new to tercel in the north coast

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
terastoria
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: new to tercel in the north coast

Post by terastoria »

and a very merry Christmas to you and yours as well. :)
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

here's my green goblin

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

wow, looks like a steel for $400! great find.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

It has some issues but for a 31yr old $400 car it's decent.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

it turns out i didn't find and fix the water leak into the cabin, i'm totally stumped as to where it may be coming in from as nothing under the dash was/is wet the cowl drain, drains properly the door seals seem to be in good condition.
it is possible that it's leaking from where they mounted the roof rack as it's just bolted through the roof and headliner, but it's not wet anywhere up high it's only on the floor... any suggestions or ideas of where to check?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

the roof racks sound like a likely culprit. try removing the screws and liberally coating them with marine sealant before reinstalling them.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Had similar problems with two Tercs a few years back. Water would accumulate on the pass. side floor. When I hosed down the windshield area, I could see water dripping from the glovebox area near the firewall. I removed the wipers, cowl panel below the wipers and traced the problem to water intrusion between the mounting clips on the lower windshield moulding and the body. I removed the screws, popped the clips out of the body, put a small amount of strip caulk in the holes, and re-installed the clips and screws. I had a couple screws that didn't snug up, so I found some slightly bigger ones that would. Problem solved.

BTW- both cars had replacement windshields (imagine that!) Hope this helps!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

On my old hatchback, there were rusted holes at the top of the wheel wells. Whenever I drove, water would get flung up by the wheels and soak the carpet. Of course, if yours gets wet when you're not driving, that wouldn't be it.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

wouldn't the windshield leaking cause the dash to be wet as well? i'll try and look at the roof rack tomorrow and see if that's it. it would be my guess as well but it's not wet anywhere but the floorboards, wouldn't it make sense that the headliner would be wet as well?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

often when the window seal leaks it runs down the fire wall and soaks the carpet. pull back the carpet to expose bare metal, and hose the windowsill down. look for droplets on the bare metal on the firewall. Also inspect around the fan inlet, if for some reason water is going into the blower box from under the grill (in front of the windshield on the passenger side), it will leak out of the blower box.

Also, you can try this trick, usually works. Tape up the outlet vents under the rear hatch, close all the windows and put the blower on high with outside air. this will pressurize the inside of the car slightly. Use a spray bottle with soapy water and squirt it all around the windshield, door seals, and anywhere else moisture can get in. looks for bubbles forming at the leak. lift the hood and spray the firewall as well, faulty firewall seals can also allow moisture in since the tires can often splash water up on to the fire wall.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

terastoria wrote:wouldn't the windshield leaking cause the dash to be wet as well? i'll try and look at the roof rack tomorrow and see if that's it. it would be my guess as well but it's not wet anywhere but the floorboards, wouldn't it make sense that the headliner would be wet as well?
windshield leaks are rarely visible, in my experience. it usually gets in and then runs down the frame and body so you don't see it until it's on the floor.

same thing applies to the roof rack. there are lots of paths from the roof down to the floor. even if the water did drip on the headliner, it's actually quite hard so the water would probably run off it to either side, and then down one of the pillars.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

good to know, i will be trying all those things next week when i'm on vacation. my current task is to get the vacuum leak sealed up around the base of the carb, until the new one comes in the mail.
terastoria

Post by terastoria »

for those that have been looking for the insulator i believe i've found them from toyota.
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/sho ... odel=15454

it appears that the part number is 21901. so far this site is the only place i have been able to find them they're $26 usd though.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

21901 is the sheet metal heat shield (they call it an insulator) are you sure that is what you want? Hard to imagine that would crack and cause a vacuum leak. The heating element insulator is 21913, either $40, or $57 (do not know the difference).

Do not spend that much, I am sure I have one of those, a used one, in a box somewhere, I just have to find it. I am sure there are others on the forum that have extra heated insulators as well.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

Actually it appears that 21901 in that diagram is indeed the heater insulator.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"