Interchange fuzziness

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
NMguy
My tercel:: '87 DLX, '86 SR5, '82 SR5 (parting)

Interchange fuzziness

Post by NMguy »

Purchaced a wrecked T4 the other day to use for parts. I have an '86 SR5 and an '87 DLX. So I'm aware that I have two different generations of Tercel. The funny thing is, I buy the car thinking it to be an '84 to '86 model. My concern was saving the thing from the wreckers and really didn't care what year it was. After all, it's an SR5 manual with good glass. Once I got the beast towed home I looked at the data plate: JT2AL35W8D0007559 -- Sept. 1982! Surprise!

But now I'm puzzled: Was hoping at least to pop that great factory windshield into my '86 for starters. I'm psyched to have spare switches, a tach to pop into the DLX... you name it. Now I'm wondering if I even have a spare clutch pack or transmission that I can use. But I have to admit that I'm stumped and don't know what I've got. I do know that I have a 3A Federal engine with 166k miles to rebuild (although it's way too early) in which case I will swap it into the '86 that is now fully broken in at 300k. And I'll re-build that.

Any of you great folks out there know what's important and saught after on '82s? What I can't use I would very much like to share. Thanks! I think I read here that the seat tracks are different as well? I really liked those plaid seats, but once I get some facts I can part with whatever I can't use.

BTW, first post, and I want to share my gratitude with y'all. Been driving my '86 for 12 years now and my '87 is my daily driver. The 87 still has the original carb and I can push her past 80mph. I drive a lot of highway.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Interchange fuzziness

Post by Mattel »

The diff ratios will be higher in the 1982 so you can swap out both and put in your '87 and use less revs on the highway. As long as both your cars are 4wd verything should swap over. the seats are only four bolts on both so should be an easy check. I would just take one out of the '82 and put it in position in the '87. good excuse to find some spare change and clean the carpet! I don't think they changed the rails. The sr5 seats are so good on long drives!

Do you have the inclometer in the '82. it should bolt right into the '87. I believe the connector plug should be there in the later model. someone might need to varify.

TBH they changed very little on these cars through the years. You should be able to use the lot! just make sure if you change the diff you have to change the back one as well to match the ratio otherwise 4wd won't work. Good Luck!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum!

this should actually be an early front drive model of the second gen Tercel, same platform as the T4wd,

JT2AL35 indicates second generation, hatch back SR5 model. If it was built in Sept '82, it would be the 1983 model year. It should have the same seats and gear cluster as the 4wd SR5, engine should be the same, as well as front suspension and windshield, front fenders, etc. Actually everything firewall forward should be the same.

Save the transmission for parts, many internal parts, particularly the syncros, are interchangeable with the 4wd trans.

can you post a picture of it? It should be good for a lot of spare parts on the T4wd, though there will be some detail differences in trim, color, emissions, etc.

where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm a bit confused about the VIN is it really AL35? 4wd wagons should be AL25
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

AL25 is 4wd wagon

AL35 is SR5 front wheel drive sedan

AL21 is DLX front wheel drive sedan.

according to the listing I read
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

according to wiki, the first gen was L10, sencond gen L20, and thrid gen is L30 (which started in 1986).

so it would not be possible to have an L35 made in 1982?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tercel
NMguy

Post by NMguy »

Petros, Thank you! To answer I am in New Mexico. I owe you a debt of gratitude because your video on how to change rear axle bearings saved my '87. It was a load of fun to do and gave me a lot of confidence. Mattel, thanks as well. I double checked and indeed the data plate says AL35. That's what is so interesting... I was all, "what is this thing?" Now, I have a few irons in the fire and a bit of learning curve as to posting pictures for you. But I will provide these. Finally, yes. The '82 came with the inclinometer, half functioning. It will need some special consideration. Think I might put it in the '86 since it has the sunroof.

As an aside, I went through the starting systems on both vehicles this spring and it is really cool to be able to service such things as ignition switches. Low tech indeed beats high tech in this case.

Again, Thanks! I will re-read very carefully and provide visuals.
NMguy

Post by NMguy »

Ok, briefly, I will attempt to provide images. One thing is fascinating: The door data plate on the 82/3 says "AL35". The Engine compartment plate under model information specifies "AL25". I think this is where some confusion happens. But it's kind of cool. Now the damage sustained is the driver's side fender. The shock tower is crushed sideways into the brake master cylinder and the booster. The battery tray was crushed. The poor radiator is smashed into the power steering resivoir and the outermost pulley in front of the block. If I am capable of posting images you will note the interesting "lift" kit at the shock tower, some custom paint to the grill and other forensics. Apparently the factory got lazy with the engine compartment data plates towards the late 80s because there is no information above the "Model" data on the 87, unlike the previous years' plates. Thanks!

PS, not sure about data size on image attachments or what "place inline" means, so I guess we'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NMguy

Post by NMguy »

Off topic, but of note: In a former incarnation of my life I owned several Ford Falcons. The smallest engine displacement in the 60 to 63(?) falcons was 144 cubic inches. Then the 170, 200, and the insane V8s. People have stuffed 351 windsors and clevelands into those, with T4s and lord knows. The history of unibody vehicles, compacts, is interesting. The Falcon was made to compete with the VW Beetle and the Corvaire. Then I come to learn that a "Tercel" is also a small bird of prey, a small falcon. So stepping into an inline 4 with almost 62% of the displacement if an early 60's "fun sized" vehicle is a sort of a trip. But with these unibody cars, unfortunately, they are delicate. I'm really inspired by the steel front bumper build in the forum here.

Somehow providence landed me at a job at Northwest Classic Falcons in Portland, working for Ron and Jean back when. They are the sweetest, kindest people you could ever meet. To me it was an art museum. A little church of dusty car guts and pieces parts. Trim and chrome, glass, and an amazing... amazing '62 clock dealership upgrade of which there might be 3 made... I saw one. One day I was handed a wrench and a jack and was told to take apart that '68. I failed. Hard. It's all in how one approaches a thing. Is it a piece of meat? Is it a limited edition art project? So when you save a thing, I guess, there is a responsibility to it. Maybe it's just nuance? When people start to talk to you and they say, wow! I had one of those... it's really cool. And then the best thing one can do is just tear the thing apart, like Dalton in Road House, and be nice.

I even got to see a 61 Futura with bucket seats and a console. I was jealous of it. Sometimes there were those half model year factory specials that just happened. It will take me a few days to start deconstruction of this early bird, but then, when it goes down, hold me to it. Thanks!