Getting a Turtle back in action

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Hoodwagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Re: Getting a Turtle back in action

Post by Hoodwagon »

Looking good man! Not likely i'll get the blue one in action for the Gambler this year....oh well maybe one of their smaller events!
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5
Pacific Northwest, USA
T4WDgambler
My tercel:: 1985, Toyota, Tercel, manual, 4WD, SR5, stock,

Post by T4WDgambler »

Aaannnnddd I know you all have been waiting to hear how the gambler went... well team turtle head made it all 500 miles! Had a few issues with starvation of power, adjusted the carb a few times and tightened it down a bit too. Still not the main issue. Looking under the hood we saw that the A/C was engaged I didn’t know this because like most of you it doesn’t work. As soon as I turned it off we gained like 15HP!! Haha all in all we cursed down the high way around 65MPH and even touched 70MPH, got a little scared because the front sway bar bushings were missing on the right and worn on the left and one of the front sway bar body mount bolts is stripped out and was hanging out a half an inch...yeah yeah yeah I know this is bad so when we got to gambler town I found a guy with a welder and welded that mount right up and yeah it’s now a mess but it drives great no wobble or pulling one way or another. When I do a motor swap I’ll have to change out the front issues but that’s another day another dollar. Just passed DEQ today and it’s going to be awesome to drive it as a daily honk if you see me! Here are some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Props, I think ...
BE CAREFUL !
Your Mother, Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

Hey sometimes you gotta just say fix it later and gamble!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

By the way...Don’t do as I do kids...do better
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

The things I did before take off:
-Abrakadaver lift- would be nice to be a little taller in the back because I took chunks of tread off the tires when hitting bumps, no it wasn’t just because I had 4 people and a trunk full of gear... haha not sure if I can go taller from what I have read..any ideas?
-All new brakes around- idea is to get the Corolla (I think that’s the car) vented front disks conversion better stopping power with bigger tires I hear.
-New/Used transmission- I used a lift at a buddies shop and I see others using jack stands and I do not envy them at all! Pain in the ass!!
-New clutch- easy when you already have the transmission out.
-New spark plugs- wires look new and the ends look clean.
-Oil change and new filter- can’t remember brand but high mileage and synthetic with a K&N filter
-LED dome/reading lights- front and back
-Yakama rack with basket- extensions on the risers to alow a light bar, shovel, axe, and high lift to be mounted underneath.
-Kicker speakers with a new stereo- can’t remember brand of deck, all has to be redone because the windows have to be down and to hear the music you have to turn it alllll the way up just before the speakers start to crack...
-Grant steering wheel- with conversion for the car, makes sooo much of a difference because I’m a bigger dude my legs don’t have an issue shifting and getting in... well worth it!
-LED light bar- 36” bar with pods for the front-lower, switches are mounted in the center console to the right of the 4wd shifter is... where one hole was open and the other I cut out to fit and works perfect!!

It’s still a work in progress so I’ll have to come back to this list when I have more.
YakSr5
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 lifted

Post by YakSr5 »

air shocks will fix your rubbing issue in the rear.