I lent my Corolla 4wd to an auto website for road test and you won't believe what happened next!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

I lent my Corolla 4wd to an auto website for road test and you won't believe what happened next!

Post by Mattel »

They did a nice little write up and I got some great photos and a full tank of petrol! yay!

Can anyone spot the glaring error in the intro?

https://www.caradvice.com.au/655384/201 ... qus_thread
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: I lent my Corolla 4wd to an auto website for road test and you won't believe what happened next!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Matt -
I give on the error; is it something Oz-related?
Overall, I think your car came off pretty darn well!
The first thing I noticed from just your photo is the HORRIBLE rear visibility of the C-HR; maybe because I still parallel park and consider rear visibility paramount? The article mentions the poor visibiity of the C-HR - of course, this fault is everywhere nowadays, but seemingly exaggerated in the C-HR.
The only error I noticed was that the article mentions 13" wheels, whereas your car has 14"s, but that is not really wrong.

OT, but I figgered since nearly the rest of the world has gone metric, the wheels (in at least Oz) are still stated in inches! I wonder why?
Tom
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: I lent my Corolla 4wd to an auto website for road test and you won't believe what happened next!

Post by Petros »

Here is the glaring error, or is the author simply illiterate to the meaning of the word?

"..the predecessor to the Tercel, the Corolla SR5 4WD Wagon..."
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

:oops:
OK - next time I will wear my glasses.
Tom
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

Technically, the author was correct in that the Corolla was the predecessor to the Tercel (‘79-‘80 was called the Corolla Tercel). They were also wrong, since the 4wd Tercel actually preceded the 4wd Corolla. It confused me a bit when I first read it.

By the way, nice clickbait title Mattel.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi Slimdude. Interestingly the only Tercels we ever received thee 2nd gen Tercel 4wd wagons and no Autos. Only Manuals.

Tom! Metric is everywhere except Wheel / Tyre size and Surfboards. An old housemate of mine had a Renault Fuego in the late ninetees and that had metric size tyres and wheels! only Michelin made the roughly 14.5" tyres! Working in Architecture we do get a lot of weird standard sizes for doors and sheets because they come from imperial standards to mm.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Those fuel economy #s in the article are way off. It must be an error.

"In its day, the Corolla had a claimed combined fuel reading of 13.3L/100km, and after doing some maths, we got a reading of 8.3L/100km after a freeway run. In the C-HR, Toyota claims 6.5L/100km, just a smidgen lower than what we got, which was 6.9L/100km."

13.3 L/100 km is equal to 17.7 mpg. That doesn't make any sense. Maybe they meant 13.3 km/L? That would be 31.3 mpg, which is about what I averaged with my ae95.

Neat article overall though, very cool Matt!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Hi David, I think they got confused and used the Urban cycle fuel economy reading to get 13.3l/100km which would probably be about right. It was a fun test to be part of and I got to be a reviewer of the new Toyota CH/R which was fun.