Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post by irowiki »

I've used both non hardening (black?) and hardening (red?) sealant on the fuel pump with success.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

red is the high temp stuff, for use on exhaust sytem. It cures but does not harden, stays rubbery. It should work just as well.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Oh, I haven't used hardening sealant yet, then!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there is a black goopy one that always stays soft and sticky, stains hands and clothing. That one is fuel resistant and best for use on parts that change because of temperature swings, and light flexible parts like the valve cover gasket (it can be left in place and reused too, like if you have to pull off the valve cover on the side of the road, it will reseal itself if not wiped off).

The black, blue and red "RTV" will go on goopy, but cure once in contact with the air. this is better for places with water or coolant on it (water pump) , and for filling large irregular gaps, like on the oil pan gasket. It stays rubbery, but not sticky. It can not really be reused, but it cleans off easy, pulls off like a rubbery string or sheet. This kind tends to dissolve in direct contact with gasoline, so not good for places with direct contact with fuel.

I use both, but the non-harding one is more useful in more places, so I carry only that one in my tool kit. Although it tends to be much more messy to use, and more difficult to clean off when replacing a part or gasket.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

...I washed my matchmark off the distributor.

Also, I think the oil pump housing may actually be leaking. My reaction to this is to spray the engine and transmission with some foaming GUNK degreaser and rinse it off, then change the oil and filter just in case the oil filter isn't seated right. If you can't tell, I am not interested in taking the crank pulley off yet AGAIN. I think to do the oil pump housing, I'd have to drop the oil pan. As fantastic as I am at making Toyota oil pan RTV gaskets, the space between the rear of the pan and the front differential is too tight and caked with muddy oil. It's not a job I ever want to do on a dirty engine, which also happens to be the only time it would need to be done.

I ordered the distributor O-ring today (Zach did not order it when I linked it, much to my chagrin) and replaced the o-ring on the oil dipstick tube. For some reason, an A/C system O-ring and some silicone gasket (copper) is not sufficient for sealing that leak. The old dizzy O-ring was plastic and covered in clear silicone gasket :shock: THE HUMANITY! (as well as more copper gasket).

I also replaced the spark plugs, which weren't DENSO. Plug for cylinder 1 had deposits on it, all the others looked normal. I will check it another day to see if it was a current problem or from the past. Also got NGK plug wires, and some SICKSPEED wire separators. The NGK wires are too small for the separators, so I put a thin wrap of electrical tape where the separators are bolted. This should prevent chafing and keep the wires sexily separated.

Tomorrow, I'm drilling some holes, tracing (and probably chopping) some wires, and some other minor things. If all goes well, we may even be able to take it to a wash bay and spray the engine bay down with some GUNK and high-pressure sprayers. We actually did this right after we got it home so I could trace oil leaks easier. I always spray everything down, including the electrical parts. I like to live on the edge.

I need to check the transmission oil level because the area around and directly behind the CV axles is really clean with fresh oil. If it's low, I'll have to get another quart of gear oil and top it off. I won't be able to replace the axle seals until I finish replacing the shocks and stuff on the other Tercel. When I replace the axle seals, CV axle boots, and steering rack boot gaiters, I will probably reseal the differential. If it looks like I have enough clearance with that cover off, I might drop the engine oil pan and reseal that, plus regasket the engine oil pump just because I have the RTV and gasket on hand.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

save the oil pan gasket for last, not a likely leak. Usually oil from elsewhere runs down to the oil pan lip and follows it around, so it looks like it the pan gasket that is leaking. They can develop leaks, but very rarely (unless a previous owner or poor mechanic recently had the pan off).

You can remove the oil pan without removing the engine or trans, but it is a real pain. If you will be pulling the trans to replace a clutch or rear seal, it can be done than without too much trouble. But do not pull the pan unless you know for sure it is the source of the oil leak.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Petros wrote:save the oil pan gasket for last, not a likely leak. Usually oil from elsewhere runs down to the oil pan lip and follows it around, so it looks like it the pan gasket that is leaking. They can develop leaks, but very rarely (unless a previous owner or poor mechanic recently had the pan off).

You can remove the oil pan without removing the engine or trans, but it is a real pain. If you will be pulling the trans to replace a clutch or rear seal, it can be done than without too much trouble. But do not pull the pan unless you know for sure it is the source of the oil leak.
Since I already had to do this on the red Tercel, I don't fancy doing it again. I'm hoping that the distributor gasket, tightening the oil filter maybe, snugging the valve cover (gently) a little more, and the oil dipstick o-ring will have fixed it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Did you check the cam/crank seals?

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

irowiki wrote:Did you check the cam/crank seals?
I replaced them, both were leaking. I'm sure this means the rear main is also leaking, but I will not suspect it unless I have to.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

They could still be leaking if they are grooved

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

irowiki wrote:They could still be leaking if they are grooved
No grooving was spotted! In other news, the cam on this Tercel looks better than the one on the red Tercel. I think one of the POs of the red one ...forgot oil or something, idk. That cam is chewed up, and I'm excited that my initial impression that the lobes shouldn't have sharp angles on the "toe" end was correct!

So we may end up sending that one in for a regrind at some point.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Finished the surprise! I think.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Ta-da!

Problem:

This car has air suction. Without the OEM intake AS valve, exhaust gases instead come out. Not only is this really loud and a CO hazard, I also feel that it has a negative impact on underhood temperatures. I can't figure out where the pipe actually connects to the exhaust manifold, though. The plan would be to cut it off and weld on a cap...but I think I will have to remove the manifolds, and the only way I know to do this is to pull the whole head.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

We just used a large bolt in the rubber hose the block that off on ours

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I can't get the idle to drop below 1100 RPMs when the engine is at operating temp. I know it's at least that warm because the fan comes on and barbecues me as I adjust the primary idle screw and the idle mix screw. I think I must have a vacuum leak somewhere downstream to the carb, but am not interested in diagnosing any more tonight.