Asa’s Sunshine Wagon - 1984 Tercel SR5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
asa
My tercel:: 84 SR5

Re: Asa’s Sunshine Wagon - 1984 Tercel SR5

Post by asa »

Great info, I appreciate it. Right after I made that last post my OEM order showed up. Wish I hadn’t ordered the retainers, washers, and nuts (mine were fine), but hey I ordered it a week ago before I tore into the car so that’s what I get for believing what I read on the internet. But since I have it, I’ll use the new ones.

Also, I inspected my wheel bearings (by turning them) and they seam tight and smooth so I’m not touching them. Except I might need to separate the hub to press in New longer studs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

If you press the hub off, you pretty much gotta replace the bearings and seals. I wouldn't attempt it without the replacement parts on hand.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not think it necessary to remove the hub to replace a wheel stud. there should be a cut out in one location on the splash shield that will allow to install a new wheel stud, you just rotate the hub around to line up with the cut out, drive out the old stud, and wiggle in the new one. you pull it home after it is installed and the wheel in place, using the lug nuts to pull them all the way home.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

In a pinch, a crescent shaped relief on the side of the stud head via bench grinder can allow a stud to clear the knuckle. Got this idea from a new stud that already came that way.
asa

Post by asa »

Awesome info. I appreciate it. I paused that aspect of the build and glad I did. Currently rebuilding the strut assembly with new springs and shocks.

One question... the rubber washer between the seat and the shock (maybe 2” OD and 0.5” ID?) was completely disentagrated. Abra’s thread said to reuse it which is clearly not an option. Seems like it’s be okay to replace it with a homemade one of same dimensions. Any reason this is a stupid idea? Material likely won’t be exactly the same but probably close.

Thanks,
Asa
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

a home made one would work fine, I have made rubber and even plastic washer or spacers, etc when I needed to.

I think you can also buy a generic but similar size rubber washer from a well equipped auto parts store. I know that many places that sell tires and struts will have an inventory of these kinds of parts so they have them on hand when they replace struts. they also have the generic rubber bumpers that should go on the strut shaft to prevent hard bottoming, as well as the accordion boots to protect the shaft and seal.
asa

Post by asa »

Thanks Petros. Ended up making some.

Pretty productive after work tonight. Got the strut assemblies together with the brand spanking new shocks, springs, seats, mounts, and boots. Used Abra Cadaver’s guide. In his thread he mentioned zip tying the boots to the bump stop. He must not have read the directions because they snap together without any zip ties or creases in the boots as shown below. Everything went together well, this was my first time assembling struts and while I am still not a huge fan of spring compressors, they are becoming more normal haha.

Also got the new control arm bushings pressed in today (10 ton hydraulic at work, large enough the press things, small enough so it doesn’t usually crack metal), the new ball joints on the control arm, and all the new OEM stuff on the stablizer bar. Love putting brand new OEM components into 35 year old cars. Makes me feel nice. Haven’t touched the rear yet. One end at a time, but I have all the parts waiting.

Thanks again for all the tips. Onward...

-Asa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asa

Post by asa »

Can anyone help me identify the eccentric bushings? Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13744
asa

Post by asa »

Completed the rear lift today while waiting on front studs and wheel bearings. Rear was a breeze. Going to try it without rear sway bar since “they” say that actually improves handling. If not I can always add it back. So far none of the 4 shocks were good.

I realize not the best pics since he front is still on stands...
asa

Post by asa »

Got the work completed yesterday morning. Love the amount of lift, looks like it should have from factory. Comprehensive list of work: (all brand new unless specified)

Front:
- Springs
- Shocks
- Strut mounts
- Ball joints
- Control arm bushings
- Sway bar end bushings/collar/hardware
- Sway bar mount bushings
- Reman OEM axles
- Wheel bearings
- Axle seals
- Longer wheel studs

Rear:
- Springs
- Shocks

Happy with the result. Let me know if you want to buy it.

-Asa
asa

Post by asa »

I love snow tires.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

splatterdog wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am
Mattel wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReiOmtL45hU

If you go to part 2/2 of this video and you will see where they try to pit the Subaru against the Tercel.
I will probably never get over the 100 to 1 ratio of subes vs tercels I experienced in my bay during the late 80's. Guessing on the subes but half that ratio is actually 1 tercel, ever. Yes they both have the same cool factor, but I think the tercel was built better. Solid rear axle on the T4 makes it more truck like, scoring more points for me. Front calipers on subes had the parking brake integrated(like weird Saab's) so no skid steering and less reliability. Y-pipe converters that rusted out or melted down inside early on, attached by fragile aluminum head threads(seen one with lag bolts). Everyone in the shop would try to dodge them.

Can't say I would never own one though!
That 100:1 ratio is because the T4WD comprised less than 1/5th of Subaru's model lineup in the 80's. If the Tercel had been produced as a trucklet, a hatchback, a coupe, a sedan AND a wagon (in both 2WD & 4WD drivetrains, WITH a turbocharged engine option) then maybe you'd have worked on more Tercels over the years. :wink:

Also, why are there more vintage Subarus still on the road versus Tercels and a MUCH more active aftermarket/enthusiast community for those cars? :D
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

The Professor wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:58 am Also, why are there more vintage Subarus still on the road versus Tercels and a MUCH more active aftermarket/enthusiast community for those cars? :D
This is a complex issue, but basically you can blame Toyota. They have a much larger line up for sale, and were concentrating on the more profitable 4x4 truck and larger sedan (family cars) market. the Tercel was always an entry level car, it was never promoted as a performance car, and often I feel it was neglected by the policy makers at toyota. First model change in the Tercel they eliminated the 4x4 wagon from the line up (partly that was due to meet federal regs for fleet ave fuel economy), but they had no lightweight 4wd/awd trans for their smallest car model, the investment to developeone would have been very larage. One experienced sales rep from Toyota told me, after I lamented the shortage of small 4wd cars available, the larger they make the cars (and trucks) the more they would sell in the US market.

back in the 1980's Subaru had only a few models, all were small. So that was their only target market. The early Subarus were not very durable nor reliable as compared with a typical Toyota product. The Tercel could have been a much better product had they spent the effort to make it so. But Toyota actually abandoned the small 4wd/AWD car market, as did most other manufacturers, to Subaru that had a well established market nitch.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Your wagon looks great and the blue is quite rare to see without fading and peeling.

If you paint your faded door trims with black paint it really lifts the car. Tom uses a small roller. I mask mine off and use a satin black rattlecan.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain