Ridlbox Gates new tranny

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Ridlbox Gates new tranny

Post by Ridlbox »

Before I say anything about my transmission I must give mad props to Dan for helping me do this work. Couple of weeks ago I drove from my house towards Dan's house in Reno. At first it felt like the clutch went out on my Tercel it turns out it was the entire transmission. After a day of pulling my transmission and then another day at Pick N Pull we replaced the rear pumpkin gears transmission and now my car is running on 1987 gears in a 1984 Toyota I do not believe we took any pictures of the process as we were doing it in a hurry but thank you again Dan you were awesome and as always my car still is alive
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Re: Ridlbox Gates new tranny

Post by Jonymoto »

So what went wrong with the tranny? Could you elaborate please as it might come handy if we are ever in this situaion. Was there any sign that the tranny was going? Yes, I agree with you Dan is a real great guy. He's helped me with parts a couple of time despite the distance between us.
Thanks.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

The biggest problem with my transmission was me I had forgotten to check fluid levels of transmission despite all of the work I do put into my car when I do work on itthere was no real indicator that it was going out other than all of a sudden it wouldn't shift into Forest and I had to stop the vehicle to get it to go into first gear or any here for that matter rather strange if you ask me
That's my new goal 8)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

That's the worst thing I dread most, a broken tranny. There doesn't seem to be any available in Oz for the T4. So I check the level every 5,000kms (about 3,000 miles) and replace the oil every 10,000kms as a precaution.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Cliff
You left a few Gates bolts sitting next to your muffler bearings :lol: and you should know better than to shift into the forest :mrgreen: :lol: :oldgeek:

The lesson here for any new members is CHECK YOUR GEAR OIL :oldgeek:
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

So my stupid spellcheck is not the best thanks again Dan you are the man
That's my new goal 8)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Excuse my English guys, what does "shift into the forest" mean? Is this an American term or is it just my English? English is not my first language (French is), but I've been speaking English since I was 12 and still learning.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Forest was a typo for 4th gear

Shift into fourth

I was teasing him it means nothing
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks Dan, now I understand what he meant about spell check.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is always good to shift into forest when ever you can, sure beats shifting into city or desert any time.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

Sometimes I feel like my phone is just too darn smart today is not one of those times
That's my new goal 8)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Be suspicious of anything with the word smart in front of it like smart phone, smart meter. A few years ago all our analogue electrical meters were being replaced with smart meters. It cost me about $250 for a new meter because I have solar panels.
These meters are supposedly able to be read remotely via the telephone line/internet. So they don't send someone out to read them anymore. Guess what, I'm now having to read it for them otherwise they'll just calculate my usage based on an average which doesn't reflect the true usage. As far as I'm concerned, It was all a con to save themselves money as usual to increase their profits.
Recently, we've had a lot of outages with the phone line. For some reason the meter reset itself to zero and God only knows what the usage has been since I last read it. No doubt I'll get ripped off again. I'll stop whingeing now. This site is very therapeutic I find.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am especially leary of the "smart" car. recently in the news here was a Tesela that supposedly was on autopilot, the owner (who was not driving, but letting the "smart" features of the car drive it self) was being distracted by watching a movie, had the costly car plowed into a semi-tractor-trailor rig. It killed the driver and totaled the car. Tesela of course is blaming the driver, who was not driving at all.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Petros wrote:I am especially leary of the "smart" car. recently in the news here was a Tesela that supposedly was on autopilot, the owner (who was not driving, but letting the "smart" features of the car drive it self) was being distracted by watching a movie, had the costly car plowed into a semi-tractor-trailor rig. It killed the driver and totaled the car. Tesela of course is blaming the driver, who was not driving at all.

It was proven last night that the car was not on autopilot at the time of the crash. The Tesla autopilot requires you to keep both hands on the wheel, and the guy did not, and 30 seconds before the crash the car warned him and turned autopilot off. After which the guy crashed the car himself because he didn't know what was going on when he was supposed to be paying attention.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Tesla Autopilot has fewer crashes per 100 million miles driven than the average U.S. motorist, 0.76 crashes per 100,000,000 miles driven. Autopilot is safe, humans are dangerous... (It was also a worst case scenario: a white, unmarked trailer, perpendicular to the highway, against an overcast sky. Not something you encounter on your daily commute and certainly something that is difficult to model for a driver's aid.)
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited