Ace's '87 Tercel Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
fffutr
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 4WD

Ace's '87 Tercel Wagon

Post by fffutr »

Hi everyone, total Tercel noob here.

Just picked up this '87 Tercel Wagon for ISK 55.000 (ca. $400). It had an engine replacement 25k miles ago, and the new engine seems pretty willing and happy. The only fault I can find with it is the driver's side fender (found a replacement already), the hatch cardboard thingy, and the trunk carpeting. Oh and it needs new bushings for the shift linkage. Other than that, I think I found a nice, cheap 4x4 to run around in, up here in Iceland. I'm getting 24 mpg city, with the 4x4 constantly on, because we've had a bunch of unexpected snow these last days.

I got a decent set of 13" winter tread tires in the deal, and really like the look of the original steelies, but was wondering if I should throw 190/70 R14 LT's or AT's on there instead, what do you guys think?

I'm also shopping around for a cheap roof rack, I think it'll look cool and give me even more cargo space.

Anyway, so excited to be a member of the Tercel family. Show me yours!

I'll throw up some better daytime photos soon =)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Ace's '87 Tercel Wagon

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome!
We've had several other members from Iceland over the years, but none have been active for a couple of years.
Go to the Search feature and enter your country - perhaps you can glean some info about them and their location.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Kwaiin
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1987 White 4wd 6 speed

Post by Kwaiin »

Welcome welcome!

I too have an '87, as far as your "hatch cardboard thing" (im assuming cargo cover) I actually just rebuilt one out of plywood. You could use a lighter weight material but as long as you can trace a pattern and take some measurements its quite easy to do!

ill post some recent pictures of mine soon. Been driving more than taking pictures haha.
fffutr

Post by fffutr »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Welcome!
We've had several other members from Iceland over the years, but none have been active for a couple of years.
Go to the Search feature and enter your country - perhaps you can glean some info about them and their location.
Tom M.
Worth a shot, thanks =)
fffutr

Post by fffutr »

Kwaiin wrote:Welcome welcome!

I too have an '87, as far as your "hatch cardboard thing" (im assuming cargo cover) I actually just rebuilt one out of plywood. You could use a lighter weight material but as long as you can trace a pattern and take some measurements its quite easy to do!
Yeah, I saw some guy on youtube do that... and maybe you, here on the forums? I'll probably try to do it in fiberglass and reuse the original pegs and such, if I can't find a replacement one. Thanks =)
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

fffutr wrote:
Kwaiin wrote:Welcome welcome!

Yeah, I saw some guy on youtube do that... and maybe you, here on the forums? I'll probably try to do it in fiberglass and reuse the original pegs and such, if I can't find a replacement one. Thanks =)
http://imgur.com/a/EKarh This is my album of some pictures i took while doing it. (view it on imgur if youd like, not all the photos are coming up on the site)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10681&p=79223&hilit ... ent#p79223 Heres a link to a post where a user made a pattern if you cant trace yours as I did.
fffutr

Post by fffutr »

Looks pretty good, Kwaiin! I actually dig the burlap texture, it meshes nice with the interior. My interior is black/grey so unfortunately I won't be able to copy that cheap fix =)

My cargo cover panel is actually in a somewhat decent shape, I think I might get away with re-carpeting it on the cheap.

So me and the Tercel got into it today, we're having the biggest snowstorm for this time of year since 1983 (that's saying something for a country called Iceland), and damn thing wouldn't start. The whole engine bay was soaked in water and it didn't spark. So I took the battery out, and charged it inside the house while trying to dry out the engine bay with a heater/blower, in the middle of a blizzard. I eventually got it running like 5 hours later and went out and had some fun in the snow. I wish I had taken some photos of the horrible conditions, but I was too busy cursing my life :p
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

fffutr wrote:Looks pretty good, Kwaiin! I actually dig the burlap texture, it meshes nice with the interior. My interior is black/grey so unfortunately I won't be able to copy that cheap fix =)

My cargo cover panel is actually in a somewhat decent shape, I think I might get away with re-carpeting it on the cheap.

So me and the Tercel got into it today, we're having the biggest snowstorm for this time of year since 1983 (that's saying something for a country called Iceland), and damn thing wouldn't start. The whole engine bay was soaked in water and it didn't spark. So I took the battery out, and charged it inside the house while trying to dry out the engine bay with a heater/blower, in the middle of a blizzard. I eventually got it running like 5 hours later and went out and had some fun in the snow. I wish I had taken some photos of the horrible conditions, but I was too busy cursing my life :p
I have a black and grey interior too haha. I could have gotten black burlap, but I like the color of regular burlap. If you can recarpet it definitely try that first.

Im jealous of you! Here in Upstate New York we should have had snow by now! We have only got rain :( guess im just going to have to play in the mud for now :D