I have an alltrac... and Now I have a T4

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Killemalltrac
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel SR5 4WD

I have an alltrac... and Now I have a T4

Post by Killemalltrac »

I have spent a long time working and rebuilding my celica alltrac and now that it is almost done I decided to get going on a Tercel 4WD. I found one locally that had the axle stub break off on the highway and promptly bought it for 300 bucks. I ordered the new bearing, axle, seals, and all the tune up stuff right away and am slowly getting it cleaned and put back together. Here is a link to the photo gallery that I plan to keep updated. I'm glad to be a part of the forum and am glad to finally own one of my favorite childhood cars.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B07GDdyTvGhmIfk
Killemalltrac

Re: I have an alltrac... and Now I have a T4

Post by Killemalltrac »

Car is now driveable. It has a loud friction noise coming from somewhere so I havent done any more than move it to the front of my house. It washed up pretty nicely on the outside. Going to work on the interior this week and see about that sound. I think the ebrake might be stuck or maybe the rear end is dry. Dunno yet.. Added a few more pictures (after the wash) to my photo gallery.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Jack it up and roll the wheels?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Killemalltrac

Post by Killemalltrac »

I'm gunna try that tonight. It makes the most sense that it would be a bad bearing I think.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum and great way to save Tecel4wd.

rear wheel bearings can really roar and it is hard to localize the sound, and gives no other symptoms. easiest way to check is to jack up and remove the rear wheel, turn the drum by hand to see if you can feel the bearings as you turn it. it should be smooth, a bad bearing will be rough or feel like a file going over metal.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Killemalltrac

Post by Killemalltrac »

IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG
Ordered the rear wheel bearings. They were on clearance on rockauto! 10 bucks a piece! So will be tackling that this weekend. until then here are the cleaned up exterior pics. Came out ok for the price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

very nice looking Tercel.

did you verify the rear wheel bearings are bad? because it does not affect the drivablity of the car, and the noise starts low and slowly gets louder, owners often do not notice and just keep driving on a bad bearing. typically with the rear, there are no other symptoms, no drivablity issues, or anything else noticeable when rear bearings go bad. If it was let go long enough the bearings would completely disintegrate and put metal shavings all inside the axle housing. I have never seen it go that bad however, the noise gets so loud most people, even clueless drivers, know something is wrong and are afraid to drive it.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Doing the rear bearings, be sure to check out these links - esp. Petros' text on the blocked axle housing flanges (2nd link) and my photos of it (3rd link).
Marvelous video by xirdneh: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10503&hilit=rear
Petros': viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2878&p=22409&hilit=+brake#p22409
Mine: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5784&p=42555&hilit=bearing#p42555
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Killemalltrac

Post by Killemalltrac »

Petros wrote:very nice looking Tercel.

did you verify the rear wheel bearings are bad? because it does not affect the drivablity of the car, and the noise starts low and slowly gets louder, owners often do not notice and just keep driving on a bad bearing. typically with the rear, there are no other symptoms, no drivablity issues, or anything else noticeable when rear bearings go bad. If it was let go long enough the bearings would completely disintegrate and put metal shavings all inside the axle housing. I have never seen it go that bad however, the noise gets so loud most people, even clueless drivers, know something is wrong and are afraid to drive it.
I jacked up the rear and when turning the drivers side wheel it is chunky and seems to get friction at one part of the rotation. Almost like a bicycle with a bent rim making contact with the brake pad. I would have ordered the bearings either way because of the price and I figure I will do them just in case. I still need to order the gaskets and retainers it looks like. I didnt realize they were also needed for the job.
ARCHINSTL wrote:Doing the rear bearings, be sure to check out these links - esp. Petros' text on the blocked axle housing flanges (2nd link) and my photos of it (3ed link).
Marvelous video by xirdneh: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10503&hilit=rear
Petros': viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2878&p=22409&hilit=+brake#p22409
Mine: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5784&p=42555&hilit=bearing#p42555
Tom M.
Those links have been my main resource. the video Xirdneh made for the front is what I followed when I did that. Now his rear bearing video is bookmarked on my computer so I can review it a few more times before I start the job. I cant wait to be driving this thing around!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have left the old seals in place when I did the rear axles, this is okay if they are in good condition (soft and with a sharp sealing edge). I have also inadvertently damaged this seal when replacing an axle, so be careful that you support the axle as you withdraw it, that it does not drag over the seal which is just inboard of the bearing. It will leak gear oil from the axle housing past the bearing all over the rear brakes, so if it is bad, replace the rear axle seal. Normally this is not necessary if you withdraw and insert the axle carefully, but it can get damaged and it should be replaced if it does.

you can get by without the gaskets, use sealant instead.