Center Console Leather Upgrade

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Tershelly
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd 6 speed Wagon

Center Console Leather Upgrade

Post by Tershelly »

Hi All,

I recently posted a "New Member" thread that had some photos of my Tercel 4wd wagon ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11605 ) that included a shot of a little leather work I did. I was asked to post about it and and so thats what this thread is about.

First off, if anyone has a photo/photos of the OEM center console in good condition, I would love to see it. When I purchased my Tercel, the area below my E brake had a depression that seamed like it was missing an insert. I could be wrong and maybe it was like that from the begining but I thought it might be an interesting place for a leather insert.
1.jpg
This is the area that I'm referring to... sorry for the very dark photo
IMG_0490.jpg
And this is the insert I created for it.

here's how I made it...
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.44.51 PM.png
This is the logo I started with... I found it via a google search because I was at work and wasn't able to take a photo of my car's emblem.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.45.06 PM.png
I then traced it in Adobe Illustrator and adjusted the tercel to be a bit smaller and the 4 to be a bit bigger. I think its a bit more squared up this way and although its not an OEM logo, it felt nice this way.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.45.19 PM.png
I then measured the console as best I could using a caliper and kind of guessed at the radiused corners. I printed off a few different radiuses until i found one that matched.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.46.34 PM.png
I then used that line work to create a 3D shape that was roughly as thick as my leather and had a backing on it that I could use to press on.
IMG_0890.JPG
I printed this on a 3d printer but don't have any photos of the machine in action... i forgot to snap one.
IMG_0893.JPG
I then set up a little jig with a flat piece of wood, two clamps, print out of my logo's location on the pad, and a bit of Vaseline to use as a release agent.
IMG_0894.JPG
I then cut my leather down to about a half in bigger then I wanted and soaked it in warm water for 15 minutes. I cut it larger in case the logo warped the edges of the leather, It's always best to trim last if possible.
IMG_0895.JPG
I then used the template to help me aline the print face down in the leather.
IMG_0896.JPG
and lastly i added a bar to keep even pressure on the 3D print because it's plastic and I was worried that the c lamps would have uneven pressure it applied directly to the plastic.
IMG_0899.JPG
Lastly I applied an even amount of pressure to the set up with two c clamps and tried to eye the depression depth. you can also see in the background that I placed another flat piece of wood on top of the drying leather so that it would remain flat and not curl up.
IMG_0903.JPG
After about a day and a half I removed the clamps, trimmed the leather down to size and this is what I had. I then washed it, oiled it and polished it just like I would a pair of shoes to give it that nice worn in look
IMG_0487.jpg
Let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions, also I'm happy to share any of these files if you're interested.

Thanks for reading!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Center Console Leather Upgrade

Post by teranfirbt »

That's super cool!
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Post by melzy »

Dude will you be making any more up I'd buy one!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

nice work, the 3d printer makes it easy. many years ago I did some hand tooling on leather goods when I was in the Boy Scouts.

that shallow tray is intened to hold small items, like a storage tray. but I can tell you not much stay in place there when bounding around on gravel roads like I do. on the earlier models they had the 4wd decal there showing the shift leaver positions. You can get replicas from forum member DLB. I think they deleted it on the last year or two of production and put it on the inside of the glove box lid, or on the sun visor if I recall.

I have been contemplating making a glove leather boot for both shift levers, the original factory vinyl ones fall apart and look like rags after about 20 years. On a project car, an old classic volvo P1800 sports car I had restored when I was in collage, it had a torn up rubber accordion boot on the shift lever that was NLA. It already had black leather seats, so I made a nice black leather boot to replaced the cracked up rubber one. I happened to have some soft glove leather scraps, it was no problem to make. The buyer had looked at a lot of these cars before buying mine, he thought the glove leather boot was a nice touch.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tershelly
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd 6 speed Wagon

Post by Tershelly »

melzy wrote:Dude will you be making any more up I'd buy one!
Hand't planned on it but I would be happy to make you one. DM me and we can arrange something cheers!
Petros wrote:nice work, the 3d printer makes it easy. many years ago I did some hand tooling on leather goods when I was in the Boy Scouts.

that shallow tray is intened to hold small items, like a storage tray. but I can tell you not much stay in place there when bounding around on gravel roads like I do. on the earlier models they had the 4wd decal there showing the shift leaver positions. You can get replicas from forum member DLB. I think they deleted it on the last year or two of production and put it on the inside of the glove box lid, or on the sun visor if I recall.

I have been contemplating making a glove leather boot for both shift levers, the original factory vinyl ones fall apart and look like rags after about 20 years. On a project car, an old classic volvo P1800 sports car I had restored when I was in collage, it had a torn up rubber accordion boot on the shift lever that was NLA. It already had black leather seats, so I made a nice black leather boot to replaced the cracked up rubber one. I happened to have some soft glove leather scraps, it was no problem to make. The buyer had looked at a lot of these cars before buying mine, he thought the glove leather boot was a nice touch.
Cool, I'll contact DLB and see if he has some images he can share.

I think the leather shifter boot upgrade would be great, my vinyl ones are super dilapidated. It would be really easy to remove them and get the pattern for new boots.

Thanks for looking at the thread.

Cheers!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i sold all of the shifter pattern stickers i had but another member here recently had a bunch printed. search for 'shift pattern stickers' and you should find the thread. the member with who has stickers now posted there recently.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OTOH...viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5074&hilit=boots
NOT dissing leather! :wink: :shock: :wink:
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Nice Work! That really gets the wheels turning, leather embossed shift pattern would be bad-ass!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Petros wrote:that shallow tray is intended to hold small items, like a storage tray. but I can tell you not much stay in place there when bounding around on gravel roads like I do.
I think it needs another 3/4" of wall to have any chance of holding anything besides a notepad. It's just a little too shallow for anything else, ever.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?