midwest tercel 84 4wd

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
razorrichter
My tercel:: 1984 SR5

midwest tercel 84 4wd

Post by razorrichter »

greetings (please excuse my grammar/spelling)
there was a previous post on here someone was asking about the car and its worth… well i snatched it up so sorry to the guy that was looking
the PO was elbow deep into the thing and broke off the fuel pump bolt any way heads off now and i have a gasket kit timing belt and electric fuel pump on the way i have a lot of plans for this thing and am going to have fun i want to make it happy and snow/mud ready
my first car was a 2wd tercel and i molested that thing…. if i could do it all over again id still have her link of what i did.. :(
http://www.rat-look.com/forum/viewtopic ... ota+tercel

but now i have a second chance with a 4wd and I'm excited i want to fix the rust and make her shine! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: midwest tercel 84 4wd

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome...
Where in the Midwest are you located?
tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

that broken bolt should not be too bad, get the end out by soaking it in ATF or other penetrating oil, and than tap it around backwards so it unscrews with small center punch off center so it back out. clean it up and I would not worry to much about the drilled out holes, these bolts do not get too much torque (like 12 ft-lbs), there is a plastic insualtor that can not take too much pressure. The sealing surface is still good between the bolt the opening. put a lot sealant on it. should seal up fine.

These cars are starting to get some collector value, so do not over do the art-car effect on the 4wd Tercel, make it nice and it will gain in value.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

thanks petros "These cars are starting to get some collector value, so do not over do the art-car effect on the 4wd Tercel, make it nice and it will gain in value."
i had my fun with my 2wd i was 16 and didn't know what i was doing i wanna do a resto mod with this one she is going to be pretty.
i am going to attempt to remove the bolt tonight and if i don't have any luck its the E pump for sure
the other thing I've been thinking about is wheel option for 14" upgraded suspension and important drivetrain upgrades but thats as the money flows

ARCHINSTL im in southwest iowa (SNOW and CORN)
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

couldn't get the broken bolt out so i just made a blocking plate
got the webber on now i just need to know what parts or the EMA baloney can be pulled i want to make it as clean under the hood as i can so the more i can remove the better I'm also pulling the AC
also I've been looking at the mod for using the original throttle arm but was curious what one was the best way of doing it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

You can pretty much pull it all. I left the charcoal canister in place as well as the pcv and breather system. I remember reading there is a way to keep the egr system with the weber but I didn't. If you don't, you need to replace the large banjo bolt of the egr tube with a solid bolt (m20x1.5) or remove the system entirely and make a block off plate (that's what I did, see photos below).

The stock bellcrank throttle can be modified to fit on either with a welder or bicycle brake bolt.

Welder:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5856

Bolt (Archinstl's system)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4497&p=33319&hilit= ... an+#p33319
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member

Post by Notmikeb »

Also, unless you are using the U-bracket to space the throttle arm out, you'll have to move your throttle cable stop towards the front of the car so the cable lines up properly. See my not so pretty solution below;
-------------
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

lots of info in the faq on what emissions can be connected to the weber. see #14.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

got her on the roll!!
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

and if anyone needs stock emissions shit or a carb i don't need it
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

What you want for the carb? Possibly all of the stock emission stuff too depending on price lol.
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

4wdEconoBox wrote:What you want for the carb? Possibly all of the stock emission stuff too depending on price lol.
id say like 100 bucks? (carb,all canisters and everything else i removed) plus shipping cost the only thing is i did cut the plug off the carb so i could use it for the choke power i can sent some pictures if you'd like to see it all better
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member

Post by Notmikeb »

A small concern on where you have your electric fuel pump mounted. Those electric conversion pumps don't like pulling gas, they prefer to push it. May never be an issue for you but if it overheats and dies on you, mount the replacement as close to the fuel tank side of the line as possible. They're happier there.
-------------
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

razorrichter wrote:
4wdEconoBox wrote:What you want for the carb? Possibly all of the stock emission stuff too depending on price lol.
id say like 100 bucks? (carb,all canisters and everything else i removed) plus shipping cost the only thing is i did cut the plug off the carb so i could use it for the choke power i can sent some pictures if you'd like to see it all better

Ouch, that carb is only worth around $20 I'd say, in that shape.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Yeah, thats a little more than I was expecting, thanks though!