Asa’s Sunshine Wagon - 1984 Tercel SR5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Asa’s Sunshine Wagon - 1984 Tercel SR5

Post by splatterdog »

The Professor wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:58 am
splatterdog wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am
Mattel wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReiOmtL45hU

If you go to part 2/2 of this video and you will see where they try to pit the Subaru against the Tercel.
I will probably never get over the 100 to 1 ratio of subes vs tercels I experienced in my bay during the late 80's. Guessing on the subes but half that ratio is actually 1 tercel, ever. Yes they both have the same cool factor, but I think the tercel was built better. Solid rear axle on the T4 makes it more truck like, scoring more points for me. Front calipers on subes had the parking brake integrated(like weird Saab's) so no skid steering and less reliability. Y-pipe converters that rusted out or melted down inside early on, attached by fragile aluminum head threads(seen one with lag bolts). Everyone in the shop would try to dodge them.

Can't say I would never own one though!
That 100:1 ratio is because the T4WD comprised less than 1/5th of Subaru's model lineup in the 80's. If the Tercel had been produced as a trucklet, a hatchback, a coupe, a sedan AND a wagon (in both 2WD & 4WD drivetrains, WITH a turbocharged engine option) then maybe you'd have worked on more Tercels over the years. :wink:

Also, why are there more vintage Subarus still on the road versus Tercels and a MUCH more active aftermarket/enthusiast community for those cars? :D
So, since I see about 50/50 left on the road(not counting my 2.5 runners) and using your math, it took over 5 times as many 80's Subes to make it to todays 50/50? Only need about one finger to count either one per year. Body rot courtesy of MnDot..

The list of things I fixed on the subes was long. The one T4 got a basic brake job. It was snowing heavy that day, so here I am now!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

asa wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:28 pm I love snow tires.
Makes for an easy Terrari conversion!
asa
My tercel:: 84 SR5

Post by asa »

Mattel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:36 pm Your wagon looks great and the blue is quite rare to see without fading and peeling.

If you paint your faded door trims with black paint it really lifts the car. Tom uses a small roller. I mask mine off and use a satin black rattlecan.
That’s on the list, and thanks for the info Arch.

To the guys comparing Toyota’s to Subaru’s, who gives a shit, they’re all great (see also: shitty) cars.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

splatterdog wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 am
splatterdog wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am

I will probably never get over the 100 to 1 ratio of subes vs tercels I experienced in my bay during the late 80's. Guessing on the subes but half that ratio is actually 1 tercel, ever. Yes they both have the same cool factor, but I think the tercel was built better. Solid rear axle on the T4 makes it more truck like, scoring more points for me. Front calipers on subes had the parking brake integrated(like weird Saab's) so no skid steering and less reliability. Y-pipe converters that rusted out or melted down inside early on, attached by fragile aluminum head threads(seen one with lag bolts). Everyone in the shop would try to dodge them.

Can't say I would never own one though!
That 100:1 ratio is because the T4WD comprised less than 1/5th of Subaru's model lineup in the 80's. If the Tercel had been produced as a trucklet, a hatchback, a coupe, a sedan AND a wagon (in both 2WD & 4WD drivetrains, WITH a turbocharged engine option) then maybe you'd have worked on more Tercels over the years. :wink:

Also, why are there more vintage Subarus still on the road versus Tercels and a MUCH more active aftermarket/enthusiast community for those cars? :D
So, since I see about 50/50 left on the road(not counting my 2.5 runners) and using your math, it took over 5 times as many 80's Subes to make it to todays 50/50? Only need about one finger to count either one per year. Body rot courtesy of MnDot..

The list of things I fixed on the subes was long. The one T4 got a basic brake job. It was snowing heavy that day, so here I am now!
At least where I live, that 100:1 ratio is still a fact. The Tercel simply did not sell in large numbers, plain and simple, too much competition in their own lineup from the Alltrac Camry, 4runner, hilux, etc. Subaru still outsold them in PNW by orders of magnitude. 80s Subarus were better off-road, they're more customizable, there are simple engine/transmission/brake upgrades available today and at least around here, they're are also more common (less so in the last 10 or so years). Seeing a Tercel on the roads around here is like seeing a unicorn in the flesh, but I bet driving around my neighborhood I could find at least one Loyale or GL.

Heck, just bouncing between here and www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum, this Tercel forum has about 3-5 new posts per day. The Subaru forum has at least double that in the "old school" section alone (not all maintenance related :lol:).
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

The Professor wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 am
splatterdog wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 am

At least where I live, that 100:1 ratio is still a fact. The Tercel simply did not sell in large numbers, plain and simple, too much competition in their own lineup from the Alltrac Camry, 4runner, hilux, etc. Subaru still outsold them in PNW by orders of magnitude. 80s Subarus were better off-road, they're more customizable, there are simple engine/transmission/brake upgrades available today and at least around here, they're are also more common (less so in the last 10 or so years). Seeing a Tercel on the roads around here is like seeing a unicorn in the flesh, but I bet driving around my neighborhood I could find at least one Loyale or GL.

Heck, just bouncing between here and www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum, this Tercel forum has about 3-5 new posts per day. The Subaru forum has at least double that in the "old school" section alone (not all maintenance related :lol:).
Chill out man before you blow a headgasket. :lol:
asa

Post by asa »

Make your own thread for this dumbass argument. I literally don’t give a shit, and couldn’t care less if you’re reputable members here, take your ego stroking back and forth to somewhere it belongs.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Sorry for the sidetrack. At least this is as heated as it ever gets here. Well, except for Tom and the dude..

That was funny back a couple posts, great(see also shitty) cars. I know how most would classify either old wagon.

No real ego going on here, in my case just knuckles that have been getting busted since these were still new. Your post fell victim to a good ole Ford vs Chevy type discussion. Again, sorry.

Here's a little more lighthearted subaru post-viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3747&hilit=call+it+a+subaru
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hey asa, I didn't feel like there was any arguments going on just an apraisal of different local car sales and scenes. I think we can agree that these days we are all in the same boat of old 4wd wagon owners. It doesn't matter what you drive to be honest. No one is refuting that where you live or on the forums are on that your observations are wrong. Anyway your car is looking great and keep us up to date with your projects on it!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

splatterdog wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm Sorry for the sidetrack. At least this is as heated as it ever gets here. Well, except for Tom and the dude..
:lol: x 1,000 ! :wink:
splatterdog wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm No real ego going on here, in my case just knuckles that have been getting busted since these were still new.
Kinds like the old Packard slogan: "Ask The Man Who Owns One."
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

asa wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm Make your own thread for this dumbass argument. I literally don’t give a shit, and couldn’t care less if you’re reputable members here, take your ego stroking back and forth to somewhere it belongs.
Wow, is this your first day on the internet? :roll:
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
asa

Post by asa »

The Professor wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 am
asa wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm Make your own thread for this dumbass argument. I literally don’t give a shit, and couldn’t care less if you’re reputable members here, take your ego stroking back and forth to somewhere it belongs.
Wow, is this your first day on the internet? :roll:
2nd
YakSr5
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 lifted

Post by YakSr5 »

Sweet car. I wish my paint was as in good shape as yours.

How do you like they way the car handles/drives with the lift?

Anything tough with the install?

Thinking about doing it on the front of mine.
asa

Post by asa »

Yak,

The paint possibly looks better in pictures than it does in real life. There is some sun damage.

The car handles great, it's very tight and responsive. However, this is coming from the point of worn bushings and bad shocks, so anything would be an improvement. I think the bulk of the improvement was simply due to new bushings and parts. I went all new - no used parts and am glad I did. It feels good putting new parts on a car like this and knowing they will keep it going much longer. I did remove the rear sway bar. I don't notice a difference. Maybe I'll add it back and see what changes.

As for tough aspects... Not associated with the lift, but I got some aftermarket axles stuck in the transaxle for a day. Had to borrow a slide hammer with an adapter to get them out. The new front MOOG coils don't fit perfectly in the seats, so you have to make sure they seat in there when removing the spring compressors - it's obvious, just pay attention. The rear took a total of 45 minutes, most notable part was removing the metal sleeve in the new shock bushing because you don't need it. I could not get it to press out so I heated it up until the rubber broke loose from it, then pressed it out. Changing the control arm bushings was a pain. I had to press out the rubber and inner sleeve then cut out the outer sleeve. And pressing them in, there's no great place to press on except the flange which can bend. Getting the front sway bar frame mounts bolted onto the frame was a pain. They just constantly want to cross thread because there's no real way to completely unload the system at that point, at least how I did it. But you'll figure that out, no secret but elbow grease I think. I also changed the wheel studs to accomodate bigger brakes and replaced front wheel bearings since I was already in so deep. This would have been a chore to press in, but I had access to a hydraulic press for the studs and took the bearings/knuckle to NAPA to press in since they have all the right size adapters and such. Worth the $40.

I'm very satisfied. The lift was about the exact amount I wanted and it's clear that I improved the car. I learned a lot in the process which was actually my main goal. I'll never make my money back on this piece of shit car but man is it fun to wrench on and drive. I would recomend the lift.

Feel free to email me directly if you have questions/issues with the lift when you do it. asa.darnell at gmail dot com.

-asa
YakSr5
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 lifted

Post by YakSr5 »

Thats awesome, good to know.

i am collecting parts to redo the bushings on my car. I am looking into the Superpro Polyurethane bushings.

I have had good luck with handling improvements by installing poly bushings on other projects.

I was shocked that there was a polyurethane option for our cars.

I'll upgrade the front springs and shocks at the same time.

Thank you for the comprehensive reply!