New Member with newly acquired 1987 Tercel!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: New Member with newly acquired 1987 Tercel!

Post by irowiki »

I think he or someone else swapped that cluster in.

The rear wiper was also an option on the SR5 trim! We've seen quite a few SR5 wagons down here without a rear wiper (where it doesn't rain much sometimes?)

My recently sold SR5 87 did not have remote fuel filler or hatch releases, I thought that was RHD only?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

[quote="irowiki"

My recently sold SR5 87 did not have remote fuel filler or hatch releases, I thought that was RHD only?[/quote]

i think paul's right. never seen those on any tercs here.
Kwaiin wrote: Thanks! I actually didnt use a hinge! Its 2 pieces still. Not sure if i will put a hinge or if ill leave them separate so i can do like a "half cover/shelf" kind of thing.
the cargo cover in the 4wd corollas is a 2-piece design, like yours. i like it.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

irowiki wrote:I think he or someone else swapped that cluster in.
The rear wiper was also an option on the SR5 trim! We've seen quite a few SR5 wagons down here without a rear wiper (where it doesn't rain much sometimes?)
Interesting - according to the '87 Dealer Brochure, the rear wiper combo was standard on the SR5 and optional on the DLX (same as in '86).
irowiki wrote:My recently sold SR5 87 did not have remote fuel filler or hatch releases, I thought that was RHD only?
I thought so, too - but that is what the brochure states. Come to think of it, I do not think anyone here in North America has ever mentioned having those two features! Maybe Toy got the specs mixed up on the brochure? Perhaps it considered adding those to the '87-8 Wagons destined for NA, but later figured "Why? we've gotten along just fine without them for NA. Naaah..." And then forgot/neglected to change the brochure.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Kwaiin
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1987 White 4wd 6 speed

Post by Kwaiin »

No remote releases for fuel or hatch here. That's what was puzzling though. It seems to have features of both models. Did the dlx come with rear speakers? Cause I have those too. I did not swap gauge clusters. So if that's the case looks like I have unknown mileage on this thing haha.

I'm also having trouble searching for the part number for a replacement seal for the extension housing where the rear drive shaft goes in. Any help? Mine drips a little but it's a simple fix so I want to do it.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Kwaiin wrote:No remote releases for fuel or hatch here. That's what was puzzling though. It seems to have features of both models. Did the dlx come with rear speakers? Cause I have those too. I did not swap gauge clusters. So if that's the case looks like I have unknown mileage on this thing haha.
Again, from the Brochure for '87's, the 4 speaker setup was optional on DLX's.
Kwaiin wrote:I'm also having trouble searching for the part number for a replacement seal for the extension housing where the rear drive shaft goes in. Any help? Mine drips a little but it's a simple fix so I want to do it.
1. Part number: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6446 However, despite what I wrote back in 2011, I have a suspicion the seal is still available - but not all Toy dealers are interested in doing some digging, sadly... If it means going to Japan - you'll need it.
2. Lots of pix from dlb and gmeddy: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6388&hilit=seal
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I'm sure somebody swapped the cluster then unless the dealer upgraded it.

My 87 fwd dlx has rear speakers and rear wipers but no tach.

Tom: the earlier models esp 83 and 84 had optional rear wipers on all trims
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

ARCHINSTL wrote:
Kwaiin wrote:No remote releases for fuel or hatch here. That's what was puzzling though. It seems to have features of both models. Did the dlx come with rear speakers? Cause I have those too. I did not swap gauge clusters. So if that's the case looks like I have unknown mileage on this thing haha.
Again, from the Brochure for '87's, the 4 speaker setup was optional on DLX's.
Kwaiin wrote:I'm also having trouble searching for the part number for a replacement seal for the extension housing where the rear drive shaft goes in. Any help? Mine drips a little but it's a simple fix so I want to do it.
1. Part number: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6446 However, despite what I wrote back in 2011, I have a suspicion the seal is still available - but not all Toy dealers are interested in doing some digging, sadly... If it means going to Japan - you'll need it.
2. Lots of pix from dlb and gmeddy: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6388&hilit=seal

After some research i cross referenced a few part numbers that i THINK are the same seals from different brands. Going to get one at my local auto parts store and see if it works.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

irowiki wrote:Tom: the earlier models esp 83 and 84 had optional rear wipers on all trims
'83-4-5 versions of both trims had the rear wiper/washer optional. It was not claimed that either were standard for those years.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

ARCHINSTL wrote:
irowiki wrote:Tom: the earlier models esp 83 and 84 had optional rear wipers on all trims
'83-4-5 versions of both trims had the rear wiper/washer optional. It was not claimed that either were standard for those years.
Tom M.

It's interesting because I've seen far more 83-85's WITH rear wipers than without (either trim) except down here in NM where we see more without the wiper.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

irowiki wrote:
ARCHINSTL wrote:
Tom M.
It's interesting because I've seen far more 83-85's WITH rear wipers than without (either trim) except down here in NM where we see more without the wiper.
Maybe more dealers in "wetter" areas just automatically ordered the cars with the wipers and dealers in "dryer" areas just did not bother, to save a few bucks?
My then-new '83 came with the wiper option, but I'd swear I did not pop for anything "optional," whether AC or radio upgrade. As to other options - I just do not remember if it had PS (I was a lot stronger then...).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

T4 is on the road and well! I'm amazed at how well this runs and drives. I just took it on a 2 hour round trip for thanksgiving and had 0 issues. Just need to give it a good wash. Sitting under a tree for a year and a half doesn't help lol. But I think I have a broken rear sway bar bolt on the drivers side. Need to look into it. Other then that no complaints! I love it.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Glad to see all worked out for you. As for the wash job (I'm probably gonna get flamed for this) you should do what I call a "Comet-bath." Wash it with scouring powder and water. The scouring powder has bleach which will remove mold/mildew and a mild abrasive which will remove some oxidation (and ALL wax-not that there is any!) A good wax job should follow.

Good Luck.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

rer233 wrote:Glad to see all worked out for you. As for the wash job (I'm probably gonna get flamed for this) you should do what I call a "Comet-bath." Wash it with scouring powder and water. The scouring powder has bleach which will remove mold/mildew and a mild abrasive which will remove some oxidation (and ALL wax-not that there is any!) A good wax job should follow.

Good Luck.

ill have to give this a shot possibly. She definitely needs a very good scrubbing.
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

http://imgur.com/Z6vE7bn http://imgur.com/horScDP http://imgur.com/fgnt8at http://imgur.com/fgnt8at

Here is my finished cover by the way, bought a few yards of burlap from walmart and voila. The album wasnt working right so theres the individual pictures.

Things ive noticed:
- Given the colder weather coming, Im being very gentle with the trans until the fluid warms up, doesnt like going into second too much when cold.
- I have a broken rear sway bar end link
- I need spark plugs, and a carb cleaning
- I love driving it everywhere
- Its quite the.. uhh.. "powerhouse" :D
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Try double clutching into second when cold.

When you replace the spark plugs, replace the plug wires, the distributor cap, and the rotor.

If by "powerhouse" you mean "no power" there's a reason our first wagon got named Pokey :lol:

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k