New Owner

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Tommyo
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 Wagon

New Owner

Post by Tommyo »

Hello all: I am a new owner of an old 84 SR5 Wagon:) straight body with no rust or dents. There is however 239k on the engine and she just went into my mechanics for diagnosis and smog test- she will run but then will stall and die. I’m guessing carb issues or vacuum issues. She also needs rotors and struts - the plastic dome lights disintegrated to the touch because it’s been in the desert. But again absolutely no rust! :) I’m hoping to get this little turtle back on the road for my fishing / camping car. Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated! Thanks y’all
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: New Owner

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Hunt junkyards for the parts you need. If you are in the desert, most of the trim pieces you need will likely be bitched on other cars from the area too. There is a vacuum line diagram in the service manual pdf on this site, check all the vacuum lines before anything else.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

The shop service pdf download is here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8103
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

typically the vac system gets leaks or people who should know better misroute the lines. All the fixes for your problem is fairly easy, the time consuming part is tracking it down. vac leaks are typical on a car this old. Could also be weak spark from bad plugs, wires or coil. Also, replace the fuel filter, they are inexpesive, and a partially blocked filter will start and run okay, but dies out when you try to accelerate because it gets fuel starved with the restricted fuel flow.

If you can give us more detailed behavior/symptoms we can suggest things for your mechanic to check.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tommyo
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 Wagon

Post by Tommyo »

Thank you all so much for the helpful replies! All trim pieces are on car- body and trim are great! I was told possible vacuum advance diaphragm failure? The more I’m around this little car the more I want to keep her:) transmission is great and when she runs it’s smooth. It will just stall and quit after about an hour of running. I have posted it for sale but not sure what fair price is- I was hoping to get $1,000.00- at least. Everything is on this car just this stalling issue - thanks again for reply. Does anyone know how many photos you can post in gallery? How do you edit photos? Sorry I’m a newbie. Thanks again
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

a stalling issue like that is usually related to the linkage adjustment. there are several adjustments on the carb that have to be set properly, in proper sequence, to set the idle speed and allow it run without stalling out.

the throttle cable, the idle speed adjustment (both fast/cold idle, and regular idle speed), and the throttle opening diaphragm on the front of the carb, with a linkage to a small diaphragm chamber to control idle speed. it slows the end of the throttle setting so the carb butterfly does not slam shut, which would spiking the fuel-air mixture out of range. this little linkage has to be adjusted properly or the engine will regularly stall.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)