Another Seattle AL25 member

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Another Seattle AL25 member

Post by Petros »

unless your nephew is an exceptionally responsible 17 year old, all that work might be wasted him. Usually it is better to get a new driver a cheap beater, because it will often they end up getting a lot of bumps and scraps, not to mention neglected maintenance. After they prove they can car for a car, than they can get a classic.

I put a lot of effort into some inexpensive fixers, but were rather nice when I was done, for my daughters. None lasted more than about 4 years. Got beat up and damaged, beyond worth repairing. We saved money, but I put a lot of time rebuilding them, making them nice daily drivers. They are old enough to buy and maintain their own cars now.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WHAT - PETROS - WROTE !
In spades - I can vouch for that! I taught all three girls to drive. The results?
Daughter #1 - drove a stick for many years - always conscientious about maintenance. Buy anything used from her.
Daughter #2 - I gave up on teaching a MT :roll: :lol: :cry: - "Why is the 'Check engine light' on?" Do NOT buy her used car - or anything!
Daughter #3 - drove a stick for years - listened to her husband (not her father!) and bought a new '14 Jeep Wrangler AT 4-door "1/2" 'vert that has been recalled for umpteen issues! Also bought an early Hyundai Excel, again listening to hubbie - unbelievable probs!

Funny - #2 is the smartest of all - a CPA - a wizard in numbers and such for her firm, but for machines? :lol:

Kids, whether boys or girls - unless a motorhead, have more on their mind beyond "Will it start and run?" That is just the way it is.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

every car I have owned, particularly since high school and collage, was BETTER after I bought it and fixed it up. many I sold for much more than I paid for them. the daily drivers I keep in good repair, and only gave them up when they were not worth fixing (usually because they were wrecked, most of those when they were parked...someone smashed into them).

It seems most young people now are not into the "car culture", they treat cars as disposable items, hence they buy cars like hyundais (cheap), do not really think about a long term future with them. Like a phone or computer. I keep my working phones for 5-6 years, everyone says "that is an antique", hey it works, why replace it? but the new ones changes so much it takes me months to figure out all the new hieroglyphics they call "icons".

One of my daughters has always wanted a first gen Miata. We had considered getting one and restoring it for her, but I hate taking all the effot to see it get beat up. Not sure that would be safe to drive with all teh big SUVs and other monsters on the reads these days anyway. Everytime we discussed it, she considers a Miata not practical since it does not have enough room. Certainly not for her current job(s) (like more collage grads, she had three "jobs"). She makes over $30/hr delivering groceries for shut-ins, and people that do not like to shop (most big cities include local delivery for groceries, she picks up the orders and takes them to the home), and is considering Uber or Lyft, and also part time manages an Airbnb. Miata not very practical. I would hate to see what kind of road rash a nicely restored Miata would get in big city traffic.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I can see how you would get the impression that the younger generation doesn’t appreciate older cars or fixing and maintaining a car. However every week my students mention to me how cool they think my car is and offer to buy it from me. It typically will spark a conversation about what car they are currently fixing up and what car they would like to have someday to restore. So I think there is still and likely always will be a culture of car enthusiasts in every generation. Cars still are the symbol of freedom to every teenager who gets their drivers license. While it may be true that my nephew may not end up charishing this car as much as I do or as much as wish he would, it remains a symbol of freedom that I want to give him without expectation. His dad (my brother) died of cancer many years ago. I need to make sure he is being welcomed into his manhood and getting the opportunity to be responsible, make mistakes and face the consequences.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Transmission is back together and will be going in soon.
s7OYQT3.jpg
I spent the weekend swapping out the flasher relay to a load independent version from superbrightleds.com. I also tore the dash apart and replaced the heater core and installed the under dash A/C components. What a job that was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ helipilot77 on "kids":
Well-written, sir!
Tom
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:45 am @ helipilot77 on "kids":
Well-written, sir!
Tom
Well thank you sir.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

So I have bought the Redline oil for this trans. I don’t know what else to do since they are so many conflicting opinions about hypoid gears and brass synchros being lubricated by the same oil in our transmissions.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

factory recommendation for gear oil hold up well if you follow oil change interval. I have put one quart syntheic gear lube with the rest being conventional with good results, or you can go 50/50. with that combo it likely will last indefinitely, I have almost 400,000 miles on my trans, using the 4wd daily, still shifts fine and is quiet in all gears.

I have not had good luck with 100 percent synthetic in these old trans, and it costs a lot more too.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Sounds good. Is there a particular brand and weight of conventional gear lube that you could recommend?
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have used Valvoline, but have found that the "Stay Lube" brand is available off the shelf in GL-4 (recommended for our trans) from NAPA parts stores, along with the synthetic MTF. Most stores only carry GL-5 in stock, which supposedly causes erosion of the syncros.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Well the transmission is all back together and installed and is shifting like a dream. When we pulled the old transmission out we saw why 5th gear wasn’t working.
AfGUyEC.jpg
6Xa8WgF.jpg
Until today I had never driven this car with a functioning fifth gear. It sure does make freeway driving more enjoyable. I’m gonna run some Valvoline 75w90 oil in it for a week then change it out to a Redline/Valvoline mix in a week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the old transmission is good for parts, save it for forum member Xirdneh
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

for the finishing touch to the transmission rebuild I restored the shifter knob.
IMG_5738.jpg
IMG_5741.jpg
IMG_5743.jpg
IMG_5744.jpg
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Petros wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:01 pm the old transmission is good for parts, save it for forum member Xirdneh
Yeah I already gave him the usable fifth gear that came out of the transmission we just put in the car. With that fifth gear and this transmission he could have another gear box put together in no time. I also saved all of the bearings and synchros for him Incase he needs them in another gearbox. They really weren’t bad and the synchros in the gearbox were fine. I might also have my dad turn another one of those fifth gear spacers that he had made. If this transmission had had one of those spacers it wouldn’t have eaten fifth gear.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]