Tercel Turned Trailer?

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Tercel Turned Trailer?

Post by NWMO »

Abletobecain,

I think it's an interesting idea and would def get some looks, but the trailer would likely remain heavy enough you wouldn't want to tow it with a Tercel (which would be real cool, if it didn't risk tearing up the tranny). Pulling behind another vehicle (truck, etc.) would be cool as well, just not "as" cool.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Another thought. Tongue weight could be a problem with rear axle position unless it was just barely long enough to stretch out in.

A real crazy thought. How about keeping the front end on it and drag it towbar/camper dinghy style? No tongue weight and lots more storage available under the hood.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Yea, I was looking at the distance to the rear axle and thinking about tongue weight as well. There's just not much behind those rear wheels and it won't take much to put 100lbs on the tongue. I was thinking maybe a "tow buddy" or whatever they're called could help?

What do you mean "just barely long enough to stretch out in?" Like remove the windshield and shorten the box more? I think that would lose the look I have in my head but may be the only way to get the weight down enough.

I was also wondering if the towing capacity is increased at all on the later model years due to the 4.10 gears? Can anyone comment on that? I can't seem to find any information and I only have the 83 manual.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Abletobecain,

No help on the towing capacity, but here is a link to the 85' manual found as a sticky under the "general" tab.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8103

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

splatterdog wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:12 am Another thought. Tongue weight could be a problem with rear axle position unless it was just barely long enough to stretch out in.

A real crazy thought. How about keeping the front end on it and drag it towbar/camper dinghy style? No tongue weight and lots more storage available under the hood.
It would obviously vary by country, state, etc., but I wonder if getting a title/plate might be a challenge some places. If the front end remains, it seems it may just look like somebody towing a car and not be recognized as a "super cool" trailer :D .

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Unless your a basketball star you wouldn't need all the car to sleep in. I'm just over 6 foot and don't quite reach the cup just behind the park brake lever. You could fold the front seat area of the roof down to help block off the front with a as short as possible plan.

With a towbar like used to tow a small vehicle behind a motorhome, unlocked steering on the "dinghy" follows the towing vehicle. The steering gear would have to stay to maintain toe for this wild hare idea. Towed like this once way back pulling my 72 country squire with mom's 76 park avenue. Rented a hitch that basically clamped on to the front bumper of the car getting towed, back when bumpers were bumpers..

I thought my 85 manual said 500lbs max trailer weight.

A full body flat towing rig would likely require car tabs and insurance.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is some concern that the trans gets proper lubrication when flat towing. I know for auto trans when this car is used they rig an electric trans fluid pump to circulate ATF while it is being towed. I think the manual trans is simple splash lube, but I seem to recall the transfer case has an oil pump to get gear lube that far back in the trans.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Wow, that guy thinks he has a treasure on his hands...
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

I like the idea of shaving weight (obviously need to to make this work) but I definitely don't want to modify the box at all...that's most of the appeal to me...keeping it whole. Plus trying to seal it up well after chopping the roof/windshield just seems counterproductive.

As far as towing the full car, then there's just more weight and I'd also lose the "trailer" look.

I'm now starting to think about getting a small and light flatbed trailer and cutting the entire bottom/floor pan area out of the car while keeping the door frames intact and mounting the whole shell to the trailer then sealing it up good. That would shave some weight, I could move the box back to reduce tongue weight and still have the look I'm going for, especially if I can get the shell/box around the edges of the flatbed so you wouldn't really see it.

Still brainstorming at this point.
irowiki wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 am Wow, that guy thinks he has a treasure on his hands...
Right?! 2WD, automatic, blown engine, $600?! No way! I sent him an email and informed him that I got both of my manual, 4WD, Tercels with fewer miles and healthy engines for $700 each and that I would gladly give him a couple hundred before he sends it to the scrap yard. To which he said he just put $350 of new parts in it. To which I said, I feel ya, my offer remains. We'll see what happens. I also found another T2WD in that the guy wants to trade for firewood. I asked him how much cash he'd take but I haven't heard back yet.

Also, thanks for the FSM link Chris...I did download that already but I don't see any glaring differences between that and my physical copy of the 83 manual. Still wondering if the 4.10 gears give any greater towing capacity...I'm pretty sure they do when they're in trucks, so maybe?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I mean if it was in perfect shape like my 87 FWD with 60k miles was, that would be different.

No, it would not give you much more in towing capacity as these cars were not meant to tow much.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

starting from a dead stop with a full load, on a stock engine, the 4.10:1 is noticeably easier to get moving, especially going up hill like at a traffic stop on a slope. with a bit more power however, not a lot of difference. fuel economy is about the same too.

though for rough roads, seems the 4.10:1 final drive would be better suited. I have driven both ratios across the country in different Tercel4wd. the 3.73:1 is a bit less noisy at fwy speeds, but suffers on steep hills at speed, or from a dead stop. for a mostly hwy driving, with my current 4ac set up with the 3.73:1 makes a better road car.

It would seem with the 3age swap, that engine produces more power at higher rpm, so the lower 4.10:1 final drive would be a better choice.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

If your aren't worried about trailer tires outside the body, rundown popup or small hardshell campers can be obtained for little to nothing and stripped for the frame.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Abletobecain wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:18 am
Right?! 2WD, automatic, blown engine, $600?! No way! I sent him an email and informed him that I got both of my manual, 4WD, Tercels with fewer miles and healthy engines for $700 each and that I would gladly give him a couple hundred before he sends it to the scrap yard. To which he said he just put $350 of new parts in it. To which I said, I feel ya, my offer remains. We'll see what happens.
on an old car, there are always some parts you just replaced. ask to see the list of parts, and how much he paid. If that price includes paying a shop to install them, than he paid too much. the car is worth about what a scrap yard might pay him by weight: perhaps $200.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

Yea, I really don't think he'll be selling it anytime soon. Honestly, I'm not even interested in it at this time. The trailer project couldn't feasibly start until late summer anyway so we'll see what he says around then. Besides, the other 2WD fella got in touch with me and only wants $250 or two cords of firewood and that one has a brand new head on it.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out getting the parts car out of the yard here, AND I've got another addition joining the fleet on Saturday...details to come! :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Abletobecain wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am
Also, I'm still trying to figure out getting the parts car out of the yard here, AND I've got another addition joining the fleet on Saturday...details to come! :)
Uh oh, sounds like you are fully obsessed. tread carefully so you can manage your addiction, and not regret it later.