new to tercel in the north coast

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
terastoria
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: new to tercel in the north coast

Post by terastoria »

for starters it's the carb spacer gaskets. i'll get those and the vac lines changed out and go from there.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

the gas gage doesn't work, is there a common fix to this such as a tank float or misconnected wire or do i just swap in a new cluster?
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

i read that post, went to go take out the fuel sender and three of five screws stripped.
upon closer inspection it was a farm car used for hay and dogs and what not and requires a deeper pocket than mine to be able to fix to how i'd like it done. so at this point i'm going to just fix it to running and drive it around for awhile and see what happens. i might put it up for sale come tax time and get a different car but we'll see when that comes around.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

clean out the philips screw heads really well, soak the screws in penetraiting oil, and use a new screw driver that fits properly. Tap the back of the screw driver with a hammer a few times, (or use an impact screw driver), put all your weight on the screw driver and turn it. you should be able to get the screws out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

well i finally figured out what was causing the carb to leak air under it. i put the stupid emission plate on under the carb which duh is wrong.

i then drove it to my dad's to do a compression and timing check only to find that my #2 cylinder was dead. started it with the rad cap off and shot water everywhere, ends up a blown head gasket was to blame. so we tore it down today and ordered the parts they'll be here tuesday and hopefully i'll be back on the road until my tags expire on the 21st lol.

terastoria

Post by terastoria »

well headgasket from autozone was canceled but was able to get one today from oreilly's for $1 more but i had it today. everything went back smoothly and discovered the o-ring on the water neck was leaking, so that's being replaced and my dad said he'd cut a new gasket while he's at work tomorrow.

we also discovered why cylinder 2 was showing no compression, the valve was too tight, got that loosened up and it runs so good now. It's still a little rough but we haven't messed with the timing at all yet.

i might actually keep this one around a bit after this amount of work. i still need a new belt for my alternator, but next on the list is brakes, then inner tie rod end, and always trying to find the source of the leak.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

terastoria wrote: i still need a new belt for my alternator,
If yours is a non-AC, I have a new belt for free, save for postage from STL to OR, perhaps $4.00 max.
I goofed on a part number a few years ago.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

that would be pretty sweet. it does not have ac
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

so i got everything back together and it runs smoother and more power. yet after awhile and when i put the clutch in to come to a stop sometimes it dies. i'm not sure what this may be, my dad was thinking it's possibly the clutch not fully disengaging? anyone else experience this?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

did you do anything to the clutch when you did the head gasket? if not, i doubt that's it. probably a misrouted vacuum hose or big leak, or the idle is too low, or the throttle positioner needs to be adjusted.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

we didn't do anything to the clutch, it was doing it before too.
it might be the throttle positioner.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

terastoria wrote:that would be pretty sweet. it does not have ac
Sennd me a PM with your address.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

i've tracked the leak back to the windshield, does anyone have any source for a weather seal for an 84 sr5?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

if you're on a tight budget and the car is not mint to start with, you might try sealing the windshield yourself with silicone sealant from a hardware store. a PO had done this on a tercel i bought a few years ago and i was surprised to see it had actually worked. very cheap and easy, and can be done cleanly if you're careful. just apply it between the body and windshield trim, and between the windshield and windshield trim. or remove the trim and put it under there but i've had bad luck with reattaching the windshield trim.

that's my white trash solution, anyway.