got to ride in the unit pictured here and it moved right along. He likely still has the car, but can’t say for sure.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain