'84 metallic orange/plaid 80's radness!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
travelbyota

'84 metallic orange/plaid 80's radness!

Post by travelbyota »

Hey ya'll, Kevin here from SW Missouri! I have an '84 metallic orange/plaid Tercel I bought from 'Farmer Jack' in Owensville, MO. Couldn't pass it up for $500 with 113k on it despite the salt rust and mouse smell in the interior.
IMG_20171203_133848749_HDR (Medium).jpg
K
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo
travelbyota

Re: '84 metallic orange/plaid 80's radness!

Post by travelbyota »

I let my '84 sit while I tended to an '88 I bought in a pack with two other Turdcels for parts, which is the first Tercel I have really put some miles on, and it was a blast to drive! I did a bunch of work to the '88 as I daily drove it and finally sold it to a great home in Ohio where it will be garaged and cared for from here on out.

So, I finally get to start in on my '84.
IMG_20180409_142137248_HDR (Medium).jpg
Had to gut everything down low and up under the dash to the heater core in order to get rid of the mouse smell, which was a disgusting job I don't wish to repeat. I have had to do it in the past on older cars that were primarily metal, but its a whole different story with a carpeted/plastic interior.

Did rust repair on the firewall and floor where you set your left, salt-covered foot, and the seam from the rear strut towers down to the floor. Power washed all the interior and the inside of the car, and began re-assembly this week. I'll get some pics of the interior soon. Cheers,

K
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Congrats! He and I had corresponded quite a bit in 2016 about this car. He lives not that far from me, in another suburb of STL. Seemed like a nice and candid fellow.
Where do you live in "the Ozarks?"
Did you perchance follow up on any of the gaggle of T4WDs that someone had for sale back in late 2017 West of Van Buren? He never reported any activity.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Tom and Kevin and all,

I would love to visit one of these events this year. I don't know that the RUSTY FROG would be up to gambling (as it will be my daily driver again after the new engine is installed), but just hanging out and providing a little support/help looks like a blast. The Arkansas group is on year 3 and looks to be pretty well set up (plus they are hooked up with the US Forest Service this year). The Missouri page looks like an enthusiast just getting started. Anybody been to either of these??

Missouri Ozarks Gambler (July 20-22)

Arkansas Ozarks Gambler (September 7-9)

Kevin - I worked at a boys ranch down around Lampe, MO many moons ago, beautiful area.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

Arkansas could be a good time, lots of great roads in the Ozark/St. Francis NF. I don't know much about the Gambler, heard of it, didn't know until now it was an event that had spread East.

I am in Springfield. Yep, I bought all three of Edward's in Fremont. That guy is a character, no doubt! He has since moved to a castle in Oregon.

Anyway, Jack is a super nice guy. The car came with a folder full of all the receipts since their purchase of the car at around 50k miles, when it was a couple years old. He made note of absolutely everything, including a letter to Toyota expressing how pleased he was with his purchase.

Jack became frustrated with the carburetor. He wrote several letters written to the guy that was suppose to do the repairs and a final letter after a year and a half which was an extremely polite, 'I guess this isn't going to work out, I am going to have to come get my Tercel'. I can't imagine waiting so long for something so simple.

The car did not run when I got it, but did after about 5 minutes of tinkering (stuck float, tap to the bowl). It runs OK before warmed up, and pretty good after its warmed, although I do have a Weber kit ready to install if it becomes more trouble than its worth. I haven't spent hardly any time on the mechanics, yet. Other than the carb, the car runs like any 100k mile Toyota.

K
Last edited by travelbyota on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

Couple pics
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Wow, sharp interior!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WOW! What a cleaning job!
See my thread about making new shifter boots: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5074&hilit=boots
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

Thanks, I am very happy with how it is turning out. Not bad for an '84! I think the parts car has some better brown plastic for down low (up front) that I will swap out in time.
Rear:
IMG_20180418_153301959_HDR (Medium).jpg
K
Last edited by travelbyota on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

Posting more than one attachment at a time, keeps saying image is no longer available...
IMG_20180418_153301959_HDR (Medium).jpg
I really lucked out getting my personal favorite interior/exterior color combo for a Tercel!
K
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Truthfully - your job is just amazing!
You even have a luggage cover!
Can't wait to see the engine bay!
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
FarmerJack
My tercel:: 1987 SR5

Post by FarmerJack »

Kevin: Thanks for pointing me to the photos. You have done a nice job of restoration. Hope to see future photos. I may get down to Stockton Lake for one of their sailboat "messabouts" in July, September or October. If I get down that way, I should come by and see the old Tercel. I built a small sailboat which you can see by googling "OPTI PLUS Duckworks" and I would like to get it out on Stockton. I used to do some business in Springfield but by now, many of the people are retired and the businesses sold. Things change pretty fast these days.

Regards, FarmerJack
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

Hey Jack! Looks like a fun project. If you are in the area, let me know. I should have it well sorted by summer. Cheers,
K
Termell
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel

Post by Termell »

Awesome man, very professional job!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

nice Tercel. it would be a shame to trash it in a gambler race. that should be entered with a rust bucket or one so rough it is not worth restoring. from what it looks like here, that is not this car. go find a beater to enter in the gambler. you will have more fun not worrying about doing harm to a nice tercel4wd. Clean ones are kind of rare these days, and get a high price. but rusty beat up ones with trashed interior are easy to find cheap, or even free sometimes. Those are perfect for entering in the Gambler.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)