New bumper for Ron!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

New bumper for Ron!

Post by GLet71 »

Well, I don't weld, but I found a guy who does. Lo and behold $250 later, I've opened up horizons I've only dreamed of before! The photo of the trailer was my first test run, I've put a 4" drop that works much better. I also needed to shorten up the bike rack so it didn't stick out as much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Re: New bumper for Ron!

Post by Ridlbox »

Nice
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Nice, tube bumper with a hitch is on my list of projects, soon as I get the AC reinstalled.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

What is the brand of your hitch rack?
Granted that I closed my bike store 14 years ago, but I do not recognize it. I sold Hollywood and Saris hitch racks (I preferred Hollywood).
Yakima wanted too much of a commitment, or else I would have sold its products.
Kuat came along after I closed, but I've heard good things about its racks.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

It's a Curt, same guys that do the hidden hitch assemblies, etc. Barely used, holds four bikes, and I got it for $75 on Kijiji. It folds out and away from the car so you can easily access the hatch.
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

That looks a lot like the one I built. https://youtu.be/0-_LbHwmmZg?t=2m23s

Now we can tow things without worrying about the stock one falling off. haha
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Glet, you've done a good job, but I was wondering why you removed the rear bumper? Could you not have mounted the tow bar from underneath the car? I also use my tow bar for carrying bikes. My rack fits directly on the tow ball.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Hijacking the thread...
@ Jonymoto -
Geez, but that car is beautiful! Love the way the window frames are body color! They totally transform the side view.
The dip in the side stripe strip is clever, too.
Another interesting note: Unlike so many of our cars here, you have no permanent staining under the fuel filler door!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just wanted to show how my tow bar was mounted. I will be happy to post photos on how it's mounted underneath for those interested in duplicating it.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

That really is a beautiful car Jonymoto, quick question, whats up with the tag not being in the usual tag spot and the red plate with tercel on it in the usual tag mounting spot? I like that a lot for some reason!!!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

4wdEconoBox wrote:That really is a beautiful car Jonymoto, quick question, whats up with the tag not being in the usual tag spot and the red plate with tercel on it in the usual tag mounting spot? I like that a lot for some reason!!!
In some states of Australia (NSW and Victoria) the government decided that the plate was too far away from the center of the car and needed to be closer to the driver so they put a 'disco reflector' in the ATM and a separate plate holder closer to the drivers side of the car. looks really ugly imho. I took mine off and put it back in the ATM but for a while I put the lights on in both the extra plate holder and the ATM as they left the bulbs in the sockets which looked cool i thought. Was thinking of making it into a giant brake light!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I guess I think it looks cool because its different. I would to have something like that over in the U.S. I might have to try and make something like that out of some plexiglass or something like that.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Mattel is right. But the law has changed now. My wife's RAV4 has the licence plate even further left of centre same as the US.

I should be able to move the plate back into the ATM. The wiring and light for the licence plate is there already. But if I move the plate and its holder, that will leave 3 holes in the tailgate, 2 for the screws and one where the electrical cable goes through. So I haven't bothered.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Maybe use something like this (with appropriate RTV under it): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-1 ... /202209532
Or these -which being black, would prob look better: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorm ... l+retainer They are available in various sizes; some look like this, some are flat, and some are slightly convex.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Jonymoto wrote:Mattel is right. But the law has changed now. My wife's RAV4 has the licence plate even further left of centre same as the US.

I should be able to move the plate back into the ATM. The wiring and light for the licence plate is there already. But if I move the plate and its holder, that will leave 3 holes in the tailgate, 2 for the screws and one where the electrical cable goes through. So I haven't bothered.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4089&p=29939&hilit=tasmania#p29939

Hi Jony if you look at the link here of my old Tercel (I miss it - well the non noisey and slow parts a lot) from a trip I dd through Tasmania in 2008 you'll see that I used the same small plugs that I think Tom is talking about - it looks ok I think. The only part I have of that car now is the reflector panel.

Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms