Introduction

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mason
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD Wagon

Introduction

Post by Mason »

I guess an intro is in order...

I've been lurking a while, first quite a while ago for a friends son, who has an 84 T4, that I was helping with some front end repairs and wanted to know more about them. About a month ago I bought an 85 from the original owner, it spent a lot of its 130k miles behind a motorhome. Bought it without being able to start it or move it in any way and the 'noisy throw out bearing' was of course an input shaft bearing. It passed the tail light guarantee under its own power (about 400 feet) and I towed it with a strap the remaining 32 miles with my 94 toyota pickup. Pulled the transmission and brought it and two more (it came with an unknown condition spare and I had access to another unknown) to a transmission shop to see about making one whole. While waiting to hear about that I've been reading a lot more here and tinker on a few things now and then.

I've been a member of other lists in the past, I like this one quite a lot. Kudos, thanks for the good reading so far and, in advance for what I may need.

-Josh
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Introduction

Post by Gottolovem »

Welcome

I'm Intrested to hear what the tranny shop does
Mason

Post by Mason »

Thanks. He has rebuilt A couple in recent history that I know of, and lots of them years ago when they were more plentiful. He's buried in work right now but should know soon what it looks like in there.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Sounds like your in good hands
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum Josh,

where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

Greetings and salutations
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Mason

Post by Mason »

Thanks guys. Petros, I am in Fairbanks Alaska.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

there are a few other forum members up in alaska and the yukon. you guys should have a northern contingent meetup.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

all of the main bearings and seals for the trans are still available, unfortunately new sycros no longer exist. hopefully between the three trans you have, you might get one set of good syncros. keep the leftover parts if they are usable, all may become valuable for parts to fix the remaining trans out there. I think I bought the last T4wd trans kit available in North American a few years ago, and not cheap at $550.
Mason

Post by Mason »

Yikes. Been a while...
I wanted to update you all on the car, it's a short story anyway. I was super busy this fall/winter and the transmission went way to the back of the line to get repaired since I didn't have the time to mess with it. I think it was early January when I got it back and slammed it into the car. Everything seemed to work as it should, I was just so happy to have the thing off the blocks and out of my way in the driveway. I didn't even ask the transmission guy what he changed besides the input shaft bearing and all new seals. :oops: Based on the cost of repair, I'd say not much. It has a slight coolant leak or two from the pipes off the water pump and that seems to be about it. I flushed the coolant about five times and spent way too much money on 6 quarts of synthetic gear oil and called it macaroni. It runs really nice and I think it shifts okay but to be honest, I've never run one of these before so I just don't know...and I don't want to. I drove it across town, about 12 miles or so, and parked it after the repairs. I didn't want to buy snow tires for it, I have my truck to drive and I don't have the time to worry with any little things that may or may not happen with a new to me 30 year old car. I must be a touch wiser these days, being kind to my future self. Fixing cars on the side of the road at -20 or colder is something I will choose to avoid, now and forever more.

So anyway, I'm going to sell it next week. Most of you are pretty far away but I'll post a link to the ad in case it's a viable option for anyone. It's been nice to read discussions here and be part of one or two. Enthusiasts are my kind of people.

-Josh
Mason

Post by Mason »

Since I decided to 'give' myself a few days off after an injury at work, I figured I'd take a look at the Tercel and see how the old girl made out sitting alone all winter. Between the few things she needs for me to feel comfortable selling and the time I've spent the last two evening readings posts here, I just may have to drive it around a bit and give it a real go. Nothing like some quality wrench time to make or break a relationship :)

The crossover tube from the head to the water pump has a pretty steady leak that really needs to be addressed first. The tires were old but in fair shape when I picked it up last august but have spent far too many years without rolling and really need to be changed. So...what else does a person do, but buy an entire wrecked subaru wagon that has new tires on it? Way less hassle, time and money than buying new tires :lol: So I'll fix the leak and tires and give it a wash (the weather is warm enough during the 'heat' of the day for that now) and tool around a bit before deciding. I've always liked the mechanical work and never the body work so whenever I get a car I like it to be a good specimen. It's not perfect but it is pretty nice. A few dents never bothered me too much, it's the rust!
tercel.jpg
tercel1.jpg
tercel2.jpg
tercel3.jpg
tercel4.jpg
tercel5.jpg
tercel6.jpg
tercel7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

it is amazing the condition of that car after surviving all those winters in AK. not a bad looking T4wd, particularly consider the conditions it has lived in for the last 32 years.

I have determined to keep fixing mine for the rest of my life, presuming I can still get parts for it. It serves me perfectly well, and easy and cheap to keep running.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mason wrote: A few dents never bothered me too much, it's the rust!
Where is the rust? Your pix certainly look good! You even have a luggage cover! :shock:
Petros wrote:I have determined to keep fixing mine for the rest of my life, presuming I can still get parts for it. It serves me perfectly well, and easy and cheap to keep running.
WHAT HE WROTE!
My HS/Collitch buds laugh at me, but I have the car until I croak!
Of course, driving only 3-4K miles per year (and split between the '88 Dodge/Mitsu POS p'up) in retirement helps...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mason

Post by Mason »

The tercel doesn't have any cancer, just small areas of surface rust where dents or gravel has opened up the paint. I meant with any car I buy, I don't mind dents but stay away from rust. I can fix anything mechanically but have yet to find the patience for body work.

It still has the factory floor mats and I don't think the full spare has seen daylight. I took the sheepskin seat covers off that I'm pretty sure had been there for 25 years. It was a one owner,mostly summer and towed behind an RV car.