Greetings from Greenland!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Belen
My tercel:: Tercer 4WD 1988

Greetings from Greenland!

Post by Belen »

Hello, my name is Belén and I live in Nuuk, Greenland. I have recently purchased a 1988 Tercel 4WD.

I have a slight disability which makes it hard to walk long distances, especially during the long subarctic winterwhen the ground is so slippery. This Tercel was the only four-wheel-drive car I could afford.

It runs smoothly but it looks like it has had a few minor crashes and has never been painted. Getting it painted professionally does not seem like an option (it would be more expensive than the car itself).

I have agreed with my husband that we are going to repair the car ourselves as best as we can. We are very excited and it was great to find this forum!

This is out car:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Greetings from Greenland!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome!
We have many very talented and helpful members here, as well as a storehouse of information already available in these Forums.
Be sure to download the FSM (Factory Service Manual). It is an '85, but save for some minor grille/headlamp differences, it is all you will need.
I see you have the non-North America front bumper, so coveted by us here, who have the "chinless bumpers!"
Are/were there many T4WD's in Greenland?
One of our members found this photo of the airport at Nuuk 6 1/2 years ago, with a topaz T4WD in the foreground.
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3893162.jpg
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

welcome, belen. you might be the first member here from greenland. we have a few scattered throughout norway, sweden, and finland, but none on your island that i can remember.

does greenland use salt on its roads? if so, you are lucky that your tercel has survived this long. it looks remarkably rust free in the pic you posted.

what repairs does the car need? i'm sure we can help you with them. also, be sure to read the FAQ:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
Belen

Post by Belen »

Hi again and thanks for the welcome!

Yes, that is our local airport :-) I am not originally from Greenland myself, and I was extremely surprised at the huge number of Tercels here. You can drive around Nuuk and see many, including the occasional unclaimed ones.

The rear hatch hatch and bumper are damaged. Unfortunately, all the unclaimed Tercels we have seen have no good rear hatch and/or bumper. We are visiting my husband's hometown in North Greenland for the New Year holidays. His friend has two bodies (or parts of them), so I am considering buying them from him, and shipping the parts I need as sea cargo.

And no, Greenland does not use salt but gravel, so I'm very lucky :-)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

it may be different in europe but here in north america, some of the electrical plugs for things like the rear window wiper motor changed from 1984-1985. so if you get a hatch from a pre-1985 tercel, you may need to swap the plugs or the entire motor (if your old one still works).
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum!

Never had anyone from Greenland join the forum, that is really great. You have come to the right place for information and help to keep your Tercel4wd on the road! Glad to have you.

You are going to have to post some picture of you and your Tercel in some Greenland landscapes as you travel around your area, that would be a great addition to the forum gallery. I am sure there are not many forum members that will ever get to see Greenland.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Belen

Post by Belen »

Tomorrow we are going to drive around to look for more unclaimed Tercels :-)

Unfortunately, there are no inter-city roads in Greenland, but I will make sure to take nice pictures as soon as I can.