4a rebuild for the Rusty Frog

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

4a rebuild for the Rusty Frog

Post by NWMO »

Just getting started. Puchased a 4a out of an 85’ Nova.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: 4a rebuild for the Rusty Frog

Post by jimcrazy »

you will like the 4a,,mine will cruse all day at 75mph turning 3300 rpm with the 195-70-14" tires,mine also came out of a 85 nova will only 60000 miles on it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I hope mine looks that nice after I get done, looking forward to it. I am figuring on the 272 regrind on the cam as well which won’t hurt.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

the only thing I did was machined about 3 pounds off the flywheel,,cant tell you if it made a big difference because I did not run the 4a before I installed it
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Jim,

I was figuring on that as well. It sounds like the weight reduction might cause a little challenge shifting (as the engine slows RPM more quickly w/o the heavier flywheel). Did you notice any difference in shifting?

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

jimcrazy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:21 pm you will like the 4a,,mine will cruse all day at 75mph turning 3300 rpm with the 195-70-14" tires,mine also came out of a 85 nova will only 60000 miles on it
Perhaps a hijack, but - I did not show this to Goldie; she is envious and will urge/coerce/demand me to at least clean the engine bay before Spring; however, she is content with her 3AC!
Props!

@ Chris - if you bring the Frog to STL next year with the 4AC - warn me early so I can park Goldie around the corner! :wink:
Tom M.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

chris,,,,,,,, I did not notice a diference in shifting,,but I am not much of a gear jammer any more,getting older and grew out of that lol,i did the swap because I do a lot of summer driving, I put on a little over 63000 miles in 20 months of summer driving in 3 years just needed a little power on the highway and Tom that's the way the engine looked when I brought her,,she was clean.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

jimcrazy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:02 am... and Tom, that's the way the engine looked when I brought her, she was clean
WOW - you lucked out!
I am blessed, in that Goldie does not even know the Internet exists - :o
Shhh ...
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good to know Jim.

Tom - Not if, when! The new engine will need some miles and I will deserve some Terc time in the seat. On a side bar, my fam and I will be in town at the end of the month. Any chance you will be around?

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I'm always here - give me a buzz.
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

lightening the flywheel improves throttle response, speeds up the engine spool up. it does not give you more power. I like mine lighted, stock is it 19 lbs (the corolla flywheel is only 16 lbs). Mine lightened Tercel flywheel is about 14 lbs. If you double clutch or "heel-toe" the throttle and brake, between shifts, the lighter flywheel gives the engine faster throttle response. I doubt it would make any difference on acceleration since that is a matter of engine power.

Make sure you have it balanced after it is lightened.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 am I'm always here - give me a buzz.
Tom
The flu got my wife and I’m working on passing a kidney stone, so we are missing the St Louis get together. Have a happy new year!

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Chris -
DRAT!
Kidney stone? :shock: :( OMG!
A close friend went through this and he said he now knows what giving birth must be like. His wife hit him upside the head, however ...
Flu for the wife? Did she have a flu shot? Curious, as many say this year's shot is not too effective.
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Tom,

My kidney stones experience is more of a heavy dull pain that wears me out, not the excruciating pain some describe. Negative on the flu shot, not quite anti-vaccers, but close. Dr told her it looked like a strain that wouldn’t have been covered by the shot anyway. I will be in touch when it works out and will of course post here with updates on the engine swap.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

18 years ago I got a very painful kidney stone in the middle of the night, required a visit to the emergency room, and heavy duty pain killers until it passed into my bladder. X-xrays revealed there were two more hanging out in the kidney (for some reason I only had them in my left kidney). Dr. said they were small enough to pass (thanks a lot doc).

I read up on home treatments, most were about water and lemon juice. One was green tea. So I drank a gallon of green tea a day (I would make a quart at a time). Apparently all three dissolved, none every came out (they had me peeing in a funnel with a screen so I could send a sample to the lab, but I did not catch a single grain).

So now I drink green and black tea daily, about 4 to six cups, and never had one since. You might give it a try. there are several different types of kidney stones, so it may not work with other types, but it worked for me.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)