blow back

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
newplaner
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel wagon

blow back

Post by newplaner »

Finally got my 4wd to compliment my fwd. Just a couple problems that have me confused.
It is the 83 4wd model, not the SR5 but pretty good shape. 130,000 miles.
First, turn signals do not work at all. 4 ways work and all bulbs are good. Fuses are fine. Cant be flasher because 4 ways work, Correct?
Second, I have oil blow back in the breather. Could be various things but just wondering if anything is particular to this engine? Stock, 3A.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: blow back

Post by Petros »

congratulations on the purchase of a T4wd. first thing to try is to replace the breather valve in the PCV system, it is on the valve cover in line with hose that goes to the air cleaner assembly.

it is usual with a car with that low of miles, but I have had it happen twice, where pistons or rings go bad and cause a lot of blow by. you might try doing a Seafoam engine soak. sometimes the rings get gummed up from deposits after a car sits around a lot and not driven (with only 130k miles, sounds like it may not have been driven much), and Seafoam is supposed to loose the deposited and allow the rings to work properly. best way is not just in the motor oil, but also pour it into the spark plug holes and let is sit overnight.

Failing that, it needs to new rings, perhaps new over size pistons and over bore the cylinders, if it is pitted or bore is worn out of lolerance. either way it means a full engine tear down. a big job, but fortunately with this car, not too costly in terms of parts.

Try the simple and inexpensively things first, if it does not help, than look at the more drastic and costly repairs.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
newplaner
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel wagon

Post by newplaner »

Thanks Petros. Just replaced the PCV valve today. Will see if that helps. I will try the Seafoam next.
Any insights on my turn signal flasher question?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

check all the bulbs, with one bad bulb it changes the resistance in the system and affects the flasher performance.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

If all bulbs are good, I would check and clean the contacts in the turn signal switch.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
8ton
My tercel:: White 4wd

Post by 8ton »

It could still be the flasher. Many cars have 2 separate flasher for blinkers and hazards.

Many of the A series engines tend to get carbon stuck oil rings. As others have said seafoam is a great start. Atf is also a really good detergent that you can add to the oil or fog into the intake. I like it because it doesn't dilute the oil the way solvents can. Doing a few 1000 mile oil changes helps too.