Hello from Slovakia

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Jojo
My tercel:: 1986 4wd

Hello from Slovakia

Post by Jojo »

First, pardon my English, :-)

Last month I bought Toyota Tercel 4WD, AL25. I spend 150 euro on it and cars condition was worth that money. But it is the only Tercel in Slovakia (couple years ago I have seen Corolla 4WD in one mountain village). As far as I know, now it is only this one. With some kind of custom front bumper...

I will try to add some pictures. I already started to disassembly engine due to enormous blue-white smoke and I found some other surprises.

For example, camshaft bearing cap bolt was broken, then some "mechanic" welded it back... I am not sure, how to deal with it. Maybe som plastic metal will do the job, maybe I will visit my welding teacher and he can weld some aluminium back. And then we can remove excess material by CNC.

Because there is no other spare 3A engine head on this planet (even in Poland) :-).

After engine I am plannig to rebuild floor and door rocker panels(and overall bodywork), then new paint.
20170703_210011.jpg
20170715_194808.jpg
20170706_134628.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: Hello from Slovakia

Post by helipilot77 »

Welcome. Glad to have a representative from Slovakia. It's nice to see your determination to repair your car and get it back on the road. Keep it up!
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Nice looking car. Welcome to the club.

If there are still threads left for that cam bolt, maybe you can grind it flat and shim it to the right height. There is not a lot of torque on those bolts.
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

marlinh wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 am Nice looking car. Welcome to the club.

If there are still threads left for that cam bolt, maybe you can grind it flat and shim it to the right height. There is not a lot of torque on those bolts.
Many thanks, shims look like good idea.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Good luck!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

There are still plenty of these cars around France if you have contacts there you might be able to get the parts you need including heads. Good luck on your project. You could upgrade to a 4ac or even 4afe if they are easier to find near you!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

You also have the very rare front bumper and roof rails that none of us have. By chance does your numberplate have a winch behind it? does it flip up?
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

Nice to have you join. That trim package for the Tercel looks like what was sold in Germany, that front bumper has a hidden winch behind the licence plate.

That cam shaft bolt can be fixed, if you can not back in it out, carefully drill it out and than put oversized thread insert. your local auto machine show should know hot to fix it. as far as the bearing cap, if it is damaged, than yes, welding up and machining it back to shape is one option (heat the part up before welding). Another option might be to carve out a new bearing cap out of a metal blank. Either way you will have to have the cam bearings align bored so it is all be in the correct shape and alignment.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

To Mattel: Unfortunately, winch is gone. I am not sure, if ever was any there, But I have not checked wiring properly. First thing is head - to make car moving. I am trying to find some engine in Poland - it is large market with reasonable prices (and it is close), but I will try French too, so many thanks.
To Petros: Thanks for suggestions (and I used your way of removing head, so thanks for that too).
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Toyota-Tercel-Al ... fresh=true

Your front bumper might have originally looked like this
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

You might be able to get it working with this engine. should bolt right in with the sump from your car and a few other modifications including exhaust headers to fit around your stearing box
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motor-Toyota-1-6 ... SwyltZW0bE it will need the computer and fuel pump
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Mattel wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 am You might be able to get it working with this engine. should bolt right in with the sump from your car and a few other modifications including exhaust headers to fit around your stearing box
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motor-Toyota-1-6 ... SwyltZW0bE it will need the computer and fuel pump
And a lots of wiring around. :-) I found the same engine in Slovakia for a third of German price (only stripped engine). So I am thinking. Head rebuild would be great and car will be original. But lack of power... On the other hand, there is no original carburetor on this one. There is East German Pierburg there with a lots of workarounds... I think I choose power....

Today I have another problem. I have to move car to district traffic police department somehow . Today (maybe Monday) it is last chance to register car in my district. (You get new district licence plates in Slovakia, when you buy car from another district. And they will check VIN number - that is why I have to move car. Of course, I can make it later, but with additional fee).
So, fingers crossed!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

you are right there about the wiring. forgot about that one! Power is a great option. Really depends how patient you are with parts. Even a 4ac rather than 3ac will give you an extra 10% power.
Slovakia seems to be quite harsh on car rules! good luck with the licence plates.. do you have to tow it?
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

What about 4E-FE engine from E11 Corolla? Would it work? It is 1.3 litre engine with some 60HP. Not much, but can be.
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Update: New licence plates are at home (I towed car on a bar for VIN check).
Engine head is desoladed by agressive antifreeze, oil is leaking to cylinder from nowhere...(I was unable to find source, but valve seal was in good shape.
20170725_211149.jpg
Project is a bit frozen, I have to finish other cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.