My 85 hatchback Tercel "Teri"

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Travelswithteri
My tercel:: 1985 Hatchback

My 85 hatchback Tercel "Teri"

Post by Travelswithteri »

I've been traveling around the US in this for the last 3 years. Working on various farms, pursuing some crazy dreams.
Arkansas to the coasts of California, up to Maine and Massachussets, down to Texas, up to Wisconsin and back to New Hampshire. Hit all 3 coasts and the great lakes! Many smiles and wtf's from onlookers.

Very reliable car, loves to be driven, but we'll she how she fares in the New Hampshire winter.

Of course there's always something. I've gutted it out a bit and taken apart just about everything I can, trying to learn how to fix autos.

Maybe you can help me diagnose this easy problem. Blower motor stopped working. I had starter troubles and basically turned all lights plus heat to jump start it. The air was blowing for five minutes then stopped. Blower relay not the problem, perhaps the resistor or the blower motor itself? I have a feeling it's a fuse...

Photo is this year by China Lake in Maine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: My 85 hatchback Tercel "Teri"

Post by irowiki »

Wait, you turned on the lights and the fan to jump start it? Doesn't make sense!

Probably not the resistor or the fan would blow on high all the time.

Check fuses first. Then open the glove box, switch the vents to recirc, and see if you see the motor moving at all.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Travelswithteri
My tercel:: 1985 Hatchback

Post by Travelswithteri »

At the moment I tried to crank it it wouldn't start. If I remember at the time, the terminals were corroded, and the starter was going out. Since I was in the middle of nowhere I just tried stuff, figuring the heater and lights would give it just enough juice?
It worked, but I've been without air for a while.
I believe the fuse is by the blower relay, I tried replacing (7.5 )

Other than that the AC turns on and runs just fine, the blower motor just doesn't work or something in between.

Ok will try that,yeah I doubt its the resistor too...
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The blower fuse is going to be much larger, 20-30 amps.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

turn the key to 'on' and the fan speed to anything other than off and the highest setting. remove the glove box and unplug the harness that goes to the resistors. use a volt meter to check for voltage there. if you are not getting voltage there, the problem is upstream and likely a fuse or relay. if you are getting voltage there, the motor is probably fried.

welcome to the forum!