Getting a Turtle back in action

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
T4WDgambler
My tercel:: 1985, Toyota, Tercel, manual, 4WD, SR5, stock,

Getting a Turtle back in action

Post by T4WDgambler »

The start of my project I will update you all with more information, but for now I will leave you with these “before” pictures of my new Turtle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by T4WDgambler on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Re: Getting a Turtle back in action

Post by seantp »

NIiice. 83?
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

‘85 !! and thank you I’m very excited to be an owner of one of these gems. Now, I had no clue these even existed before I stumbled across this one on Craigslist, so I’m a bit fresh on the lingo and knowledge about them but I’m eager to learn and wrench! Let’s go!
Hoodwagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by Hoodwagon »

Yay! Another 85' T4 headed toward the gambler. Keep an eye on my build thread! I am likely going to be attempting to lift it Abra Cadaver style in a couple 3 weeks.

Your's looks pretty clean and was a steal even if you paid the 400 bucks the guy was asking.
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5
Pacific Northwest, USA
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

Have you priced out what that will cost to do yet? I was looking at that one just not sure how much everything will be. I’m looking at a couple cars at pick and pull to do the lift just unsure but I have to start soon. Trans is still bad going to be doing that one here too I’ll keep posting pictures of my progress too! We’ll have to meet up out there when it starts!
Hoodwagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by Hoodwagon »

I haven't fully priced things. I am thinking about a hybrid option where I put the MA700 air shocks in the back (like 70 bucks a pair online) and then replace the front struts (mine are blown anyway), coils and hats/seats from an 86 Camry they have at the pick and pull down on Foster rd. That or Jimcrazy makes some nice aluminum spacers for the front but at 100 bucks a set I don't think I want to put them on both of my Tercels!
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5
Pacific Northwest, USA
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

Ok good to know I’ll stay off the one on foster and go to the one in Sherwood, it’s closer anyways. Funny that we’re both working on the same thing at the same time. We might want to meet up and shoot the shit about or ideas and we might be able to help each other out? If you want my number I’ll give it to you so we can respond quicker then through here. Message me about that though. I’m getting anxious about getting it ready!
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by seantp »

I did the spacer and Monroe lift. Making the spacers required a drill bit, hole saw and router table from a friend. I am really happy with it!
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

The transformation is coming along!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

Out with the old! Time to order new parts! Are there any aftermarket brake calipers that bolt right on or do I have to use old ones?? They look like only one side is compressing on both sides (drivers and passengers) the back side is this normal or bad?
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

T4WDgambler wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 pm Out with the old! Time to order new parts! Are there any aftermarket brake calipers that bolt right on or do I have to use old ones?? They look like only one side is compressing on both sides (drivers and passengers) the back side is this normal or bad?

Mine did that too. I just changed out the guide pins and bushings. All was well after that. There's a thread somewhere about switching over the brakes from an mr2. That seems to be the best way to go to get away from the flimsy stock brake setup.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

T4WDgambler wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 pm Out with the old! Time to order new parts! Are there any aftermarket brake calipers that bolt right on or do I have to use old ones?? They look like only one side is compressing on both sides (drivers and passengers) the back side is this normal or bad?
do not waste money with factory front brakes, they are too small, they will overheat and warp, discolor and crack the surface of the rotors, etc. There are no bolt on after market brakes available, but there are larger toyota brakes that will bolt right on. works well, many have upgraded to better brakes, both calipers, rotors and power booster and master cyl. can be improved with just bolt on parts, many you can get a wrecking yard, or order new on-line.

Here is my instructions to install larger front brakes on your Tercel4wd.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4998
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

Here is a sneak peek after I just got it on the ground after doing the abracadaver lift! It was a long process because I ordered some of the parts off of summit racing and only ordered one shock and one strut because I don’t know how to read and the parts took 2-3 weeks to get, so then I ordered the rest of the parts from rock auto to see if they would get here faster and they came in less than a week and some next day. So I recommend ordering from rock auto, I learned the hard way for you all...no thanks needed. 🙃
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Looks great. I'm really digging how you have your roof basket and led light bar set up. I had mine mounted opposite of yours. Basket on the bottom, light bar on the top. I have since been running without the light bar as it adds too much drag for the way I drive. :/
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
T4WDgambler

Post by T4WDgambler »

Hey thanks! Yeah I used yakama tower extenders to get a few more inches so the bar can be mounted below the basket. Also alows storage under the basket for axe and shovel... or what ever else I think of haha