New Member with newly acquired 1987 Tercel!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Kwaiin
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1987 White 4wd 6 speed

Re: New Member with newly acquired 1987 Tercel!

Post by Kwaiin »

irowiki wrote:Try double clutching into second when cold.

When you replace the spark plugs, replace the plug wires, the distributor cap, and the rotor.

If by "powerhouse" you mean "no power" there's a reason our first wagon got named Pokey :lol:

That's what I've been doing and it helps. I've done plug wires already too. Getting to things slowly one by one.

But yes I mean no power lol, it's nice sometimes though. I just laugh when people speed by me
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

So, speaking of "not so powerhouse", a buddy of mine came upon a 3sgte motor in a gen 2 MR2 at a local parts yard. Anyone have info on if the 3s can bolt up to the bell housing on these? A turbo 4wd tercel would be a fun project.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Nope, that's the S series engine, and we have the A series.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

irowiki wrote:Nope, that's the S series engine, and we have the A series.
I figured that was the case, well, there's still a parts turbo on it... :)
fffutr
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 4WD

Post by fffutr »

Kwaiin wrote:So, speaking of "not so powerhouse", a buddy of mine came upon a 3sgte motor in a gen 2 MR2 at a local parts yard. Anyone have info on if the 3s can bolt up to the bell housing on these? A turbo 4wd tercel would be a fun project.
I wish I could click like on that post!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am not familar with the s series, but I thought the tubo engine used the same short block and should bolt up. the 20 valve engine will bolt up, but there was a lot of custom parts to fabricate to make it fit. Likely it would be the same with the MR2 turbo engine, lot of custom parts to make, and likely some cutting and welding on the Tercel as well.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

Petros wrote:I am not familar with the s series, but I thought the tubo engine used the same short block and should bolt up. the 20 valve engine will bolt up, but there was a lot of custom parts to fabricate to make it fit. Likely it would be the same with the MR2 turbo engine, lot of custom parts to make, and likely some cutting and welding on the Tercel as well.

I guess i may have to go and get a good look at the bell housing/mounts to get a better idea myself if i considering doing something such as this. Would be awesome, given the motor in that mr2 isnt too abused. Definitely food for thought.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that is a fuel injected engine, so you will also want the ECM, wire harness, fuel pump, fuel lines/filter and all the sensors if that is what you want to do. Best to have a donor car with all the bits and pices to pull off, but you would not need an MR2 for all of that, an EFI corolla would supply those parts, you just need the MR2 engine.
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

Petros wrote:that is a fuel injected engine, so you will also want the ECM, wire harness, fuel pump, fuel lines/filter and all the sensors if that is what you want to do. Best to have a donor car with all the bits and pices to pull off, but you would not need an MR2 for all of that, an EFI corolla would supply those parts, you just need the MR2 engine.
Some more research seems to point to that it will fit, i just need to make new motor mounts. I could gather the other things i need and make what i cant get.

The car guy in me is having a hard time resisting the thoughts of a junkyard turbo T4wd
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I can't see the S engine bolting to an A bellhousing though.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

did the transmission change from the first gen MR2 to the 2nd gen MR2? If they are similar, than the bolt up for the engine should be the same, no matter what other changes they made to the engine.

keep in mind it is a MAJOR operation to make an engine not designed for that car to fit and work properly, there are a lot of details that have to be worked out and mostly custom parts made to fit. It would be a very cool engine swap, but it will be a lot of work and likely costly by the time you add up all of the parts and details that had to be accommodated. consider that you will likely have to custom make the oil pan and oil pickup to go with it, if you can do your own sheet metal welding and bending you can likely make one yourself for about 100 hours worth of effort.

It would be a swap worth seeing, but do not underestimate the amount of work it will be to accomplish. good luck.
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

Petros wrote:did the transmission change from the first gen MR2 to the 2nd gen MR2? If they are similar, than the bolt up for the engine should be the same, no matter what other changes they made to the engine.

keep in mind it is a MAJOR operation to make an engine not designed for that car to fit and work properly, there are a lot of details that have to be worked out and mostly custom parts made to fit. It would be a very cool engine swap, but it will be a lot of work and likely costly by the time you add up all of the parts and details that had to be accommodated. consider that you will likely have to custom make the oil pan and oil pickup to go with it, if you can do your own sheet metal welding and bending you can likely make one yourself for about 100 hours worth of effort.

It would be a swap worth seeing, but do not underestimate the amount of work it will be to accomplish. good luck.

thank you. i will post/update if i decide to go through with it. Im going to go check it out, see what i would have to do and what i can get. I have some friends that are very good fabricators and one of them actually just finished putting a GM 3800 v6 with i believe a 67mm turbo into a volvo 240 sedan. Im willing to do the work if i think it is worth the outcome.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The transmission would have been changed going from A to S engines, especially considering it is a 3S and already been through 1S and 2S.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Kwaiin
Advanced Member

Post by Kwaiin »

irowiki wrote:The transmission would have been changed going from A to S engines, especially considering it is a 3S and already been through 1S and 2S.

well, if this is true, it saddens me.

but in the mean time heres some pictures of our first small off road experience together (like my pressure treated 4x4 rear bumper?)
http://imgur.com/a/E8zwi
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Let's put it this way, if it were possible, even remotely, to mate a S engine to an A bellhousing we would have heard of it or somebody would have done it by now.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k