Gambler 500 2018 build

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Deisele75
My tercel:: 1986 tercel wagon 6 speed

Gambler 500 2018 build

Post by Deisele75 »

So we did an Abra lift, mostly just to stiffen up the ride. The front is pure stock, we're fixing that this weekend. It's starting to turn into a monster though. It's a 6 speed car which is super awesome considering we put 31X10.50's on it. Runs like a champ, sounds like a raped ape. I've never had one of these until now, it's a really fun car to drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Gambler 500 2018 build

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

that looks awsom. why the box on the hood? stock engine is rather underpowered, might consider a 4ac swap, easy bolt up swap with no custom parts, and you gain about 15 hp, and several more hp with a few simple up grades. that is the engine from the same year corollas, 1600 cc, improved cooling in the head. Add a delta regrind performance cam shaft, resurface head to raise compression a bit, and clean up the ports, and a 2" exhaust, might gain you another 10 hp, and still be a manageable street engine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Wow, 31x10.50's! You might need an extra extra low gear. What are those 5 lug axles/hubs from?

It does make me cringe a little, seeing a clean car get chopped up.

Good luck and kick everyone's ass! This last winter that only recently ended was my "500" moment, as I passed at least that many cars when the snow flew. Some tried to keep up, but EVERYONE was left in white dust..
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo
Deisele75
My tercel:: 1986 tercel wagon 6 speed

Post by Deisele75 »

splatterdog wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:17 am Wow, 31x10.50's! You might need an extra extra low gear. What are those 5 lug axles/hubs from?

It does make me cringe a little, seeing a clean car get chopped up.

Good luck and kick everyone's ass! This last winter that only recently ended was my "500" moment, as I passed at least that many cars when the snow flew. Some tried to keep up, but EVERYONE was left in white dust..
I put 4 lug to 5 lug conversion spacers on it. The tires and rims are off a jeep. THe box on the hood was just gonna be a fake hood scoop, but now I'm thinking about making a snorkel.

It was a pretty clean car, and I didn't realize there was such a following for these things until i found this site, but I needed a unique car to run in the Gambler and the first day I logged on and looked I found this one on craigslist for $400.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Make sure you do a retorque on the adapters after some miles.

Score for $400!
PNWtercel

Post by PNWtercel »

Hey deisele after you completed the lift how much did you gain?

Did you have to trim the rear fender as well?

Do you think with the conversion spacers and fender trimming it would be possible to run those size tires without a lift?