4a rebuild for the Rusty Frog

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 4a rebuild for the Rusty Frog

Post by NWMO »

It’s all on me now, nothing else to wait on. Working on my son’s Maverick this weekend. Hopefully I’ll make some time for the Rusty Frog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Ok,

Beautiful December day, working on the Rusty Frog. I got the new clutch aligned and tested with an input shaft (thanks teranfirbt).

Cleaned things up and went to replace the throw-out bearing with one I got with the P/P and clutch from a fellow member here, but it isn’t the correct part. The taller unit is off my 85’ and what I need, just curious if anyone knows what the other t/o bearing is for.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NWMO on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Another pic, don’t know why it’s doubling this one.
Last edited by NWMO on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Another pic

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Another pic

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Alright,

We got the bearing off the “piece” easy enough, but even if I drive the center out of the other bearing, the IDs appear quite different. I assume it goes to something else or there was a change during production.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Another pic

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Got the transaxle fluid changed, landed new motor mounts and got the clutch release bearing installed. Ready to slide the engine in, maybe tomorrow.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Alrighty,

Muted success. I got the engine dropped in this evening and bolted up nicely, but not without 2 casualties. Desiring to be honest so others can learn, I unfortunately decided to leave the driver’s side bracket that connects the transmission to the engine bolted on the tranny. It was broken pretty quickly as we pushed the engine into place. Secondly, I tried to leave the “dust cover” for lack of a better description on the bottom of the steel plate that is between the engine and tranny. After having them mostly slid together the first time, I realized this cover had gotten pushed up and wedged between the engine and tranny. Pulled it most of the way off to get the plastic cover pulled out and then bolted together. I got the engine and tranny together by “rocking” and pushing some, but didn’t use the bolts to pull together over fear of not being perfectly seated in the pilot bearing. Things slid together and I seated the bolts by hand.

I assume I can clean up and weld the bracket (though cast is a PITA) or do I need to get a replacement? The bolt was still tightly in the transmission body, I didn’t see any apparent damage there. Any concern about the plastic sheild?

TIA,

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

best to replace the broken bracket. I did the same thing once, but had a spare from a parts car I stripped some years before.

welding would probably be okay, it is not a highly loaded part. clean it good, grind a V-grove at the weld joint, and than heat it in an oven as hot as you can get it before you weld it. should weld up okay. be careful you keep the alignment of the hole. You might assemble a simple jig to hold it in place while you weld it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thank you Petros,

Man, it get’s pretty quiet when you’re away. I started down the JB Weld path this evening, drilled some pins for shear strength, will add some thin steel on the exterior as well. Thanks for all the help.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Good News Chris,

I was digging through some boxes of car parts last week and found not one, but two spar side trans-to-engine brackets. You are welcome to one of them if you want it. if you are nearby you can pick in up in person, or just pay shipping and I will mail it to you.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks for the offer Peter,

The hillbilly repair went well and I am confident will do the job. As this is not a "forever" project, I don't think I will need a replacement. Thank you though and I will certainly keep the offer in mind if I have any issues.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if you are ever up in my neck of the woods, or if I get down your way, I would be happy to hand it to you when we meet. PM me your address, or at least your city, and I will keep that in mind when I get a chance to go down your way when I have other reasons to go there.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good golly time goes quickly. I still promise a decent wrap up post, but wanted to share this pic of my oil pressure gauge. If you’ve followed recent posts, the 4a is doing well, roughly 13k on the rebuild and it definitely likes the highway better, though long or steep hills still require a downshift.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain