Hello From Calahoo!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Hello From Calahoo!

Post by marlinh »

You are so lucky to have walked away from that accident. There are lots of these cars here in the Kootenays, and a few show up in pretty good shape. A long ways to haul a non runner home. We have a few members in Alberta. They may hear of something coming up for sale. Good luck with your search.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Three high school kids were recently killed in a similar accident near here. they ran into a semi trailer parked on the highway and their modern SUV went under it, shearing the top off. The air bags kept them from ducking and it appears they all were decapitated. Another survived with minor injuries, must have been in the back seat, perhaps laying down (it was 4 in the morning). I can not imagine the horor and the heart ache of the parents, nor the trauma of the survivor, likely covered in bloody remains of her class mates. No reports of it yet, but under aged drinking is suspected.

Air bags did not help.

Here is the story.

https://patch.com/washington/edmonds/3- ... l-students
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

Holy $h!t. My Tercel could've easily looked like that had I not turned. Hurrah no airbags. And that happened near where you are petros?

This one is my news story:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3436505/teen- ... chool-bus/
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

not far, about 20 miles south in a much more populous area (I live in a rural area). I am familiar exactly with the area this occurred. I have driven this road many times.

the driver was 16 and just had his license two months. the little shit took the family car out late without permission, went and pick up three friends (all 15 or 16 years old) and went joy riding all night. In this state it is illegal to have minors in your car (unless they are family members) unless you are 18. They have found that exactly this kind of joy riding, and showing off to your piers, has lead to many such injuries and deaths, so they made it illegal. Everyone who is 16 knows this, you have a temp license with limited driving privileges. If you get a two speeding tickets, in an accident, or get a drunk driving arrest, you your provisional license is suspended until you turn 18, this kid already had one speeding ticket.

All of them were breaking the law, and like history shows, were acting stupid. There have even studies on this, when teenagres get together, they act stupid. Double stupid. Bad enough they endanger themselves, but kill several others in the process. Exactly why they changed the learner's permit process for those under 18 years old.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I just heard on the news tonight that another person was killed by an airbag. It deployed in an accident and it malfunctioned, metal penetrated the skull of a young mother who was driving the car in Florida. She was 34 years old, she had her children in the car with her at the time.

That kind of death can not occur in a car without airbags.

here is the story:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStor ... h-48891595
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Petros wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 am There have even studies on this, when teenagres get together, they act stupid.
Alright, as a teenager I can vouch for that. Though me and my friends havent done anything like that. That's just careless and irresponsible. Instead, we put laxatives in our colleagues coffee and silly string his truck cause we dont like him... Chinese fire drills are fun too... Or skiing behind the truck in the school parking lot. But when entitled little shites are involved, that's a problem, especially those with no regard for others.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I never drove irresponsibly as a teenage either (I had to buy and fix up with my own money every car I owned), but that does not mean there are others teenagers that do stupid and dangerous things. It is known that with high levels of testosterone, risk taking also increases.

I was once in a car driven by a family friend (our parents were actually friends) when I was a teenager. We took the family station wagon to get something at the store while our parents visited and were getting dinner ready. While on the way to the store he saw someone he knew in another car, he honked the horn, waved at his friend, and to show off, he floored the gas, drove the big car through an intersection with heavy traffic, against a red light, by driving on the wrong side of the road. I was shitting bricks thinking we were going to die. I could not believe what a stupid jackass this kid was. I told him if he ever drives like that again with anyone else in a car I would break both his arms. I never drove with him again, clearly something was wrong with this kid when ever he had a chance to show off to his friends. I later learned that he wrecked more than a few cars, and within a few years his parents kicked him out of the house unable to control his bad behavior. It is was hart breaking, we knew the whole family, none of his siblings were so out of countrol. They were actually all smart kids.

For some I guess they suffer from testosterone poising. The job of parents is to make sure their children grow up safely past the teenage years.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Yeah me and my friends dont do irresponsibly dumb stuff, it's usually planned out, and more frowned upon than dangerous
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

I made dis
WP_20170829_16_19_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20170829_16_19_57_Pro.jpg
I found the base whilst I was drunk with some friends in an alley, and just bolted it right to the bottom of the seat. The seat is the drivers one from my crashed Tercel, and is an improvement from my cushionless piece of crap office chair I used to use!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Beautiful!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

So I got a new wagon for now. 2007 Subaru Outback, 207km's, AWD, 5 speed stick. Not quite a tercel, but I guess it will have to do. Although I must say it has quite a bit more get up n go than the old 3a ever will!
FormatFactoryWP_20171118_16_14_53_Pro.jpg
FormatFactoryWP_20171118_16_14_36_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Just put in my aftermarket head unit in the Subaru... I had it easy with the old Tercel. Can't imagine running power for my subs is going to be any easier either :(
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

were your old heads corroded away? what is an aftermarket head? or it is a reconditioned/rebuilt head?
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Petros wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:02 am were your old heads corroded away? what is an aftermarket head? or it is a reconditioned/rebuilt head?
Head unit is a radio.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

BaileySims wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:49 am Head unit is a radio.
oh! LOL, well when talking about a head in an auto context, I automatically go to engine head.

In fact, I do not think I have ever heard the term "head" when referring to a radio, but I am likely about 30 years out of date when it comes to car sounds systems.