1985 4WD Deluxe

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: 1985 4WD Deluxe

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ Yaut: Vinegar flush of both the radiator and heater core!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10496&hilit=vinegar

@
slimdude85 and travelbyota: I apologize; I'd forgotten about youse guys in the Show-Me State! That makes 5 of us here (at least those on the Board).
There was another in Weldon Spring in St. Chuck County a few years ago who had a cherry '86 which was laid up with some kind of trans woes. We corresponded for a bit, but lost contact; dunno if he still has it. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4456
Ditto with another early member (Fingers) in St. Chuck who did an AT to MT swap - 4 years now for him.
Another in Augusta - RudyCantFail -, but he's not been on in nearly 4 years.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey NWMO, was that Kids Across America Camp or Kanakuk? I deal with both regularly as a parts peddler at the GM dealer in Branson. You ever venture down to Barbosa’s? Had a family reunion in St.Joseph over the summer and got my wife hooked on the Mexican fare there.
Slimdude,

I worked at a Christ based residential care facility for young men with challenges (attitude, drugs, etc.). It is the Lives Under Construction Boys Ranch in Lampe, MO. I have eaten at Barbosa's many times, though not lately. It used to be the go-to for good Mexican fare, but St. Joe has so many restaurants now, we don't make it there often. I prefer the old house rehabbed into a restaurant downtown over their newer location on Frederick.

I would love to get a Missouri group together sometime. I wish I wasn't so busy, the Gambler 500 in Sullivan would be a good central location. I would just lend support at this point, but it would be fun to by a junker (wouldn't have to be a Tercel) and participate as well.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:31 pm @ Yaut: Vinegar flush of both the radiator and heater core!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10496&hilit=vinegar
Straight hose water? Hopefully no cracked head, blown gasket, etc. I did a double vinegar/distilled flush on mine heater core open, distilled flush, then filled it up. Also make sure you massage any bubbles out of the upper hose (helps to jack car up in the front or put it on ramps).
K
79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Yaut wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 pm I drove the T4 about 3 hours to Springfield today. It did good other than it starting to overheat if cruising over 55-60. The cooling system is really dirty from sitting for years so I'm sure cleaning it will help. I already replaced the water pump, thermostat, rad fan, and rad cap because they were all trashed. Previous owner had only used straight water in it.
sounds like it is full of rusty deposits. do a vinegar soak, and flush it out after an hour. may take more than one flush. once the water runs clear, should be okay to fill with coolant, but you might try driving it with water in it for a day or two to verify the rust and sludge is cleared out.

hopefully you (or the previous owner) did not compromise the head gasket. Keep an eye on the coolant level over the next few weeks, if it is using coolant with no obvious source of external leaks, anew head gasket may be in your future. it is big job, but not too bad, parts are cheap, use my head gasket repair guide if necessary. It will allow you to do some modifications to the head and cooling system to improve performance and make it more durable. You may also consider installing new valve stem seals, and exhaust valves while the head is off, if a new head gasket is necessary.

I would normally recommend replacing the thermostat on any car that sat for a long time, but looks like you already have done that.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

Petros

Thanks for the advice. I plan to do some flushing once the weather warms up. It doesn't consume coolant or push gases into the rad while running. I think it's just dirty.

I do plan to do some head work eventually. At a minimum I will replace the valve guide seals. It doesn't consume oil too bad but it does have the characteristic blue smoke when starting. Nothing I'm not used to.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

Hey all,

I picked up another 85' DLX 4WD with an auto at 116k miles. This one is neat because it has dealer installed cruise-control and some Auto Armor coating. I found the paperwork for the cruise-control in the glove box. Car is super solid like my other car and the interior is very good, not even any wear on the driver's seat. Unfortunately, someone had removed the cruise control switch from the column but it is still in the car. Pretty neat.
20190312_180219.jpg
20190312_180332.jpg
20190312_180203.jpg
20190310_172318.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)