New member intro '86 SR5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Fj40z
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 4wd Tercel

Re: New member intro '86 SR5

Post by Fj40z »

Petros wrote:welcome to the forum!

looks like a very nice buy. usually the popping out of gear means the main shaft bearings are worn and sloppy, and it allows the gear cluster to shift forward and aft when you accelerate/decelerate, and it is enough moment to cause it to shift out of gear.

It should be addressed soon if the flush and refill does not help. If it continues to wear something will eventually fail and cause the transmission to bundle up, right now it can be fixed. Replacing the main bearings and seals is not too difficult (though you have to pull and tear down the transmission). if you bundle it up it can not be rebuilt, most of it becomes scrap. so go easy on the transmission until you find a good replacement, or get a chance to replace the main bearings. You can install a new clutch and rear main seal while you have the trans out it too.

We visited N. Carolina several years ago, had a good time. We want to take another road trip through the area sometime, and try and go all the way to Maine. Perhaps we can drop by for a visit. We just got back from driving to Boston. We always have a good time on our road trips.
Awesome info and input on the transmission, that's exactly what it feels like. It rarely does it now, only once in about 400 miles of driving it since owning. It does have me a little worried though. I also have to replace the passenger side CV, any recommendations on which one to source?

Anytime you're coming through NC feel free to stop by!! There's an nice river close by and some good camping as well!
86 Tercel SR5 4wd 5 speed
1997 FZJ80 LandCruiser triple locked
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
Buzzard67
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Delux

Post by Buzzard67 »

Very cool.
Just looking at the pictures and around the front and back wheel look black. Is that paint , plastic or bedliner product? Just curious still looks cool. Have lots of fun and post more pictures.
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

Buzzard67 wrote:Very cool.
Just looking at the pictures and around the front and back wheel look black. Is that paint , plastic or bedliner product? Just curious still looks cool. Have lots of fun and post more pictures.
LOL that is a pitiful attempt at fixing rust in the wheelmwells by the previous owner. I would have much rather him just left it rusty and let me fix it. He didn't mislead me or anything, I knew it was there I would have just much rather dealt with it before he did that.
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

On a side note I did find a rather filthy but solid 4wd Tercel in the local junkyard. It was driven in there, supposedly the trans is good. $250 if I pull it $350 if they pull it. The motor looks pretty clean, the head was shiny as new must have just been rebuilt. Said it was scrapped because the tie for ends and ball joints were shot.
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

Here's some pics
IMG_4319.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

Some more
IMG_4320.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

Engine
IMG_4317.JPG
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

Since I figured out how to post pics again here some more of mine with load bars added
IMG_4299.JPG
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Always sad to see a good tercel junked like that. I'd grab the carb and all the vacuum stuff, the EBCV, etc.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

ball joints and tie rod ends are an easy fix, stupid to trash a good running tercel just for that.

best grab that trans, if it is indeed good. $250 and you should be able to get it out in under an hour. I have done it in 45 min with hand tools (as long as nothing gets stuck or rusted in place). Even if you do not need it, someone on the forum will buy it from you sooner or later. it is always good to have a spare trans since if you suddenly need one you will not likely find one in a hurry, so go get it now. there are a lot of other spart parts i would also get if you have a place to keep them (front steering knuckles if the bearings are good, both rear axles if the rear bearings are good, carb, radiator if good double row model, shift lever if bushings are good, plus).

Only buy new cv axles, do not waste any money on the remanufuactured cv axles, most are junk (right out of the box). Rockauto.com usually has a good deal, sometimes they have close outs at $30-35 each. about $60-90 each is typical good price.

It does not sound like the trans bearings are that bad, but it is just a matter of time, keep it topped up with gear oil and drive it gently may last a while. You can swap out the other trans from the wrecking yard when you need a clutch or rear main seal, and take your time replacing the bearings on yours.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)