My baby

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Treleytercel
My tercel:: Toyota Tercel 1983

Re: My baby

Post by Treleytercel »

Alright I feel a lot better now thank you!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

have you studied the thread I wrote up in the repair guides section on replacing the head gasket?

that should give you everything you need to do a better than factory job. Make sure you torque all the bolts down carefully in sequence with several passes.

Also, after you get it running, retorque the head when it is warm within 100 to 300 miles of careful driving. than you are good to go for at least 100k more miles.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

When I replaced the head gaskets on my wife's Subaru last November I used the "old head bolt with a slot cut in it" trick to clean the threads as Petros describes. As a follow up to the thread cleaning, but before installing the new gasket, I would coat each bolt in assembly lube and run it in and out of its threads three times each to lube the threads. (Assembly lube won't drip or run off the bolt like engine oil, and is a much more robust lubricant for this application.) Then a dab on the underside of the bolt head, drop on the washer, rotate 720 degrees to spread the lube, then install the bolt.

If you feel the bolts creaking or "stick/slip" as you tighten them, you need to pull it out and clean/lube that bore again. The reason for cleaning and lubricating the threads is to ensure you are getting accurate torque readings during the installation.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Treleytercel

Post by Treleytercel »

It started and no leaks so far and what happened was the pin cams out of the cam that holds the sprocket. I’ll keep you guys updated but i did it my self and there’s no better feeling.
Treleytercel

Post by Treleytercel »

Thanks guys so what happened was the pin came out of the cam shaft that holds the cam shaft sprocket into place but i put it back and did the head gasket and now it runs again I need a water pump and alternator and I’m okay for now ha. Thanks for helping me save $$$
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.