Instrument Cluster From an old wooden Fence post

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Instrument Cluster From an old wooden Fence post

Post by BaileySims »

Yes, my boot clamp came off. No, I don't care.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

north American Tercel4wd got a very primitive ECM, basically its a relay box with some simple "if-than" switches, one of which is driven by the O2 sensor. the carb has two fuel cut off solenoids that cut off fuel if you down shift or use engine braking (to eliminate rich mixture and exhaust pop) and one that cuts off fuel at shut off to prevent run-on. Both actually improve fuel economy, and reduce emissions. there is also an ECM controlled device on the right fender that adjust low speed mixture by allowing by-pass air to "leak" under the carb to allow lean mixture at certain driving conditions. It is essentially a variable fuel air mixture device for low speed/low rpm driving, it too improves economy. if it malfunctions and you try and by pass it so it runs decent, the fuel economy drops off.

I would think you may have the same boss on your exhaust manifold already (if you get the same manifold design), you just either have to remove a plug, or even drill it out and thread the hole for your sensor. It is on the front side of the exhaust manifold just above the flange for the head pipe. if you have the boss already there, you do not need to weld it, just drill and thread it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks Bailey & Petros. That info is very interesting.
Bailey, looks like you've got an extra clamp, not a loose one, unless it's the one from the cv joint.
Petros - that fuel economy must be doing its job. Overhere I usually get around 29-30mpg (imperial gallon) around town or 25mpg (US). From the posts that I've come across, you guys seem to be getting around 30mpg + (US). I use 95 octane unleaded fuel with no ethanol. The next one down is 91 octane, but I get a lot of pinging with it. Overhere the manual says 97 octane leaded petrol, but I find 95 works fine.

I checked my exhaust manifold yesterday and there is an oval shape blanking plate where Bailey's photo shows the o2 sensor. So there will be a hole behind the blanking plate.
In your setup, Does the o2 sensor screw into the oval plate or is the plate part of the sensor? I'm going to take that plate off tomorrow and check it out. My guess is that I just have to drill and tap this plate. I've got a spare o2 sensor for a Rav4. I wonder if I could use that with an AFR gauge?
The main reason I'm interested in an AFR gauge is to make sure that the carburettor is set properly.

Another question out of curiosity - do you still use the stock o2 sensor if you do a weber conversion? I did think of doing this at one point, but a Weber carbie here is about $600 (Aussie) - about US$425 and reading your posts it doesn't sound like it is worth it apart from being able to get rid of the emission hoses.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Check a USA distributor to see if they will ship to OZ. My source was National Carburetor. Its current price for a Weber 32/36 DGEV is US300/425AU - dunno if you will have to add OZ duty. You should get a Holley #1204 fuel adjuster, as the OE pump puts out too much pressure - the current prices here are USD 32+/43AU.
I left the O2 sensor in place; while it hooks up to the "computer," it is useless to me, esp. as the only emission item left on the car is the cat converter - left as much to muffle noise as anything else.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

now that you ask, yes I recall the stock Tercel O2 sensor has a plate as part of the assembly. you remove the two bolts to get it out to change it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Found and bought an o2 sensor for the T4 on ebay here. Thanks for all your help guys.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152109759269 ... EBIDX%3AIT
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

It's on the exhaust manifold.

The O2 sensor on the US tercel was for the EBCV, early efforts to vary the air going in.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

It's easy to replace your tach-less instrument cluster with one that has the built-in tachometer, typically found in SR5's. Wiring harnesses are identical, and it will work with no wiring changes. You might have to re-route the speed cable behind, around obstacles such as framework structures, the placement is slightly different. The frame cover is slightly different, because of holes for reset knobs - so swap that too. If you want to keep your mileage the same, its simple to swap the mileage number roller thingy, and melt-weld (I used soldering iron) or hot-glue the plastic tab to secure it back in place.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

here is a photo showing the O2 sensor
shaped like a brown cigar, with one of the 2 mounting bolts visible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

mrdance123 - I've been on a lookout for an SR5 cluster for a long time now. Unfortunately here in Australia, there are very few Tercels left and the wreckers do not keep them. They get crushed as soon as they come in.
I was going to buy one from our good friend Gottolovem, but as he reminded me the ones from the US are in miles not kms. So, regretfully, I've had to let it go.
The reason being that overhere, the government actually budgets x amount of revenue from speeding fines in their yearly budget. So they only allow you to go 3km/hr (for instrument error), over the speed limit in order to catch you speeding. Most fines are incurred by people who accidently go over the limit by 5km/hr and they have fixed and mobile speed cameras everywhere.
This is what happens when governments sell all their assets to the private sectors. They lose the revenues that they used to collect and now have to rely heavily on taxes and fines for revenues and they deliberately reduce speed limits to force you to speed. But they claim it's done for safety. In real life you spend more time watching your speedo than the road. Sorry, I'm rambling on a bit.