Tucker has a new home

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Tucker has a new home

Post by Mattel »

cheers, yeah a few different opinons on what oil , whatever you choose. Blend, Synth or dino oils. But It wouldn't hurt in the short term to change the oil to any of the above. or do the flush with ATF as Petros has outlined before ( it seems a lot of owners never change trans oil after the warranty is out some of the oil can be 20years old) and then make a more permanent decision down the line (i went with a Redline synthetic GL4 as it doesn't get so cold in Australia). Cheers!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Brodieroni82

Post by Brodieroni82 »

Heres under the hood. Rebuilt 3a, 7yr/70mi warrantee, reman carb, new vac lines, new dist.

234,000 at rebuild, now have 1500 on the fresh motor. The new fuel pump went bad 300 miles ago. Made sure to get a Japanese part as replacement and the car runs way better with it. Just got 28mpg on a 200 day trip to Seattle and back. Was driving 65-70 at 3100rpms the whole time. I’m thinking advance the timing to 10 degrees tdc, new wheel bearings all the way around, carb adjustment and tucker will be dialed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brodieroni82

Post by Brodieroni82 »

You’re in aus! What’re winters like where you are?

I read about the ATF flush; drain, fill up with ATF and drive it hard at freewayspeeds for a short bit?

The redline has worked well?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I had a super notchy gear on my last Tercel felt like no Syncromesh but the body and interior was super clean so I bought it and though I would have to replace the gearbox. But the Redline kept it going for 5 more years.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

winter where I am in the South is about 12C max but there is snow and ice in the mountains. I have a Corolla Alltrac now. I lent it too an online car mag a while ago https://www.caradvice.com.au/655384/201 ... omparison/ I miss that Tercel though.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great article Mattell,

I assume your car would crush the other off-road and for me the simplicity of design/function are part of the mystique.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Brodieroni82

Post by Brodieroni82 »

Installed the pathfinder springs and thunderbird struts today. Man that was simple! Great mod and what a driving difference - really appreciate how tired the rear end was.

Should have done all the rear sway bar bushings at the same time but oh well, I’ll order them up tonight. Has anyone found a longer sway bar mount or am I just reusing stock with new rubber? Seems like the lift has created additional stress on the bar.

Next will be the front end!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Bro,

I’m using the stock bars front and back with similar lift.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

presuming there is no binding of the rear bar at that height, the stiff rear springs actually reduces the stress on the rear anti-sway bar. the stiffer springs reduce body roll, therefore reduce the stress on the rear sway bar.

you might go out to a large level parking lot of skid pad and do some mid size and tight circles, see if your car over steers or under steers. if you get over steer you might remove the rear bar, or go find a lighter one out of another model of RWD Toyota (I think the rear antio sway bar on the old RWD celica has a smaller dia bar).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

I just did this to my camping rig yesterday. I completely removed the sway bar and it rides great.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)