Introduction

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
jmoore
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5 1983 Tercel 4wd SR5

Introduction

Post by jmoore »

IMG_1125.JPG
Hello guys, i havent posted an introduction yet, but i have already recieved some help from the guys here. I was able to score an 85 sr5(blue) last november from a local guy in my area who gave me a bunch of parts along with the car, he filled my truck and the back of the tercel :D . Most recently i scored an 83 from another member who was relatively close by and didnt have the time or motivation to repair. I replaced the clutch this last weekend and took it for a spin, its missing the muffler and since i live in commifornia ill have to reinstall it in order to smog. Luckily there is a new cat on it so it should go smoothly.
The trans in the 85 is from an 83 so i dont have the rear driveline installed, and the trans makes a loud whining noise in 4th and 5th gears at highway speeds, doesnt sound like its long for this world, but i still keep it as my DD untill it does fail, it may have something to do with pulling my inflatable boat, though it only weighs 500lbs at the most.
The 83(silver two tone) has a slight issue with over heating, but i have only driven it about 10 miles since i got the clutch back in so i havent dove too deeply into the issue causing it, potentially a dirty contact in the guage or bad thermostat? however it doesnt feel like the radiator hose has too much pressure and the heater does not blow hot air whatsoever. I will update with further advances as i read some past threads. I enjoy these little cars and appreciate the help everyone offers.

I am on the central coast, Morro Bay specifically if there are any other members in the area. Between my girlfriends 89 mazda b2200 and the tercels i am constantly learning about carburated vehicles. thanks for the community.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jmoore on Thu May 30, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Introduction

Post by NWMO »

Welcome jmoore,

Based on past discussions, I would get to the bottom of the possible overheating ASAP. The 3A head is not particularly durable and overheating can cause pre-mature failure of the head gasket or head itself.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Have you replaced the thermostat yet?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
jmoore

Post by jmoore »

I have a thermostat(Murray-Israeli made) and have not replaced it yet. I was planning on doing that tomorrow afternoon when i get home. I have no reason to believe the head gasket has been compromised since the oil looks good and i dont recall seeing any steam coming from the exhaust. Also, the heater core quite possibly failed since when it is on the hotter side of the temp guage it still blows luke warm. I manually moved the valve from the engine compartment to make sure the linkage is functioning properly, but it still never got warm. This may be unrelated or is there perhaps some blockage within the cooling system? thanks for the responses fellas.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome!

best replace the thermostat ASAP, and possibly the radiator cap (both are inexpensive). If the radiator is questionable you should flush that as well.

The heater cores tend to get deposit build up that prevent them from transferring heat. I boiled mine out with a vinegar soak (several hours of straight vinegar after I removed the heater hoses and flushed out the coolant), than flush it out with pressure (easy to do in the car, removing it is a major operation). I have also used hydrocloric acid on severely scaled up heater cores. Risky, but it either works to remove heavy scale, or it eats through the core and you have to pull apart the dash to replace it.

you might try an AFT flush on your manual trans, it should clean out any sludge build up and may quite down your gear noise:

install 4 liters of 50/50 ATF and cheap gear oil mix in the trans/diff/transfer case, drive it several days lightly, but at highway speeds so it warms up. than with it warm you drain all of the mix, and than install 4 liters of quality gear oil (4.1 quarts). I would not use all synthetic gear oil, it is too slippery for this trans (and expensive), the trans was designed for regular gear lube (90 wt). you can install a 50/50 mix of synthetic gear lube and conventional gear oil, but do not put more than 50 percent synthetic or it will leak out the seals and make your syncros non functional. it may make worn bearings last longer, and quiet the noise.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Petros wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 pm...the trans was designed for regular gear lube (90 wt).
OP, check your operator's manual, I don't think the factory fill gear lube is straight 90 weight, as I recall it was something goofy like 70W-140, not the common 80W-90 that most auto parts chains carry.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
jmoore

Post by jmoore »

So I am scratching my head, long story short I replaced the t-stat with a duralast gold, Replaced the water pump, added a dual core radiator from my spare, swapped out temp sending units and did a vinegar flush through the system. When it’s hot the surface temp of the engine reads
200-210 between cylinder 1&2
And 245 was the hottest I’ve seen at the t-stat housing.
The gauge will climb to the top of the temp symbol while going through town before the fan kicks on. The picture is where it will ride on the freeway. I’ve been debating taking the t-stat out to see if it would act the same way, I’ve already tried 2 different ones plus the original the car came with. I recently did a timing belt along with a coolant flush in the other terc which runs much cooler, causing me to ask you guys what I’m doing wrong or forgetting about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that is a perfectly good place for the temp to stay. too cool and you will not get any heat out of it and the carb/fuel/emission system may not run properly.

Temperature is a critical issue, and considering you had over heat issues, check your coolant level every day at the radiator when cold, until it is clear you are not losing coolant. if there is air in the system it may take coolant for a few days, but should level off after that. if no change for a week or more, likely your head gasket is okay (btw, just because there is no coolant in the oil does not mean the head gasket is good).

If you are worried about the accuracy of the gauge, go to a an auto parts store and buy an after market temp gauge with the temperature gradient on the face (they do not cost much). than rig it up and just duck tape it to the dash for a week or so, make note of the coolant temp. if it is acceptable you can remove it and than rely on the factory gauge.

Accurate temp gauge is important to protect the fragile head gasket. Best to know for sure than risking having to replace the head gasket.
jmoore

Post by jmoore »

Thanks for the reply, it has gotten into the red once after climbing my paved driveway which is very steep and about 1/4 mile long. So I have done a pressure test of the system and done the diagnostics for checking the gasket besides visually inspecting it. Since it had gotten that hot, it made me think there was an issue since i have not had this problem with my other car of newer year. when going through traffic it will climb up and make me nervous while im trying to get to school/work. I think i am going to try to find a replacement temp sensor for the fan so it will come on at an earlier temp or perhaps rig a switch so i can manually control when it comes on. Anyways, thanks again and its good to know at least the cruising temps are normal.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Did it get into the red before or after the thermostat?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you can always switch on your heater fan, full hot, to cool it quickly. have it on defrost so it does not blow hot air in your face.

long steep hills at low speed are always a problem for many cars. I do not have that problem with my Tercel if everything is in good condition.

the radiator should have double rows of cooling tubes (the core should be about 1.25-1.5" thick at the edge). the 2wd radiator can be swapped it, it has a single row of cooling tubs (it is about 5/8" thick at the edge). it will cool it okay except in high demand conditions, up hill on a hot day. they are cheaper, and they used to be more common, so often these got put in the T4wd when it should get the double row radiator.

Also double check your lower rad hose is not collapsing at high RPMs. it is at the pump inlet end of the system, an older hose gets soft and the suction from the water pump can close it down at high rpm. when you look at it at idle is looks fine, but at high demands it can close down, restricting the coolant flow, with pump suction.