midwest tercel 84 4wd

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
razorrichter
My tercel:: 1984 SR5

Re: midwest tercel 84 4wd

Post by razorrichter »

4wdEconoBox wrote:Yeah, thats a little more than I was expecting, thanks though!
You pay to ship it and it's your I was going to just scrap it haha
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Alright! Do you mind getting a shipping quote, because I have no idea how much it'd be haha.
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

4wdEconoBox wrote:Alright! Do you mind getting a shipping quote, because I have no idea how much it'd be haha.
Get me an adress man it a general area I guess
You can email me at ajrichter09@yahoo.com
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent choke set up/adjustment on the weber that would be great...
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

razorrichter wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent choke set up/adjustment on the weber that would be great...
manual or auto choke? most weber users here use the auto, though someone did recently mention having a manual choke on their weber. no idea how they had that rigged up. for the auto choke, you just use the switched 12 V wire that used to go to the auto choke on the stock carb. nice and easy.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

There is some adjustment that can be done on the electric choke when the car is fully warmed up. With the air cleaner off, make sure the choke butterfly is fully vertical once the engine has warmed. If not, there are screws that can be loosened on the side of the choke allowing you to rotate the mechanism slightly. I'm sure there is some adjustment that can be done cold as well but I never had to do it as mine seems to work fine.

If it is a manual choke, adjustment should be the same but easier as the engine doesn't even need to be warmed up or running. Just make sure it can completely open.

Water choke, you're on your own. I have no idea.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
razorrichter

Post by razorrichter »

Thanks dudes it's an auto choke I was just confused the booklet has a "fast idle" adjustment and I fallowed the steps and it didn't do shit? I don't know maybe I'm just slow
It's starting to get cold outside and it hesitates to start (I know webbers aren't good in extreme climates) but it's dosent seem to have a higher warm up idle or any variation in idle at all?
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

Fast idle is another system though the two are connected. When the car is cold, pumping the gas pedal in sets the carb in "fast idle mode". Tapping it again releases it. You want to set the fast idle on the weber for around 2k rpm or so. This will allow easier starts and faster warmup. I generally let mine run at fast idle for 10-15 seconds or so and then it runs fine. Make sure to set this while the car is cold.

You may have the choke not fully closing. If I remember right, this won't engage the fast idle cam. With the engine cold, rotate the choke until the butterfly just barely sits above the carb body. No more than 1/8" gap. With this now set, start the car and adjust fast idle before the choke starts opening (I guess you could unplug it until set).
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Notmikeb gets it correct. For clarification, you have to have both the fast idle adjustment, AND the choke adjusted properly for the cold start and fast idle to work properly. They are adjusted separately, to rotate the choke to adjust it you have to loosen the screws on the choke housing cover so it can rotate the butterfly to get it in the correct location, and than tighten the screws. than you can adjust the cold idle speed as outlined by the manual.

sometimes if the autochoke does not work some people will adjust it so it is always open (anything is possible on a car this old with an unknown history). Do not always amuse the last guy that worked on the car before you owned it knew what he was doing. I have bought lots of badly running Tercels to find things way out of adjustment, vac leaks everywhere, and vac tubes misrouted (the seller claimed a "professional" mechanic worked on it and said it need to be rebuilt to run correctly, and why he was selling it, the mechanic is a dolt, a costly one).

If the choke does not open after you get it adjust properly than you either have to replace the heating element that allows the choke to open (check there is actually 12 v at the connector, it might just be a fuse or bad connection), switch it to a manual choke control, or leave it in the position so it is always open and than just warm it up good before you drive off on cold mornings. this last option is only really practical as a temporary solution, pulling out into winter traffic with a cold engine and the choke not working can be very dangerous when the engine stalls on a busy street, right when you are trying to accelerate.

Cheer up, either way it is actually a fairly simple fix. Do not be discouraged, sometimes it can be frustrating, but once you finally sort it out and get it to work properly, you will be better equipped to fix it next time, and feel like it was not really that difficult, it is only your unfamiliarity with it that makes you feel like an idiot and that it is too hard to fix yourself. You can fix it, just stick with it until the problem is solved.

BTW, a vac leak or misrouted vacuum line could also make it stall out when cold, so do not neglect to check for vacuum leaks, and follow each of the vac lines in the vac diagram for your year and model of car. It is not difficult, it just takes some perseverance. Once you are familiar with all the vac operated systems you can check it all in less than 5 min. the webber has greatly fewer vac lines, but it still needs a few to run properly, so make sure there is no vac leak anywhere (base of the carb, intake manifold, a gasket surface, etc) not just in the few remaining vac lines.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Just in case you get ambitious and decide to tackle your broken bolt, or the electric pump dies on you. Here is a video of how to easily remove a broken bolt in aluminum.

WARNING: strong language in this video!!

https://youtu.be/fqZYgReuywM
Last edited by helipilot77 on Mon May 16, 2016 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

that was really neat. great info. the guy in the video is nauseating -- he's trying very hard to be a crass, over-the-top redneck and only ends up coming off as a phony, unfunny wannabe -- but i like the technique.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Technique: Unique and quite clever.
Instructor: .Insufferable and crude.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

He is Indeed crude. I suppose I should have placed a language warning in the post. I'll add that now.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

helipilot77 wrote:He is Indeed crude. I suppose I should have placed a language warning in the post. I'll add that now.
haha, no worries helipilot. i just thought he was annoying.